ALG (American Laser Games)

kathleen
Top Contributor

ALG (American Laser Games)

Unread post by kathleen »

Hello everyone,

I've just discovered thanks to a French Amiga forum (AmigaFrance.com) that Winuae, the well known Amiga emulator has the capability of running American Laser Games. The arcade cabinet was using an Amiga 500 to control the games/videos :D ...
I'm wondering if this feature could this be implemented to the Mister ?
There is a small list of games which can be played with the LightGun (LightGun in Winuae which is replaced by the mouse), like the well known Mad Dog McCree.

Mad Dog McCree (1990).
Who Shot Johnny Rock? (1991).
Space Pirates (1992).
Gallagher’s Gallery (1992).
Crime Patrol (1993).
Crime Patrol 2: Drug Wars (1993)
The Last Bounty Hunter (1994)
Fast Draw Showdown (1994)

Anyway, the Amiga will never cease to amaze me.

かすりん

shertz

Re: ALG (American Laser Games)

Unread post by shertz »

The amiga controlled an external device for the audio and video which was a laserdisc player.

Maybe the mister can control something like a raspberry pi to handle the AV.

There's a device that does that right now for laserdisc arcade games called dexter
kathleen
Top Contributor

Thanks for your answer @shertz,
Actually I was more thinking to use like for the ISO's, the disk image of the games (which are findable on the web) instead of using a third party device like the RPI

かすりん

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

There cannot be an Iso of the Laser Disc. Laser Discs are analog. Mame uses the Doomsday Duplicator https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978 to copy the raw RF. This is then passed to an emulated laser disk under the control of the emulated Arcade game.

So Mister would have to emulate a Laser Disc player, the Controller of the player and get a raw RF dump of the original laser disk.

Any Iso floating around would be a digitised version of the game and so not be true to the original laser disc
kathleen
Top Contributor

@FPGA64,
Thanks for this clarification.
However some LD were converted to DVD video format especially for Daphne and/or Winuae. When I said ISO I'm sorry to haven't more detailed my thought, I was meaning those kinds of DVD videos which are existing for the above listed games. (for instance : Mad Dog McCree / https://www.emuline.org/topic/1307-arca ... laserdisc/ )
But again, I was thinking aloud, maybe this is a nonsense and out of interest.

かすりん

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Wasn't it that versions of Daphne (the Dragons Lair + others emulator) and at least early Projects used just CHD files for Laser Disk emulation?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

With Lightguns now being supported in some cores, it sure could be awesome if this could happen. I think I had a way of playing Maddog McGree on a Raspberry Pi RetroPie setup, but I am not sure what emulator it used.

I was testing EmuVR last weekend and its lightgun support and it worked great, but it only had the SegaCD version of Maddog McGree I think and it was... pretty low quality video. The audio was working quite well though.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:04 am Wasn't it that versions of Daphne (the Dragons Lair + others emulator) and at least early Projects used just CHD files for Laser Disk emulation?
The most accurate way is the rip of the laser as raw RF using the Doomsday Duplicator and then full emulation of the laser disk player and controller. The DVD rips are close but they are not the same and are dependent on how the digitisation occured. Mame has just started laseer disc games, the first one was in the last release.

The first one in Mame is about 10 gig in size but it is an exact copy of the laser disc and not reliant on whoever digitised to produce the DVD rips.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Hard to see real laserdisc emulation happening when we can't even get CD support. :P
kathleen
Top Contributor

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:07 pm Hard to see real laserdisc emulation happening when we can't even get CD support. :P
Hahaha yes, good point ! At least for the other tracks than the 1st one :-)

かすりん