Can't Load ROMs

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
mykarmayourdogma

Can't Load ROMs

Unread post by mykarmayourdogma »

So im a total newb at all this. I got the hardware setup fine but I cannot get Genesis or Nes core roms to load and play. The arcade cores do load fine and play. It attempts to load the cores and then just hangs. it doesn't lock up the MISTer I can try to load another rom. On the NES roms sometimes random characters or colors will appear on screen but no audio or game. I have tried several different roms from different places and none seem to work. Anyone have any help to offer?
DevilHunterWolf

Re: Can't Load ROMs

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

MiSTer is as picky with ROMs as original hardware. Software emulators ignore little file issues and continue to play but original hardware doesn't. If it wouldn't work in a flashcart on the real console, there's basically no chance of it working on MiSTer. I'm making an assumption arcade was taken care of by the update_all script which is why those work. It already gathered appropriate files. But for anything else you're getting yourself, they need to be accurate ROM files. You need flashcart compatible files.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The Nes needs a memory expansion. The Mega drive its optional
mykarmayourdogma

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:31 pm MiSTer is as picky with ROMs as original hardware. Software emulators ignore little file issues and continue to play but original hardware doesn't. If it wouldn't work in a flashcart on the real console, there's basically no chance of it working on MiSTer. I'm making an assumption arcade was taken care of by the update_all script which is why those work. It already gathered appropriate files. But for anything else you're getting yourself, they need to be accurate ROM files. You need flashcart compatible files.
Yeah I have tried everything i could find and still no luck. I have the 128mb RAM installed and tested. I have tried stripping and editing headers and roms and cannot get anything to load. I have downloaded all the everdrive and other clean roms and still nothing will load. I am having issues loading some of the arcade cores as well Donkey Kong and a few older games work fine but the newer stuff crashes as well. i'm hoping I didn't make a 400 dollar mistake here but its looking like it. All the youtube videos and articles make it look so easy and I cant get a single game to run. I know the good roms are out there I guess im just too late to the party now. My only hope is to find a SD card image or copy someone else that does work. I wanted to be part of the MISTer group but im afraid i just dont have the time and knowledge to figure this out myself.
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

1. Delete your /media/fat/games/NES directory .
  2. Run update_all.sh .
  3. Take heed of "NES2.0" headers mentioned on the wiki; there might just be a place on the internet, an archive if you will, from which you might find what you seek .
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

If you can run a python script, use this --> https://github.com/Kitrinx/NES_Header_Repair

You'll need the latest NewRisingSun database file from here --> https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19940
birdybro~
mykarmayourdogma

AngelicLiver wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:36 pm
  1. Delete your /media/fat/games/NES directory .
  2. Run update_all.sh .
  3. Take heed of "NES2.0" headers mentioned on the wiki; there might just be a place on the internet, an archive if you will, from which you might find what you seek .
Tried this and still getting the gray screen on NES core when trying to load NES2.0 ROMS. I even verified it had the right header. Genesis and SNES cores do not work either. Maybe a complete re install at this point is what I need to do. I am using Windows to copy and move files I wonder if that is corrupting the files. I can load oregon trail in Apple II core so the mister can build a fpga im just having trouble with the uh more popular cores.
mykarmayourdogma

aberu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:02 am If you can run a python script, use this --> https://github.com/Kitrinx/NES_Header_Repair

You'll need the latest NewRisingSun database file from here --> https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19940
Been trying to do this for 2 days but im not a coder and could not get it to run. I found some NES 2.0 roms but still getting gray screen when trying to load a rom.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Do you have an sdram module? That core requires sdram.

Also run the downloader.sh script with your MiSTer on the internet. If you ran update.sh, that one's sorta deprecated now.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... /software/

Try and retrace your steps with this guide.
birdybro~
mykarmayourdogma

aberu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:42 am Do you have an sdram module? That core requires sdram.

Also run the downloader.sh script with your MiSTer on the internet. If you ran update.sh, that one's sorta deprecated now.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... /software/

Try and retrace your steps with this guide.
Thanks for the help. I just went ahead and wiped it and started over.

I did use the old update script upon initial setup along with unplugging it during the Mr Fusion unpack because I wasn't getting video. I was just patient this time and let it do its thing without video and think I have a more stable install now. I put the update_all script in the Mr Fusion package so I could run that immediately.

Will report back.
mykarmayourdogma

So after a full reset I still can't play most roms. Gray screen on NES and nothing in SNES or Genesis cores. Only a few random arcade cores load and play. Wondering if my SDRAM is bad or if windows is corrupting my roms when i transfer or decompress them. Im just hitting my head against the wall here.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

mykarmayourdogma wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:36 am So after a full reset I still can't play most roms. Gray screen on NES and nothing in SNES or Genesis cores. Only a few random arcade cores load and play. Wondering if my SDRAM is bad or if windows is corrupting my roms when i transfer or decompress them. Im just hitting my head against the wall here.
Sounds to me like a faulty RAM module. Can remove the RAM module and try to load a Genesis Rom. The Genesis core falls back to the DDR3-RAM if no module is installed. If it works without a RAM module then your module is faulty.
Peter-FPGA

Unread post by Peter-FPGA »

you can run the memory test to check it surely :- "The official memtest will show up under the Utilities section in the on-screen menu (OSD)."
Peter.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Peter-FPGA wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:30 am you can run the memory test to check it surely :- "The official memtest will show up under the Utilities section in the on-screen menu (OSD)."
The memory test is not reliable in all cases unfortunately. I had a faulty 128MB module that showed no errors in the Memtest but always crashed in the NeoGeo core.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

mykarmayourdogma wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:36 am So after a full reset I still can't play most roms. Gray screen on NES and nothing in SNES or Genesis cores. Only a few random arcade cores load and play. Wondering if my SDRAM is bad or if windows is corrupting my roms when i transfer or decompress them. Im just hitting my head against the wall here.
If you are transferring them via FTP, make sure you are transferring them in Binary mode not ASCII.
birdybro~
mykarmayourdogma

aberu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 pm
If you are transferring them via FTP, make sure you are transferring them in Binary mode not ASCII.
Filezilla was set to auto so i don't know if they went binary or not. Main issue is a faulty SDRAM unit. The memory test was just counting red numbers on the bottom. Appears Ultimatemister sent me a bad SDRAM unit.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Was it fitted correctly ? The this side faces out has to face outwards.

Also dont use the Auto. Switch Filezilla to binary.
mykarmayourdogma

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:03 pm Was it fitted correctly ? The this side faces out has to face outwards.

Also dont use the Auto. Switch Filezilla to binary.
Yeah i made sure it fit correctly multiple times. Looks like it was just a crappy SDRAM build. There are tombstoned logic elements that should be surface mounted. Im guessing the pins arent making good contact either. Will run in binary from now on thanks.
seaward

Unread post by seaward »

Did you ever get this resolved? Exact same issue here. Running memcheck now. Not sure how to interpret it though. See attached.

Edit: So, I swear I had plugged the SDRAM chip onto the board .. but on second look. I found it still sealed nicely in it's bag. *doh* So, memcheck is looking much better now .. and it is loading roms! Woot!
Attachments
PXL_20220630_042014690.jpg
PXL_20220630_042014690.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2533 times