USB Controller Needs to be Unpluged and Repluged on Startup

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
barth0lin0

USB Controller Needs to be Unpluged and Repluged on Startup

Unread post by barth0lin0 »

Hey. USB controller issue :

My usb controller (MC Chtulhu boards) doesn’t get recognized on mister startup/reboot. I always need to unplug and replug the controller to get the green light on the usb hub.

Green light flashes one time on startup and then disappear. All my other usb devices are ok on startup. It doesnt seem to be a power issue since it does the same even if i unplug my wifi dongle, my BT dongle and all other usb peripherals

Any idea what to do? Didn’t have this issue before.

Any way to clear the mister usb device memory to start from scratch with this usb device ?

Thx !
grizzly

Re: USB Controller Needs to be Unpluged and Repluged on Startup

Unread post by grizzly »

Seen a couple of similar issues been solved by using a better/stronger PSU.
So what psu do you use? The 2A one that came with the DE-10?
And what do you mean with "all other usb stuff"? one more thing or 25?

What usbhub do you have?
The "official mister" from a reputable seller? An "official mister" hub from aliexpress/ebay?
Or something else?
And yes sadly there are often a big difference between mister hubs from reputable sellers and ali/ebay sellers, one example is that it could be an usb 1.1 hub instead of 2.0hub.
barth0lin0

Unread post by barth0lin0 »

So what psu do you use? The 2A one that came with the DE-10?

***Yes, but also tried using a dedicated psu to power only the hub with no luck

And what do you mean with "all other usb stuff"? one more thing or 25? :

*** bluetooth usb, wifi usb, usb thumb drive, keyboard, mouse, 8bitdo sub dongles, everything works exepted my MC Cthulhu boards, (tried 3 different ones....same issue)

What usbhub do you have?
The "official mister" from a reputable seller? An "official mister" hub from aliexpress/ebay?

official seller with official hub Or something else?

****also tried chaining another hub (amazon 4 in 1) into the mister hub : same issue.

i think i'll go with a usb cable extension with and on/off swith....this should solve my issue.

any thoughts ?
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

For all you have connected the 2A psu that came with the DE-10 is at or over it´s limit for sure.
Seen many that have had less stuff connected and fixed issues with a better psu or use one separate psu to the hub.

If the psu you used for the hub is 500mA (which is a very common psu) then it could be that is still to little, or it´s simply a bad psu that can´t deliver what it says (which sadly is way to common).

A warning about a usb switch!
Most of the switches on hubs (and cables is probably worse) is that they often only switch the power line.
And that is from what i gathered not good and can cause all sorts of problems in both hardware and software.
The proper way (and really expensive if you search around) is to first disconnect of the data lines then power then ground.
And the other way around when switching on, data lines should connect last.

And if you take any normal USB cable with a A male connector at one end and look at it.
You will see that the two center "pins" (the data lines) is a bit shorter then the outer pins (power/ground) for this exact reason.

Exactly how bad and what problems it can cause i´m not sure about since i stopped looking at a usb switch solution after searching for a hub or cable that would do it the correct way, but i did not feel like it was worth it´s weight in gold.
But if there are problems i´m sure the DE-10 will find most of them ;)
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

I have two mc chtulhu-based fight sticks, and the same thing happens, and have had similar experiences with other devices I try to use the chtulhu with. I personally think it's something with the board.