USB dead is it my hub, DE-10 Nano, or ?

steveskr

USB dead is it my hub, DE-10 Nano, or ?

Unread post by steveskr »

Pulling my hair out on this one. Wondering if the micro-USB port on my DE-10 Nano has somehow died, not sure how to how to proceed. Perhaps someone has better thoughts than me..?

A couple of months ago, my MiSTer stopped recognizing my cheap-o bluetooth dongle. I replaced it with an XBox wireless dongle which worked fine until a few weeks ago, when I booted my MiSTer and it refused to sync with my controller. After fiddling around with pairing the dongle with my controller, my USB Hub board (ver 2.1) seemed to die -- no lights on ports, no indication that it was recognizing devices, etc.

I pulled my case apart and noticed that, upon powering up the unit, the power light on my USB hub would flicker red briefly, but then nothing..

I tried the obvious stuff: pulling and reseating my USB bridge (and swapping it out -- I have two), making sure that my power bridge had good contact with the DE-10 Nano and the USB Hub (and swapping that out for a splitter), etc. I then suspected my power supply (a Meanwell 5v/4a model), but that was delivering 5v according to my multimeter. I also tried the (2a) power supply that came with the DE10 Nano for good measure, but no change.

I replaced the USB Hub board with one built by another provider, but that also didn't work for me (same deal: quick flash of red in the power LED, then nothing). I've swapped out DRAM (I have 3x 128Mb units here, all seem to work) and replaced my Digital IO board with a working Analog IO board. Still no change.

After reading that some folks had problems with newer drivers/Linux builds causing similar issues, I tried setting up a new SDCard using a vanilla installation from July 2021. The MiSTer booted, but still no power to the USB hub, no devices recognized.

As my last step, I purchased a (non-powered) micro-USB hub (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JL837X8), hoping that I could plug this directly into my DE-10 and perhaps get it to recognize my keyboard or a wired gamepad. When I turn on the DE-10, the hub does shows a single red light on top, but still no devices recognized by the MiSTer.

At this point I'm not sure what else to try, other than replacing the DE-10 Nano. Am I missing anything obvious here?
retro

Re: USB dead is it my hub, DE-10 Nano, or ?

Unread post by retro »

I had the exact same problem too

Are you using a Y-splitter for the power supply?

Try connecting the Meanwell's barrel jack directly to the IO board, then use a male-to-male barrel jack adapter to connect the DE-10 Nano to the USB hub. That was what I did to solve my USB hub woes.
steveskr

Thanks for the thought! I did try wiring my USB hubs using a splitter (analog IO card, using the Meanwell 5v/4a) and then with the power configuration that you're suggesting here (digital IO card, Meanwell 5v/4a plugged into the IO board, m2m barrel jack adapter between the DE-10 and USB hub). Same results for me in either case: no lights on hub, no devices detected.
retro

Unread post by retro »

Try flashing another SD card with the Mr Fusion MiSTer build and then put it in and see if it makes a difference.

Also check the USB bridge isn't touching any of the solder points at the underside of the DE-10 Nano as that is another possibility
steveskr

More good thoughts. I just tried the Mr. Fusion build on a new 128Gb SD card with the same result -- no lights on Mister USB Hub, and no response when I attach a micro-USB hub directly to the DE-10 (and attach dongles to that). From what I can see, it doesn't appear that my USB Hub is touching the underside of the DE-10 Nano.

Really hoping I didn't somehow wreck or fry the micro-USB port on my DE-10 Nano but running out of ideas. I've placed an order for a replacement from Terasic, guess I'll settle in and wait.
retro

Unread post by retro »

steveskr wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:19 pmno response when I attach a micro-USB hub directly to the DE-10 (and attach dongles to that).
Oh no... this is a very bad sign :(
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

OTG USB hub?
steveskr

Yes, I've removed the MiSTer USB hub (I can't get either of the boards I have here to work) and am running with an OTG USB hub to try to narrow down the problem. I'm currently using a Digital IO board (though the same problem happens with Analog IO) and have SW3 set on the DE-10 Nano.

When I boot the DE-10 Nano, lights come on normally, the MiSTer boots, and HDMI video looks great. The OTG USB hub lights up with a single red LED (power), and if I plug in a simple wired keyboard, I get a power light on the keyboard but no responsiveness (caps lock doesn't light up, can't get to the OSD, etc). I've tried with wired and wireless keyboards, controllers, etc -- nothing responds. Open to any other ideas but losing hope..

Photos here:
IMG-7081.jpg
IMG-7081.jpg (293.87 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
IMG-7084.jpg
IMG-7084.jpg (275.37 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
steveskr

As a followup to this thread, I received a new DE-10 Nano from Terasic yesterday, verified that the OTG USB hub worked fine with it, reassembled my MiSTer and now all is working. If anyone out there repairs DE-10 Nanos please ping me, I'd love to salvage the old board..
BlockABoots

Unread post by BlockABoots »

Im having the same issue currently. I have the RetroCastle IO board from AliExpress and noticed that my USB devices were always hit and miss if they worked, i had to power off and on a few times and then they would work but after a while that stopped working. I then found out if i didn't insert the USB bridge adapter all the way then this got it to work but was very hit and miss, plug it in too far or not far enough then it didn't work. I thought it was RetroCastles IO board so got a replacement and the same thing happens, i even got another USB Bridge adapter but that didn't work either so i think the Micro USB OTG port is buggered.

I Will attempt to replace the port myself but first i need to know the correct Micro USB port to get, does anyone know the correct name of this micro USB on the MiSTer or part number?
Primeira_Fase

Unread post by Primeira_Fase »

BlockABoots wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:43 pm

Im having the same issue currently. I have the RetroCastle IO board from AliExpress and noticed that my USB devices were always hit and miss if they worked, i had to power off and on a few times and then they would work but after a while that stopped working. I then found out if i didn't insert the USB bridge adapter all the way then this got it to work but was very hit and miss, plug it in too far or not far enough then it didn't work. I thought it was RetroCastles IO board so got a replacement and the same thing happens, i even got another USB Bridge adapter but that didn't work either so i think the Micro USB OTG port is buggered.

I Will attempt to replace the port myself but first i need to know the correct Micro USB port to get, does anyone know the correct name of this micro USB on the MiSTer or part number?

Did you solved It? I have the exactly same issue, i already have attempt RetroCastle board and Mister ADDONS board, both the same issue, i am thinking It ia DE10 nano faulty.

Primeira_Fase

I turned on my DE10 NANO without the IO card and without the usb HUB to test if my problem was with the DE10 NANO, only the DE10 NANO, the memory and the SD card. And really nothing works on USB.
Help me to find out if the problem is physical or it could be in linux, or even a corrupted SD card.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

That little $8 hub that steveskr linked should be a hard diagnostic method. I was using that exact hub for awhile (replaced it with a powered USB switchbox), and it should work flawlessly. If it doesn't, and your power supply is 4A, you quite likely have a bad port. I'd pull all the other boards off and test it with a naked DE-10 to be certain.

Terasic may be able to fix it, although they may charge for the repair.

CMR

Unread post by CMR »

You might give some place like northridgefix a call to replace your USB port. They fix all kinds of odd hardware including key fobs and GPUs. They also have a youtube channel if you want to see what kind of work they do.

Primeira_Fase

Malor wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:11 am

That little $8 hub that steveskr linked should be a hard diagnostic method. I was using that exact hub for awhile (replaced it with a powered USB switchbox), and it should work flawlessly. If it doesn't, and your power supply is 4A, you quite likely have a bad port. I'd pull all the other boards off and test it with a naked DE-10 to be certain.

Terasic may be able to fix it, although they may charge for the repair.

Thanks, i sent the DE10 nano board to Terasic, they will fix It.