SG-1000 Support in Both Colecovision and Master System Cores Redundant?

SegaSnatcher

SG-1000 Support in Both Colecovision and Master System Cores Redundant?

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

Just my opinion, but it seems redundant that SG-1000 is featured in both Colecovision and Master System cores. Also, more interesting is that SG-1000 performs better on Coleco core than SMS core (i.e. less games with graphical glitches).

I think ideally Sega systems should be combined and Coleco should be its own thing. There was no SG-1000 adapter for Colecovision anyways. I understand it was added because the hardware is similar, but I think having SG-1000 support on both cores might cause some confusion and since they don't perform the same is an issue.

TLPD-AVW

Re: SG-1000 Support in Both Colecovision and Master System Cores Redundant?

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

I believe that Sega Mark III's backwards compatibility with SG-1000 software is not perfect on real hardware. Due to ColecoVision and SG-1000 being almost sibling systems with just slightly different specs, it would make sense for Coleco core eventually becoming closer to a real SG-1000 console than going through Master System's backwards compatibility layer. Also, there is a historical precedent from 1986 for Coleco/SG-1000 hybrid approach in form of a clone console called Dina which had two catridge slots for Coleco and SG games.

Eventually, when the project is closer to maturity like MAME currently is, it would be desirable to give user a proper choice of simulated hardware for games with its quirks and flaws, just like you can today pick several different models of early IBM-compatible computers in MAME, only to play with a couple of same DOS games which behave almost identically on all machines. MiSTer is obviously not on the same level of completeness, but I believe that having more simulated hardware options for end users to tinker with is not a bad thing.

If I had to remove SG-1000 support from one core out of principle to prevent duplicate work, I'd keep it in the Coleco core. Hardware similarity beats branding in my opinion. SG-1000 is already an exotic console, so people who have games for that thing loaded on their MiSTer probably already know about ColecoVision.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Nah, more options GOOD.
Dreams don't die!
SegaSnatcher

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

TLPD-AVW wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:23 pm I believe that Sega Mark III's backwards compatibility with SG-1000 software is not perfect on real hardware. Due to ColecoVision and SG-1000 being almost sibling systems with just slightly different specs, it would make sense for Coleco core eventually becoming closer to a real SG-1000 console than going through Master System's backwards compatibility layer. Also, there is a historical precedent from 1986 for Coleco/SG-1000 hybrid approach in form of a clone console called Dina which had two catridge slots for Coleco and SG games.

Eventually, when the project is closer to maturity like MAME currently is, it would be desirable to give user a proper choice of simulated hardware for games with its quirks and flaws, just like you can today pick several different models of early IBM-compatible computers in MAME, only to play with a couple of same DOS games which behave almost identically on all machines. MiSTer is obviously not on the same level of completeness, but I believe that having more simulated hardware options for end users to tinker with is not a bad thing.

If I had to remove SG-1000 support from one core out of principle to prevent duplicate work, I'd keep it in the Coleco core. Hardware similarity beats branding in my opinion. SG-1000 is already an exotic console, so people who have games for that thing loaded on their MiSTer probably already know about ColecoVision.
Definitely bring up some good points there. My main concern is someone trying SG-1000 on SMS core seeing issues and not realizing they can try the SG-1000 compatibility on Colecovision core that might perform better. Also, not sure if the issues I've seen with SG-1000 on SMS core is accurate to real hardware. Championship Baseball is unplayable and a few other games because of complete graphical corruption.