MegaAGS favorites.. kind of

Raul3D

MegaAGS favorites.. kind of

Unread post by Raul3D »

I came up with a pretty hacky way to create favorite folders in MegaAGS. If you want to try it, follow these steps:

On your PC:
  1. Download the attached fav.run file.
  2. Open the downloaded file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad++).
  3. It contains a line for each game. Remove the ; at the start of the line, if you want the game to be included in the favorites folder.
  4. Save the file and transfer it to the Minimig "shared" folder.
Inside Minimig:
  1. Close the MegaAGS launcher (e.g. ESC).
  2. From Workbench open a new command line by using the "Shell" icon.
  3. Go to the shared folder.

Code: Select all

cd mister:
  4. Run the favorites script.

execute fav.run MY_FOLDER_NAME
    Replace MY_FOLDER_NAME with how you want your favorites folder to be named. Do not use special characters.
  5. Restart Minimig.
Remarks:
  • Use at your own risk. I don't have much know-how in AmigaDOS, so this script might have side effects I am not aware of.
  • Do not use special characters in the target folder name. The script cannot handle this at the moment. Letters, numbers and _ are fine.
  • I do not have a list of all included games, so the game list is a wild guess from the titles.csv from GitHub. It might contain games that are not present and it might not work for all games.
  • There are probably better ways to do this. Ideas for improvements are welcome.
  • You can run the script multiple times for the same folder. It will copy new games over, but will not delete existing games from the folder.
  • To remove a favorites folder again:

cd amiga:AGS2
    delete MY_FOLDER_NAME.ags all
Attachments
fav.zip
(19.8 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
CeeDeeVee

Re: MegaAGS favorites.. kind of

Unread post by CeeDeeVee »

Better than my solution, so thanks for sharing!
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Raul3D wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:06 pm

I came up with a pretty hacky way to create favorite folders in MegaAGS. If you want to try it, follow these steps:

Thanks!

I've gone through the steps:

· Downloaded the file, edited it with a dedicated code editor, uploaded it to /media/fat/games/Amiga/shared

· Opened Shell in Amiga core, changed dir to mister:, ran the script with a folder name without special characters or spaces.

It appeared to copy all the files into the/a folder, at least it said "...copied" after each file, one by one.

Restarted the Amiga core.

But there's nothing in the AmigaVision/MegaAGS launcher, at least I can't find the new fave folder anywhere. Where is it supposed to appear exactly?

I have a feeling either I'm using the wrong "shared" folder or the script isn't making the folder named AGS2.

Could you be more specific about the various paths?

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

Thumbs up for the effort! I should probably add a favourites feature built in to AGS2, shouldn’t I? 🤔

M.Walrus

Unread post by M.Walrus »

Optiroc wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:58 pm

Thumbs up for the effort! I should probably add a favourites feature built in to AGS2, shouldn’t I? 🤔

Been hoping for this addition for years now. It would definitely help the experience of getting back to gems that folks discover in that vast library!

lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Optiroc wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:58 pm

That would be beyond awesome.

Universally useful would be a simple user favorites list with the ability to add or remove games. It could sort alphanumerically by default.

Other very useful features would be the ability to manually re-order the list (e.g. to make a numbered top-list) and to have several, named lists for various purposes.

For instance I have an alphanumerically sorted game list of my 220 favorites, a numbered top 100, a high-score games list of about 50, and a smaller multi-player list. Right now I have to resort to all kinds of workarounds and external referencing.

PS. Any way of fixing the typos/incorrect naming of titles to match the actual original spelling? I'd be happy to help out.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

lagerfeldt wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:17 am

Universally useful would be a simple user favorites list with the ability to add or remove games. It could sort alphanumerically by default.

Other very useful features would be the ability to manually re-order the list (e.g. to make a numbered top-list) and to have several, named lists for various purposes.

For instance I have an alphanumerically sorted game list of my 220 favorites, a numbered top 100, a high-score games list of about 50, and a smaller multi-player list. Right now I have to resort to all kinds of workarounds and external referencing.

Your first sentence describes what I'll implement, to the letter.

More advanced use cases would require too much UI to be implemented to be fun (or good). What you're describing in the last paragraph is essentially what I set out to do for myself when I created the AGSImager set of scripts (which are used to build MegaAGS). But it's quite possible that the (fairly small) additions I'm now making for the favorites feature can be expanded on a bit to allow for custom lists stored on the Saves drive.

lagerfeldt wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:17 am

PS. Any way of fixing the typos/incorrect naming of titles to match the actual original spelling? I'd be happy to help out.

Sure! Just create an issue or PR in the repo.