Power Supply Question

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
segacanyon

Power Supply Question

Unread post by segacanyon »

I acquired a Mister setup (with the analog i/o and usb hub boards) from misteraddons a while ago and have since started to attach various controllers, wireless dongles and a flash drive via usb (also have something connected via snac, as well).

I'm still using the power supply (5v 2a) and splitter/power switch that came with the bundle, but have been reading that it might be wise to step up to a 5v 4a power supply to deal with all the connected devices. The product page for the splitter/power switch on misteraddons says it's rated for 5v 2a. Would I need to get a new splitter along with a new power supply?

Thanks!
AngelicLiver

Re: Power Supply Question

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

It is a good idea to get a better rated power supply if you are using a lot of accessories. You should be fine with the existing splitter but I've seen anecdotal evidence that they may experience some power drop.
DecoyObvious

Unread post by DecoyObvious »

I upgraded to a Mean Well 5V, 4A supply because I was having problems when using an external hdd.

I'm still using the power splitter I got from MisterAddons and it hasn't been an issue. Everything has been working great.
segacanyon

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I haven't stepped up to a mechanical external drive yet, but I do have 1 wired controller, 2 wireless 8bitdo dongles, a wireless dongle for a riitek keyboard, a 128gb flashdrive and a snac adapter all plugged in. Seems like I might be pushing the limit so its good to hear from someone using the same power splitter with an upgraded power supply.

Thanks again :)
retro

Unread post by retro »

Absolutely agree about the Meanwell 5V4A PSU, since you have so many accessories connected to the USB hub.

Also, I wanted to share that I have had very bad experiences with splitters, and sometimes my USB accessories fail to power on.

Better to connect the PSU directly to the IO board, and then buy a Male to Male barrel plug connector to feed the power from the Terasic DE-10 Nano to the USB hub.

2pcs-5-5x2-1mm-Male-to-Male-DC-Cable-Barrel-Connector-Male-Tip-5-5mmx2-1mm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
segacanyon

Hate to dredge up this old topic, but I finally got my hands on a Mean Well power supply. The model number is GST25A05-P1J.

I'm kinda dumb about these things, but I'm pretty sure this is one of the recommended power supplies. I just wanted to make sure before I use it and, like, blow up my MiSTer or something. Thanks!
AngelicLiver

segacanyon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:35 pm Hate to dredge up this old topic, but I finally got my hands on a Mean Well power supply. The model number is GST25A05-P1J.

I'm kinda dumb about these things, but I'm pretty sure this is one of the recommended power supplies. I just wanted to make sure before I use it and, like, blow up my MiSTer or something. Thanks!
Yes, the GST25A05-P1J is a known-good power supply. DE10-Nano wants a stable 5 volts and at 4 amps the Mean Well has plenty of headroom for the system as well as peripherals. Never ever plug a 12 volt supply in to the DE10-Nano.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

That's the one that the Mister Multisystem people sell. I haven't heard any complaints at all.
segacanyon

Ok, sounds good. But one last annoying question lol:

I'm pretty sure that this unit doesn't come with a power cord; can I use any standard (10a 125v) three prong cord?
AngelicLiver

segacanyon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:22 pm Ok, sounds good. But one last annoying question lol:

I'm pretty sure that this unit doesn't come with a power cord; can I use any standard (10a 125v) three prong cord?
Yes.

The power supply will convert the mains voltage (AC) to 5v (DC). The amperage isn't really relevant.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Yeah, you can use any power cord that fits. It means they don't have to localize the supply.

It shouldn't draw more than 25W or so, after losses, which is only about a quarter amp at 120V. You could use a seriously lousy cable and still be fine.

If you have to buy a cable, you might want one with a switch. It's best to put a power switch on the AC side, because the DC switches are often built poorly and cause voltage drops, degrading over time.
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

I can't thank everyone enough for this thread, (as trivial as a power supply discussion may seem to some). I am trying the Meanwell GST25A05-P1J after seeing it suggested here and that it is the one used in Multisystem setups. I want to pull my hair out after experiences in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4205
I like that it has 4 amps of power, has two of what I call 'Donkey Kong barrels' mid wire, and that it ends in a barrel connector instead of needing a conversion from any USB type.

For those that have it, how is the FEEL of the connection? Tight and snug, or wobbly like you are stressing the pin on the jack of the DE10? This may or may not fix my problems in the other thread, but it's a step in the right direction perhaps if not for wanting many controllers plugged in (and debating usb hdd vs networked).

I have a short barrel-to-barrel plug to connect the DE10 to [in my case], a Blisster board. Hopefully the Blisster is not my issue but that's for the other thread.
Djiem

Unread post by Djiem »

Hi! After reading this entire thread, I have a question.

I'm currently planning to get the Meanwell GST25A05-P1J as I'm starting to attach a lot of accessories to the USB Hub. The way I'm currently set up is:

Default power supply that came with the MiSTer bundle connected to a 5.5mm x 2.1mm Inline Power Switch plugged into the Digital IO board. I have a 5.5mm x 2.1mm Male to Male barrel plug cable running from the DE-10 Nano to the USB Hub, similar to those in retro's picture, but much shorter.

My questions is that cable that's running from the DE-10 Nano to the USB Hub, do those also have a rating? Do I need to change that cable if I'm getting the Meanwell GST25A05-P1J, or does it not matter?