Disable Bluetooth

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
schlika

Disable Bluetooth

Unread post by schlika »

I do not have/need bluetooth on my setup, but I always get the BT Pairing/No Bluetooth available warning at boot.

I had a look but could not find a setting to disable it. Is it possible ? Thanks
thefritz

Re: Disable Bluetooth

Unread post by thefritz »

I also would like to know if this is possible. I the same pop-up every time I boot the MiSTer and each Core. It's really annoying when trying to use the Attract mode stuff.
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

Try this script: (unpack in /media/fat/Scripts)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
file=/bin/bluetoothd
[ $(stat -c "%a" $file) -eq 0 ] && {
  chmod 755 $file
  $file start
  echo "bluetooth: enabled"
} || {
  $file stop
  chmod 000 $file
  echo "bluetooth: disabled"
}
Attachments
bluetooth_toggle.zip
(318 Bytes) Downloaded 123 times
thefritz

Appreciate the Script @Akuma. It wasn't working for me so just for giggles I went in and did a chmod 000 on all the bluetooth files I could find. Unfortunately the issue persists.

MiSTer.jpg
MiSTer.jpg (29.03 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

That's not going to do anything more, /bin/bluetoothd is the script that controls everything. I could not find anything in the other scripts related to bluetooth. Maybe its something in the MiSTer.rbf (and I cannot fix that)

Could you post the message/screenshot of the error?
thefritz

I figured as much.. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Here is the message that pops up every time I power on the MiSTer and every time I load any core.

I don't have a BT adapter connected, and I get the same error when I do. I only use wired controllers.
BTPairing.jpeg
BTPairing.jpeg (482.13 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Do you have an IO board connected?
thefritz

Yes, currently I am using the MiSTer multisystem board but I was seeing the same issue with my original I/O v5.5 Board as well.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I don't get any error messages about Bluetooth at all, using a mostly stock install.

One thing you could try would be removing the file "/etc/init.d/S45bluetooth", which is a symbolic link to the script file /bin/bluetoothd. That way, it shouldn't get launched at boot. You can't easily remove that file from a Windows host, as it's in the loopback Linux filesystem. You'll either need to use F9 at the main menu, or ssh in to the machine, and then delete it.

When I was digging around, I spotted that for some reason, Mister has the same three bluetooth-related files in both /bin and /usr/bin. AFAIK the /usr/bin ones could be removed, as I think they're just superfluous. I can't test that, however.

Another file you could potentially remove is /media/fat/linux/bluetooth. That's a loopback filesystem. If I understand the script correctly, that's where pairings are stored. If it's not there, the startup script will recreate a blank one, and that might also fix the problem from a different angle. Maybe.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

It might be an fault with your DE10 Nano, if two different expansion boards are producing the same result. As this is not a normal or expected behaviour.

If the DE10 is reading a button press from the KEY0 button on the DE10 Nano board this message does appear. Try just booting the DE10 Nano on its own, do you get the same result?
thefritz

Malor wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:32 pm I don't get any error messages about Bluetooth at all, using a mostly stock install.

One thing you could try would be removing the file "/etc/init.d/S45bluetooth", which is a symbolic link to the script file /bin/bluetoothd. That way, it shouldn't get launched at boot. You can't easily remove that file from a Windows host, as it's in the loopback Linux filesystem. You'll either need to use F9 at the main menu, or ssh in to the machine, and then delete it.

When I was digging around, I spotted that for some reason, Mister has the same three bluetooth-related files in both /bin and /usr/bin. AFAIK the /usr/bin ones could be removed, as I think they're just superfluous. I can't test that, however.

Another file you could potentially remove is /media/fat/linux/bluetooth. That's a loopback filesystem. If I understand the script correctly, that's where pairings are stored. If it's not there, the startup script will recreate a blank one, and that might also fix the problem from a different angle. Maybe.
Appreciate you taking the time to respond. I had noticed the symlink myself and tried that earlier without any luck. I also just tried removing the /media/fat/bluetooth file but still no luck.
thefritz

Xbytez wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:40 pm It might be an fault with your DE10 Nano, if two different expansion boards are producing the same result. As this is not a normal or expected behaviour.

If the DE10 is reading a button press from the KEY0 button on the DE10 Nano board this message does appear. Try just booting the DE10 Nano on its own, do you get the same result?
I still get the popup with just the DE-10 Nano and no other boards connected to it outside the 128mb ram. Other than the bluetooth pairing popup warning everything works fantastic. I also created a new bare bones SD card and I get the same result.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Is there a specific key for the Mister to do Bluetooth stuff? I mean, I only just found out that F1 changes backdrops. Is there another F-key that relates to Bluetooth somehow?
thefritz

Malor wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 pm Is there a specific key for the Mister to do Bluetooth stuff? I mean, I only just found out that F1 changes backdrops. Is there another F-key that relates to Bluetooth somehow?
If there is I haven't seen any documentation for it.
thefritz

I just placed an order for another DE-10 Nano that I had already planned on getting for another project I have going on. It will be interesting to see if I have the same issue with the new one whenever it arrives.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

What happens if you actually connect a Bluetooth dongle? Does it remove the message? I have one always connected but never use it.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Whenever I get low-level hardware symptoms I overwrite the Linux folder with the latest build just in case it got corrupted.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... the-mister
birdybro~
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Have you tried booting up with nothing plugged in? The only time, as far as I know, that you should see that message/screen is if you hit F11.
thefritz

C-R-T wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:08 am What happens if you actually connect a Bluetooth dongle? Does it remove the message? I have one always connected but never use it.
I get the same exact pop-up.
thefritz

aberu wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:15 am Whenever I get low-level hardware symptoms I overwrite the Linux folder with the latest build just in case it got corrupted.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... the-mister
I just built an entirely new SD Card and get the same issue. I would imagine that would be as fresh as I can get it. I am starting to lean towards it being something to do with the DE-10 Nano itself as Xbytez suggested.
thefritz

Flandango wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:38 pm Have you tried booting up with nothing plugged in? The only time, as far as I know, that you should see that message/screen is if you hit F11.
I have, I tried it direct even without the 128mb memory module and no USB devices. Just power and HDMI. Still go the pop-up.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Was there a recent change to the Linux distro?

I think I have a spare microSD around here somewhere. I'll see if I can do a new Mr. Fusion build.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Ok, I did a full rebuild of Mister on the original microSD that came with the DE-10, and saw no issues.

My hardware:

DE-10
128MB RAM
Digital I/O
external USB switcher instead of the official USB hub
Keyboard: oldschool Corsair K70, shows as three USB keyboards
Mouse: Logitech G502
Joystick: 8BitDo Pro 2 Wireless, but connected in wired mode. There's no Bluetooth involved.

My install process:

Erase SD card with diskpart
Download Mr. Fusion 2.5
Burn image to SD card with balenaEtcher.
Put card in Mister, power up.
Wait for initial install.
Run the "update" script.
Power down the Mister and copy in "update_all.sh" from Windows.
Put card back in, power up, and run update_all.

I then went through a bunch of arcade cores and never saw any Bluetooth messages. I could cause one to show by hitting F11, but that didn't seem to do anything and was easily gotten rid of. I rebooted multiple times and never saw unexpected behavior.

I wonder if you folks with problems have a device that's either spuriously sending F11, or maybe you've redefined a key to be F11?
thefritz

Malor wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:30 pm Ok, I did a full rebuild of Mister on the original microSD that came with the DE-10, and saw no issues.

My hardware:

DE-10
128MB RAM
Digital I/O
external USB switcher instead of the official USB hub
Keyboard: oldschool Corsair K70, shows as three USB keyboards
Mouse: Logitech G502
Joystick: 8BitDo Pro 2 Wireless, but connected in wired mode. There's no Bluetooth involved.

My install process:

Erase SD card with diskpart
Download Mr. Fusion 2.5
Burn image to SD card with balenaEtcher.
Put card in Mister, power up.
Wait for initial install.
Run the "update" script.
Power down the Mister and copy in "update_all.sh" from Windows.
Put card back in, power up, and run update_all.

I then went through a bunch of arcade cores and never saw any Bluetooth messages. I could cause one to show by hitting F11, but that didn't seem to do anything and was easily gotten rid of. I rebooted multiple times and never saw unexpected behavior.

I wonder if you folks with problems have a device that's either spuriously sending F11, or maybe you've redefined a key to be F11?
Thanks for taking the time to try and replicate Malor!

I am stumped by this one. I built the SD card from scratch using the latest release. I didn't have any devices, I/O Board or bluetooth plugged in, not even a keyboard or joystick, and it popped up right at boot. I am leaning towards there may be something off with my DE-10 Nano. It's really odd.
thefritz

Just for fun, I went back and installed the 1.0 build from June 2020 and the pairing warning, although it looks different, still pops up. Figured it was worth a shot.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Maybe double-check all your switch positions, and wiggle them back and forth a few times just in case one is kind of stuck? Also, maybe press the buttons (with the machine turned off) several times each?

Unless they've changed the DE-10 somehow, a sticky switch or button seems like the only likely culprit left.

edit: also, you can run some of the old arcade cores, and the Genesis core, without the RAM plugged in, so running on an absolutely bare board would prove that the RAM doesn't have a bad solder trace or something.
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Hi all
I'm affected by the same problem as the original poster, the BT pairing screen keeps popping up randomly (and without reason, I would add)
I've been using my MiSTer for a couple years w/o ever seeing this problem, recently it popped up when I was testing some Saturn stuff (using the recent 20220813 single DRAM core, provided it matters)
It' like the Saturn core (or some program running in that core) triggered a BT pairing request, and since then the MiSTer keeps on trying to pair something on BT. Or as if the system thinks to have received an F11 keypress, go figure..
This freaking issue keeps popping up, even if I remove the BT dongle from the USB port it keeps on coming up; hell as previously noted by the OP the BT pairing screen pops up even if I boot the MiSTer w/o the BT dongle inserted... it definitely survives soft and hard reboots.
I've tried modifying a couple parameters in the MiSTer.ini file related to BT (device timeout and reset BT device before pairing), to no avail.
The main issue is that if the BT pairing screen pops up when you're running a core (and rest assured it will, dammit), input is lost to both the core AND the freaking BT pairing window, thus you're stuck there until you cut power to the MiSTer (not even the keyboard reset sequence is received by the system, all input goes to /dev/null apparently)
I'm available to completely nuke the BT driver in the system, yes this issue makes impossible using the system at all...
Thanks in advance for any help!
ntt

Re: Disable Bluetooth - I NEED HELP PLEASE!

Unread post by ntt »

Friends I'm afraid I need your support...
The BT issue has now escalated to a permanent "BT-bombing" matter, where every few dozen seconds a BT prompt hijacks whatever I'm doing on MiSTer, making my MiSTer life totally miserable.
You can see from the attached pictures that while I was browsing the dmesg logs, trying to find a clue, I've been interrupted every 30-40 seconds by a BT or a menu prompt (like pressing F11 or F12 on the keyboard)
I've tried everything: disconnecting one by one the wireless keyboard (Logitech K400), the 8bitdo SN30 Pro wired controller, even the WiFi dongle, but nothing changed, the freaking menu prompt popped up every 30s or thereabouts
For the record I've ripped out the BT dongle some days ago out of desperation, but again it doesn't make a difference - the prompt just complains about no BT found instead of entering the BT pairing screen
NOTE: I've created a fresh MiSTer SD card from scratch - downloading fresh components (mister Fusion and everything), so it can't be a damaged MiSTer installation, it must be either the OS or the HW, I really don't know..
What can i do to try and debug - if not fix - this issue? Is this worth filing a bug?
A huge thank you to anyone wanting to help!
Attachments
1A.jpg
1A.jpg (209.27 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
2A.jpg
2A.jpg (235.06 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
3A.jpg
3A.jpg (228.5 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
4A.jpg
4A.jpg (212.88 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Do you by an chance have an I/O board and use a case?
If so, check the buttons, mainly the OSD button, and make sure it's not stuck in the pressed position...that will also trigger the bluetooth pairing screen to come up (even in terminal mode).
As a last resort, if you do have IO board, try removing it and see if the problem persists.
ntt

Unread post by ntt »

Hmmm good point...
Yes to both counts... I've recentlly installed an acrylic case, and because of that I've also mounted the analog I/O board - that I've never used in 2+ years.
The buttons would seem to be free, but it would make full sense it's due to that.
Will dismount everything and see if that solves. Will report back.
Thank you!