USB Keyboard Not Recognised

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
thechef

USB Keyboard Not Recognised

Unread post by thechef »

Hi,
I'm new to FPGA/MiSTer - starting to get to grips with things and decided to install a [new] fresh MiSTer SD card using Mr Fusion. However, the keyboard isnt allowing input - it appears completely dead. Mister is loading - i'm just unable to invoke F12/ESC etc. (I have tried every key...).

The keyboard/OTG is fine as I can plug the 'old' SD card in, boot to MiSTer and it works fine - just seems to be my new install with the issue.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
AngelicLiver

Re: USB Keyboard Not Recognised

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Is your keyboard getting power? Does the caps or num lock toggle LED light up for example?

Have you tried reformatting the micro SD with SD Memory Card Formatter and reflashing the image?

Which application are you using to image the memory card? etcher, win32diskimager, dd?
thechef

Unread post by thechef »

thanks for the response.

I wonder if its a power issue...
Using the original / working SD card: The keyboard has power in that it works. However, the caps lock / num lock etc. lights do not light up. (they do if i plug into another device)

Using the new / not working SD card: the Caps/Num lock buttons do not light up, nor does the keyboard respond.

The only physical difference is the SD card. Is it possible my new/non-working SD card is drawing more power which is then effecting the ability to power the keyboard fully??

(I have tried reformatting and rewriting the SD card a couple of times - using Win32Diskimager)
thechef

Unread post by thechef »

My power supply is what was in the box - outputs 5v at 2amp
retro

Unread post by retro »

thechef wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:28 am Using the original / working SD card: The keyboard has power in that it works. However, the caps lock / num lock etc. lights do not light up. (they do if i plug into another device)
This is an indicator your MiSTer isn't getting enough power, especially when multiple USB devices are connected.

Best to upgrade to a 5V 4A power supply and then try again.
thechef

Unread post by thechef »

Ok - thanks.
I've purchased a 5v 4amp power supply. However, this doesn't power up the Mister at all. No led status light, nothing...
The power supply works.
Anyone have any recommendations of power supplies to use with the DE-10 nano?
retro

Unread post by retro »

Are you just using a bare DE-10 Nano board, or do you also have the MiSTer IO boards and USB hub?
AngelicLiver

thechef wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:32 am Ok - thanks.
I've purchased a 5v 4amp power supply. However, this doesn't power up the Mister at all. No led status light, nothing...
The power supply works.
Anyone have any recommendations of power supplies to use with the DE-10 nano?
I'd consider the Meanwell GST25A05-P1J (5V 4A) to be one of the best power supplies for the DE10-Nano. It's reasonably priced and available worldwide. The most important question is; is your USB hub powered? That's a little concerning you get no activity from that new power supply, is it the correct polarity? It should be center-positive.

O5728.png
O5728.png (10.84 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
thechef

Unread post by thechef »

Thanks - I’ve ordered a Meanwell.

I’m very certain the new supply was centre positive - that’s what the website said… however, I’ll triple check the actual device when I get a chance.

In terms of a USB hub, I’m actually using an OTG which expands to two USB connectors. The keyboard still fails to show power even with just that connected.

I’m a little sceptical its the power source, however, I’ve no better idea what the issue could be so I’m happy to explore/rule out power issues.
Fingers crossed you’re correct and I’ve bought the wrong thing.
AngelicLiver

The DE10-Nano doesn't really put out a great deal of amperage over the micro USB port so an OTG cable especially with a splitter that probably has its own power drop, this is less than ideal. I'd imagine once you have a working power supply you could be fine but in the long term I would really consider getting a powered OTG USB hub.

I remember seeing a similar problem with a cheap Chinese RGB keyboard I was using with a RPi years ago, its default on-state was with the RGB lighting enabled and it would draw over 500mA causing the Pi to become unstable.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

When I started I used a cheap non powered OTG USB hub with 2 wireless dongles (KB and mouse) and a USB controller using the original power supply, I guess your KB is drawing too much current.
Regarding your power supply not powering the board could be a wrong connector. I think it is 5.5mm/2.1mm, if yours is 5.5/2.5 the center conductor will not make contact.
Rog

Unread post by Rog »

Mine didn't work with mister either (otg, or via a powered hub) , but then I read one needs to check the dip switches. I am a new user, and it was the first problem I had.
thechef

Unread post by thechef »

Well this is fun...
My new 5v 4amp Meanwell power supply turned up - this works! At least, it powers up the FPGA.

However, I'm back to square one - the keyboard doesn't work (albeit, I do have a fancy power supply now too)
So, I've ruled out power issues (at least to the FPGA board).
I'm back to having 2 Sd cards - one where the keyboard works without issue. The other where the keyboard is just not recognized/powered?

Could this be a software issue? I'm simply using the Mr Fusion SD card maker - and haven't really got any further than that.
Any further assistance would be much appreciated.

Also, to answer a question that's been asked a couple of times - 'm not using an IO board, nor am I using a USB hub per se. I have an OTG cable - which expands out to two USB ports. This is connected to the micro-USB port on the Nano and whilst i'm testing this - I only have one device plugged in - the keyboard - which is a bog standard $5 wired USB keyboard. no fancy RBG etc...
(remembering this all works perfectly with the 'other' SD card)
thechef

Unread post by thechef »

Rog wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:27 pm Mine didn't work with mister either (otg, or via a powered hub) , but then I read one needs to check the dip switches. I am a new user, and it was the first problem I had.
Thanks, I have checked some other posts and the dip switches are 'correct'
These are:
(with the HDMI port on the left hand side)
Up. Down. Up. Down Up. Up.
Rog

Unread post by Rog »

Fwiw, I used this to do my setup

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/mr-fusion

As you say, it works with one sdcard, so that suggests it is not power, and you have ruled out the switches.

I know no more that you, probably less, but thought I would mention it.