Joystick does not work

tauceti

Joystick does not work

Unread post by tauceti »

Hi,

I am trying to get a Joystick in the ao486 running.
It is connected via Mister with USB and in the F12 menu it works and I can navigate. But that’s it. It does not work in any Dos game like Tie Fighter.
It is an old Logitech Attack3 joystick.

Also I am missing a good calibration tool. When defining joystick buttons it wants to define D-Pad and so on which is for gamepads but not for a joystick. This is somehow misleading.
The joystick also does not work in inputtester.
Can someone describe step by step what I have todo to get the joystick running in Dos?

Thanks!
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Joystick does not work

Unread post by aberu »

How are you running Tie Fighter? Through the top 300 pack?
birdybro~
tauceti

Unread post by tauceti »

Yes but also in other games like descent it could not detect a joystick
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

How the ao486 core currently works, you must move one of the joystick axis in any direction (or maybe button works) after booting before X and Y axis's will be able to be read by software.
tauceti

Unread post by tauceti »

Well that didn’t also work. Tried to move it and clicking buttons when restarting the core.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Analog joystick needs to be defined as an analog stick or axis, not as a d-pad. Just use spacebar to skip the d-pad stuff when defining buttons. Not sure of the state of analog joystick support on ao486 though.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Also, move the joystick and press the buttons in Dos before starting the game. I think you already did, but wanted to make sure ao486 was running, and not just the MiSTer menu.
CRTified

Unread post by CRTified »

If your joystick does not work in inputtester, then you may not have configured it correctly.

Do this once: After switching on your MiSTer (and before loading any gaming core), you need to go to System Settings menu (usually by press Menu Back button, or Escape on keyboard) and run the "Define joystick buttons" routine.

--

If you do not run that routine, your controller will probably still work *in menus only* - but probably *not* in games, or in inputtester.
tauceti

Unread post by tauceti »

Yes when using the system menu „define joystick buttons“ it asks for dpad. I can skip this but then it never asks e.g move joystick to upper left and lower right. So I cannot calibrate the axis. If I skip through all it asks are for dpad, buttons and mouse emulation. In that menu I don’t find any joystick axis calibration