Vertical cropping displayed for 1200p except C64 core

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Insert Disk Two

Vertical cropping displayed for 1200p except C64 core

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

I am testing a 1200p monitor with MiSTer. For some reason vertical cropping is disabled in the menu is disabled for console and arcade cores I tested. It is available for the C64 core though.

Any ideas as in why? Thanks!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Vertical cropping displayed for 1200p except C64 core

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

For most cores that have vertical cropping only apply to 1080p resolution, and are greyed out otherwise.

For NTSC systems its highly debatable whether you'd even want a crop. 1200p is already a perfect 5x of 240p, and common 224p resolutions come close to filling the screen at 1120 tall, and you'd lose a ton of information if you tried to bump that up to a 6x scale.
Insert Disk Two

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

Yes when you look at it like that it makes sense.
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

Cropping is a special circumstances thing for many cores. To get a 5X 1080p crop, you not only need the correct resolution set but also have vscale_mode=0 (fit to screen). Without it, it will be grayed out on the cores that did implement it. The list may be larger now but it had to be manually added to cores so it's not universal across all cores.

I would also echo the recommendation to take advantage of your monitor and set a custom resolution for that 1200p resolution. Not only are you no longer bound by settings to get that 5X integer scale but also wider handhelds like the GBA and WonderSwan fill out well on 16:10. I personally keep mine on an alt ini so I can keep a default for a standard TV but I always switch it over when using my 16:10 screen.