Disable Bluetooth

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
neogeo81

Re: Disable Bluetooth

Unread post by neogeo81 »

ntt wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:03 am Hmmm good point...
Yes to both counts... I've recentlly installed an acrylic case, and because of that I've also mounted the analog I/O board - that I've never used in 2+ years.
The buttons would seem to be free, but it would make full sense it's due to that.
Will dismount everything and see if that solves. Will report back.
Thank you!
I had the same problem with the acrylic case. you can't tighten up to mucht the top part or the buttons will trigger.
ntt

Re: Disable Bluetooth [SOLVED]

Unread post by ntt »

It was indeed the I/O board!
At first I've removed just the case buttons (the 3D-printed cylinders), but the problem was still there.
Then I've removed the I/O board entirely, and so far so good - no more BT popups :D
I guess that when first installing the acrylic case I might have overtightened the top screws, and possibly damaged one or more of the SMD buttons on the I/O board.
Will check the PCB buttons with a tester later, possibly at least one of them is now permanently short-circuited..
I'm sorry I should have thought of this before posting, but I was only focussing on the software/OS part unfortunately.
Thank you for your help, it made the difference
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I needed to trim (clean up) the 3D printed button plungers a bit with both of the acrylic cases I bought. Had no problems with either of them.
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

I've checked the 3 PCB buttons with a tester, and they would appear to be working properly :o
Not that it matters, I can do without the I/O board as I did for years, I'm just curious to learn what's wrong with the I/O board.
Thanks for your support, everyone
georgemog

Unread post by georgemog »

I have just loosened the screws on my case and the problem has gone away. I have had the issue for months. Thank you for the solution.
GamingDoyle

Unread post by GamingDoyle »

thefritz wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:15 am
Malor wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:30 pm

Ok, I did a full rebuild of Mister on the original microSD that came with the DE-10, and saw no issues.

My hardware:

DE-10
128MB RAM
Digital I/O
external USB switcher instead of the official USB hub
Keyboard: oldschool Corsair K70, shows as three USB keyboards
Mouse: Logitech G502
Joystick: 8BitDo Pro 2 Wireless, but connected in wired mode. There's no Bluetooth involved.

My install process:

Erase SD card with diskpart
Download Mr. Fusion 2.5
Burn image to SD card with balenaEtcher.
Put card in Mister, power up.
Wait for initial install.
Run the "update" script.
Power down the Mister and copy in "update_all.sh" from Windows.
Put card back in, power up, and run update_all.

I then went through a bunch of arcade cores and never saw any Bluetooth messages. I could cause one to show by hitting F11, but that didn't seem to do anything and was easily gotten rid of. I rebooted multiple times and never saw unexpected behavior.

I wonder if you folks with problems have a device that's either spuriously sending F11, or maybe you've redefined a key to be F11?

Thanks for taking the time to try and replicate Malor!

I am stumped by this one. I built the SD card from scratch using the latest release. I didn't have any devices, I/O Board or bluetooth plugged in, not even a keyboard or joystick, and it popped up right at boot. I am leaning towards there may be something off with my DE-10 Nano. It's really odd.

Hey fritz, were you ever able to figure this out? I'm seeing the same behavior on one of my DE10s. It acts as though the OSD button is depressed all the time. Testing the buttons on the DE10 itself they seem to be behaving correctly, but reading the GPIO pin for OSD shows it as around 1V with nothing depressed versus 3.3V for the USER/RESET pins. So I'm guessing something has failed hardware-wise on the DE10 such that its virtually stuck on. I've also confirmed swapping in a working sdcard doesn't help so its not a linux corruption issue given swapped cards on a bare DE10 gets the issue it has to be hardware. Anyway, let me know if you were able to track it down when you get a sec.

GamingDoyle

So fritz didn’t respond but it’s possible they had the same issue as me. I confirmed, pin 13 on GPIO1 is damaged for me so I want to record this for posterity. I had some correspondence with Terasic who helped confirm it’s damaged by giving me the simple test of measuring voltage drop in diode mode across each of the 36 GPIO1 pins that aren’t power/ground. Here’s there exact message:

“Dear customer,

Thanks for your information.

To be honest, we met issues from customers who play Mister on DE10-Nano, not only about the GPIO issue, that's why I asked in previous email if you play mister.

So based on our experience, most probably the FPGA internal I/O connected to GPIO is damaged.

You can test the GPIO I/O pins, power off the board, set the switch of multimeter to the diode lable position, red probe connect to GND, black probe connect to 36 I/O pins one by one. Pay attention to the power pins, don't touch them, then tell us the result for analysing.”

The results of the diode test for the 36 pins was that every pin had a voltage drop of around 0.455-0.460 or so except for the problem pin (pin 13) which has a drop of 0.730V. This caused them to conclude:

“Dear customer,

So the pin 13 on JP7 (GPIO 1) is shorted, as I mentioned in my previous email, most probably the FPGA internal I/O connected to pin 13 of JP7 is damaged.

We have another customer these days who play mister on DE10-Nano too, he had GPIO issue too, pin 9 of JP1 is shorted.

Our advice, the whole FPGA chip needed to be replaced if you want to repair it, though the other devices on the board maybe work normally, but it's not worth to replace the FPGA, it's better to buy a new board rather than replace FPGA.”

So it’s not the end of the world, I figured I had several options:

1. Run a naked DE10 with digital IO enabled so GPIO1 isn’t hooked up to the user/osd buttons

2. Swap to a digital IO board but no dual ram since that pin is stuck

3. Keep analog IO but fork mister and disable reading the buttons so it doesn’t spam OSD

Since everything else works except pin 13 I went with option 3 and just disable the physical buttons (key combo still works for osd). Example:

Code:
https://github.com/danieldoyle/Main_MiS ... pga_io.cpp

Binary:

MiSTer.zip
(543.96 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Anyway just wanted to record this for anyone else who encounters a stuck OSD button and determines it’s the DE10, not a case or IO board or something and they can’t get out of BT Pairing and/or the menu you can still make use of it

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Wow, that's lousy. Sorry it broke. :( That would really bug me, even if I could work around it.

GamingDoyle

Nah, it’s not that bad, mister main doesn’t continuously update and I never use those OSD/User physical buttons. (Well except the one time for OSD which triggered the failure)