General thoughts on GunCon2 vs SNAC with original light gun

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
zezretro

General thoughts on GunCon2 vs SNAC with original light gun

Unread post by zezretro »

I am evaluating a GunCon2 or getting the SNAC adapters needed to use an original light gun.

Both solutions would be about the same price for me. I already have several original light guns.

Any thoughts or experiences on one being better or easier or weird problems?

I am on the fence. SNAC adapters is more stuff hanging out of the MiSTer but then again GunCon2 still needs the composite sync plugged in (I mostly use an analog io board to SCART connection, so I'd need to break out sync)

thank you
Chilli_Vibes

Re: General thoughts on GunCon2 vs SNAC with original light gun

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Would also be interested in this topic, as I also own many original guns from the 8-bit, and 16-bit generation, along with Saturn, PS1, PS2, and PS3.
(I mostly use an analog io board to SCART connection, so I'd need to break out sync)
I believe one of these should work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HU7LW80/

I have one, but haven't had time to dig out one of my gun controllers. It has full RGB Scart pass-through.
I would also like to know if you can use one gun of choice, across ALL cores that support gun control, even arcade cores.
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

That adaptor should work fine (I've been trying to find mine!).
Not sure of your locations, but many UK SCART TVs also have a phono for composite (and audio), I plugged my GunCon 2 into that and used my VGA-SCART cable in the back of the TV.

This is on PSX Core with Direct Video. I have not done extensive testing but i could hit the bad guys in Time Crisis.
lu_source

Unread post by lu_source »

I prefer the GunCon 2, but I only have a CRT with composite. However, there are some rare times that I actually want to use an original NES zapper, so I pull out my SNAC setup for that. If I had to choose between just having one over the other, I would take the GunCon 2. The convenience wins. Since you already have several lightguns you can always get yourself SNAC adapters later if you ever feel the need to use them.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

Same thought as lu above me, I prefer the GunCon (I don't have SNAC adaptors, though). Simply being able to navigate menus with the gun and switching cores without ever having to change controllers or cable setups is simply too convenient to pass up. Besides, the GunCon feels as accurate to me as my original zapper on my NES. The fact I can add a crosshair with the GunCon is icing on the cake.