Totally New To All Of This

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
thjxw05

Totally New To All Of This

Unread post by thjxw05 »

Good morning,

Well having watched a bit of youtube, I bit the bullet and ordered a DE10 from the manufacturer - given the stock shortage I thought it would come in June or July.

FedEx has just emailed and it's coming next week! :D

So I have ordered the extra RAM, a keyboard, a wifi/Bluetooth adaptor, SD card and a USB hub from my good friend Amazon!

So my questions are:

1. - Have I got everything I need to make it work? - I think I have
2. - Cores - I download these from the wiki for the ones I want - do I do them all one at a time?
3. - Once I have the cores I will need to get the games - where do we do for them, manly 80's (especially Elite (if it's around)) and sega mega drive (they used to come on CD's from memory)

I have limited knowledge of how this all works for if they are elsewhere in the guide please tell me as I couldn't see them.

Thank you

John
cursedverses

Re: Totally New To All Of This

Unread post by cursedverses »

Just a quick one - do you have an OTG USB cable, or is the USB hub an OTG hub? If not, you'll need an USB OTG adaptor too.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

1. if you're using a hdmi monitor you'll be fine, if you want to use a CRT you'll need an i/o board. otherwise you've got everything (joypad, mouse?)
2. you can install the cores one-by-one if you only require a specific ones, or you can run the update.all script which will download all the cores, some of the bios needed to run them, plus arcade cores/zip files.. (not computer rom's)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide
https://youtu.be/pZEpusjC6QA

3. the internet really is your friend. I'm sure they're all 'archive.org'd somewhere ;)

if you've used a PI then you'll have no trouble navigating the MiSTer. Follow some of the online guides.. any probs.. everyone is here to help. :)
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
thjxw05

Unread post by thjxw05 »

cursedverses wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:15 am Just a quick one - do you have an OTG USB cable, or is the USB hub an OTG hub? If not, you'll need an USB OTG adaptor too.
Hi no I haven’t order that. I will look into this

Thank you
thjxw05

Unread post by thjxw05 »

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:15 am 1. if you're using a hdmi monitor you'll be fine, if you want to use a CRT you'll need an i/o board. otherwise you've got everything (joypad, mouse?)
2. you can install the cores one-by-one if you only require a specific ones, or you can run the update.all script which will download all the cores, some of the bios needed to run them, plus arcade cores/zip files.. (not computer rom's)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide
https://youtu.be/pZEpusjC6QA

3. the internet really is your friend. I'm sure they're all 'archive.org'd somewhere ;)

if you've used a PI then you'll have no trouble navigating the MiSTer. Follow some of the online guides.. any probs.. everyone is here to help. :)
I did look at Google it did give me much What is a PI?

Thanks for you help.

JW
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

What is a PI?
Raspberry Pi. This assumes you have at least a little Linux experience, not necessary but can help you acclimatise yourself.

If you follow that video linked in the earlier post you should be just fine and update_all.sh is your friend.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:15 am if you want to use a CRT you'll need an i/o board
I/O board is not needed for that, there is Direct Video option.
Mills

Unread post by Mills »

akeley wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:50 am
bazza_12 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:15 am if you want to use a CRT you'll need an i/o board
I/O board is not needed for that, there is Direct Video option.
That's true, but you'll need an HDMI to VGA, they can be from 3-5 Euro/Dollar to 30, depending of their quality, or if they include a good/bad audio output.

Also I read there might be some trouble with certain cores that do not work well, but I don't really know.
thjxw05

Unread post by thjxw05 »

Many thanks all, I think I have found the archive :shock:

I will try to get myself up and working next week.

Prepare for many questions!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Mills wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:56 am That's true, but you'll need an HDMI to VGA, they can be from 3-5 Euro/Dollar to 30, depending of their quality, or if they include a good/bad audio output.

Also I read there might be some trouble with certain cores that do not work well, but I don't really know.
There's no need to buy the expensive ones. And all cores work the same as on I/O if you use the right cables.

Soon it will be possible to buy dedicated Direct Video cables with in-built DAC btw.
thjxw05

Unread post by thjxw05 »

OK I have myself up and running -

How do I get a game to run - I have so ISO files and I can see the core on the list. But I cannot see how to get them to play?

so close HELP!

John
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

thjxw05 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 pm OK I have myself up and running -

How do I get a game to run - I have so ISO files and I can see the core on the list. But I cannot see how to get them to play?

so close HELP!

John
Load the core, if the menu don't pop up, press F12.

Top option should be selected, here you see the supported formats. Press A. List of games with supported file extension should now be shown. Press A again to start a game.

If no games are shown, non of those in the games folder is of a supported file format. Or the games are the wrong folder.
thjxw05

Unread post by thjxw05 »

Thank you I have put the .MD files in the same directory as the core - IE on the SD drive with the cores for all the consoles - Should I have them somewhere else?

I can see load *.BIN,GEN,MD

If I hit return I get <UP = DIR>

A = No files

So close to getting this right I think
thjxw05

Unread post by thjxw05 »

I have tied putting them in with the console, no luck - I have put them into the root core of the SD card no luck - I have named a file called games - in the console file - no luck.

I have tied the wiki and cannot seem to find a beginners guide to this Sorry
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

thjxw05 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:18 pm Thank you I have put the .MD files in the same directory as the core - IE on the SD drive with the cores for all the consoles - Should I have them somewhere else?

A = No files

Remove them form the Cores directory

They should be in /media/Fat/Games/ CORE NAME

where Core name is the core you are running

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... tup/games/
Karmeck

Unread post by Karmeck »

thjxw05 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:18 pm Thank you I have put the .MD files in the same directory as the core - IE on the SD drive with the cores for all the consoles - Should I have them somewhere else?

A = No files

Well, look here. Iso is not supported. (don't have the psx core, do did not know)

You have to covert your file to bin and cue file format. I use magic iso. Should be as easy as to open the iso file and then save/export it as a bin and cue file.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

As mentioned, I suggest using the update_all script. This will give you a bunch of working Arcade games to start with. For the other things, you just need to drop the proper files into the proper folders and launch the core, then hit F12 to bring up the menu and pick a game. You will also need to map your joystick controls. Do this before launching a core first. Then each core could be mapped also, but may not be necessary. To use the update_all script, you need to hit F12 and left arrow to get to the page where the scripts are (where you need to copy the update_all.sh file into also). Then run it from the scripts folder. There are youtube videos showing you how to install the update_all script.
thjxw05

Unread post by thjxw05 »

To everyone who helped THANK YOU so much, I have the little machine up and running. And a tonn of Genisis Games working as well as the arcades.

Thanks again all

John