Best Controllers to Use?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
deltax0

Best Controllers to Use?

Unread post by deltax0 »

At the moment i use the blister. Snak is almost the same. LLPA notice difference. USB is fine in the most part thou.
Just use the retro controllers i had and bought over the years. Official.But those are old now. Need good cleaning, especially if your grabbing one from a retro store.
PS5 controller and ps2 controller for the PSX core.
I am thinking in getting those 8 bit one's for wireless. Retro bit seem to be good. Don't have ether.
Retro fighters has a nice Saturn controller, there is a nes one but that's kinda weird, has turbo at least.
New console controllers do work. You can find all sorts of them. there going to be usb. It should be fine in the most part. Kinda want the retro feel sometimes.

Hope some third party company makes a set of retro controllers for retro consoles. But they have to be high quality. I also kind of want something new.
ThetaX55
MiSTer
4tb external hard drive, blister and io.
pac

Re: Best Controllers to Use?

Unread post by pac »

When it comes to wireless - huge fan of the M30 2.4GHz controller from 8bitdo. Dpad feels great, buttons too and built-in turbo.
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

I'd vouch for 8BitDo's controllers too, the M30 2.4GHz is excellent. Their bluetooth and "DIY" kits are brilliant too if the lag doesn't dissuade you too much. DIY DaemonBite adapters are cheap, extremely low-latency and flexible for the tinkerer.

I've not been especially impressed with Retro-Bit's controllers, compared to the M30 the Megadrive and Saturn pads didn't feel nearly as premium or solidly built. Both got returned pretty sharpish.

MiSTerAddons has an absolutely superb and pretty exhaustive resource that lists controller input lag, worth checking that out before buying anything.
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

I'm using the 8BitDo Pro 2 Controller for most cores, but have a Retrobit wired Megadrive pad for the Sega stuff.
I can absolutely recommend the pads (both wired) as they have long cords too.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I primarily use the Dualsense controllers now with a Bluetooth 5.0 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DFBNG7F/) after having used the 8BitDo SN30 Pro 2, and then an 8BitDo SN30 Pro plus before that. I also have been using Timville's Triple Daemonbite spinoff adapter (https://www.tindie.com/products/timvill ... b-adapter/ - https://github.com/timville85/TripleController) for NES/SNES/Genesis original controllers, which was based on MickGuyver's daemonbite open source project(https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... ollers-USB). I would have bought MickGuyver's adapters from his store but they have been out of stock for quite some time now (which is fine, we all have a life outside of these hobbies).

I do have his KTRL Arcade Mini (https://www.daemonbite.com/product/ktrl-arcade-mini/), but I think it was one of the last ones he sold unfortunately. It's an amazing arcade encoder, I use it in my barcade --> https://github.com/birdybro/MiSTer-Barcade (which uses another open source design that was made for a Pi with some modifications to the BoM pretty much to make it suit the MiSTer more). I made a work in progress PCB design to do the equivalent here if anyone is interested --> https://github.com/birdybro/DaemonBite- ... master/PCB - It's untested, but I had it checked by an EE friend of mine, it's my first PCB design so I'm sure it's not optimal. It might work? Just haven't had time to solder it up and test it full yet... I should do that today since I have time finally hehe.
birdybro~
IRONBERG

Unread post by IRONBERG »

I have all controllers you can imagine. 8bitdo, original, wired wireless. I do prefer xbox one/s/x controllers. I do experience the lowest lag with these when used in 2.4 ghz. Love the d-pad and buttons. The 8bitdo is just a tad slower for me. I don't really fancy the flat top on sn30 Pro and pro2. The old 8vitdo snes pads are OK. But these are not sold any longer due to Nintendo copyright bs.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Anything 8bitDo has been fantastic.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

I use a 2.4ghz Genesis 8BitDo M30 connected to Genesis Daemonbite adapter. I use OG Genesis controllers also with said adapters.
Fear is the mind killer!
witinhalf

Unread post by witinhalf »

Is there a good 2.4ghz playstation or xbox style controller for MiSTer? I currently use 8bitdo M30 controllers and love them.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

witinhalf wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:40 pm Is there a good 2.4ghz playstation or xbox style controller for MiSTer? I currently use 8bitdo M30 controllers and love them.
Logitech made some good 2.4ghz controllers late in the PS2 life. I would just say use a modern Playstation or XBox controller if you must the PS3 duel shock controller is the same exact form factor, will pair with a simple bluetooth adapter and should work fine. Late model PS4 controllers and PS5 duel sense controllers have very low lag over bluetooth Same with the latest Xbox controller.
Fear is the mind killer!
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

I just splurged and grabbed a DualSense and a Bluetooth 5.0 adapter to use as my main “all-purpose” controller and I’m really liking it. Latency over BT feels as good as my various 2.4g wireless controllers.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

AngelicLiver wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:43 pmI've not been especially impressed with Retro-Bit's controllers, compared to the M30 the Megadrive and Saturn pads didn't feel nearly as premium or solidly built. Both got returned pretty sharpish.
I mostly vouch for the M30 as well.

I just wanted to comment on Retro-Bits Saturn controllers. I just recently got into the Sega Saturn. Bought OG hardware, ODE modded it, and what have you. I have a few OG controllers and purchased a wireless 2.4ghz one for the system as well. Now, I did get the wireless first, and when I first laid hands on it...it felt off. It wasn't until I got the OGs that I realized that they felt almost identical. I have a rather mint OG White Saturn Controller and 3D Controller and gotta say the build quality is almost 1 to 1. After using them for awhile they feel great. It's just kinda shocking how "loose" some of the buttons come off initially.
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

using 8bitdo pro2,sn30 pro,m30,lite,n30ns with usb2,retrobit megadrive,retrobit saturn.