Tutorial: How to set up your MiSTer with a J-PAC/I-PAC

Community created YouTube tutorials, interviews and helpful online information guides.
Giddygoon

Re: Tutorial: How to set up your MiSTer with a J-PAC/I-PAC

Unread post by Giddygoon »

My Jouurey to Set-up a 6 Button and 2 joysticks Jamma Cab

I was almost going to give up on JPAC and look to other options but if you follow these steps then the JPAC works fine and is seen as two Game Controllers. I have a player one and two fully playable and all six buttons each side responding to the Mister.

First make sure you download the 2020 Fireware from Ultimarc, Please note this only works on a brand new JPAC. update the JPAC with the WinPAC software to update.

Then re-asssign the keys via WinPac software so instead of the Jamma Startard i.e Left Ctrl, Space
its should be like this Button 1 A, Button 2 B etc and do the same for the player 2 side.

Then connect to your Mister and Jamma loom, then switch on your Arcade Cab and Hold down Player 1 and Button 3, To test plug back into a Laptop and check with WinPac sortware and it should say XInput at the bottom of the screen. you should not see keyboard, if you do see keyboard then rinse and repaeat, player 1 button 3 then JPAC will flash when it changes modes then disconnet and check with the WinPAC software.

YOU DONT WANT THE WINPAC SOFTWARE OR THE MISTER TO SEE YOUR JPAC AS A KEYBOARD.

I struggled with this for a while, while you can use the JPAC in keyboard mode, you will run into problems with the Neo Geo core seeing your JPAC as one device and you can't trigger player 2.

I had to try and three or four times to get the JPAC in to dual controller mode, i.e turn off turn it on and hold the player and 3 button on the player 1 side to get the JPAC into the correct mode.

Once this is done then connect to Mister and re-define keys it should say D-Pad R ... not Keyobard Right
Then just set up the keys as normal and now you can hit Space bar to skip buttons you don't need to set I.e Mouse left

Now the Neo Geo core will see the JPAC as two controllers. and you will have to set up each arcade core game by game ( a bit of a pain ) but its worth it, I also set my arcade games to FreePlay but not all games have this option.

So there you have it, I have seen a lot of videos on YouTube saying that the JPAC can't deal with two players, not true
This why I have left this for others who want to get there Jamma Cabs connected to Mister FPGA using a JPAC