PSX Controller Advice

Alkadian
Top Contributor

PSX Controller Advice

Unread post by Alkadian »

Hi,
Could someone please advise on a good PSX controller?
I was looking at the DualShock 4 which I would used it wired.
Thanks a lot!
daveo

Re: PSX Controller Advice

Unread post by daveo »

DS4 works great. Actually prefer playing most cores with it.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

daveo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:54 pm DS4 works great. Actually prefer playing most cores with it.
Perfect, thanks for your feedback!
daveo

Unread post by daveo »

No worries. For what it’s worth I play it over Bluetooth on a CRT and can’t detect any obvious lag compared to my original snes/neogeo/md hardware
Alkadian
Top Contributor

daveo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:33 pm No worries. For what it’s worth I play it over Bluetooth on a CRT and can’t detect any obvious lag compared to my original snes/neogeo/md hardware
Thanks again. May I ask you which Bluetooth adapter you have got? Thanks!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I've been mostly using a DS4 as well, both wired and wireless. Works great for most cores (doesn't have number keys obviously) and has a nicely low latency. The touch pad can be used as a mouse and with the PSX core it can be pressed to toggle analog mode. Also multiple players are indicated by their own LED color IIRC.
Dual shock effects work nicely with it as well.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:46 pm I've been mostly using a DS4 as well, both wired and wireless. Works great for most cores (doesn't have number keys obviously) and has a nicely low latency. The touch pad can be used as a mouse and with the PSX core it can be pressed to toggle analog mode. Also multiple players are indicated by their own LED color IIRC.
Thanks for sharing your experience as well. I have just placed the order for it :mrgreen:

Just out of curiosity could you please confirm which bluetooth adapter you have got?

Thanks!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Yesterday I have picked up my brand new DS 4. It worked like a charm!! :mrgreen:

Thanks!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:08 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:46 pm I've been mostly using a DS4 as well, both wired and wireless. Works great for most cores (doesn't have number keys obviously) and has a nicely low latency. The touch pad can be used as a mouse and with the PSX core it can be pressed to toggle analog mode. Also multiple players are indicated by their own LED color IIRC.
Thanks for sharing your experience as well. I have just placed the order for it :mrgreen:

Just out of curiosity could you please confirm which bluetooth adapter you have got?

Thanks!
Mine's a Sitecom CN-524v2 001, I don't remember which chipset it uses.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:24 am
Alkadian wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:08 pm

Thanks!
Mine's a Sitecom CN-524v2 001, I don't remember which chipset it uses.
Thanks for confirming!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@LamerDeluxe,
Just another question, if you don't mind.
When I press the touch pad to switch from analog to dogital, I can see the notification on top left of the screen. However, it doesn't seem to be working. In fact I have to reconfigure the DS4 controller again to be able to use the analog stick. I have tested it with Driver. When you get a chance could you please let me know if this is the way it is supposed to work?
Thanks!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

How many games have dog steering/controls on the PSX? :mrgreen:
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:54 pm @LamerDeluxe,
When I press the touch pad to switch from analog to dogital, I can see the notification on top left of the screen. However, it doesn't seem to be working. In fact I have to reconfigure the DS4 controller again to be able to use the analog stick. I have tested it with Driver. When you get a chance could you please let me know if this is the way it is supposed to work?
Thanks!
That doesn't sound right. You're supposed to be able to freely switch between analog and digital mode. Is your controller set to dual shock in the core menu? Are you using the latest unstable version of mister.rbf?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:25 pm
Thanks!
That doesn't sound right. You're supposed to be able to freely switch between analog and digital mode. Is your controller set to dual shock in the core menu? Are you using the latest unstable version of mister.rbf?
Uhm, i thought that wouldbbe the case. Yes my controller is set to dual shock in the core menu and I am using the latest unstable .rbf. Can you think of something else please?

Thanks!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:31 pm
Thanks!
Uhm, i thought that wouldbbe the case. Yes my controller is set to dual shock in the core menu and I am using the latest unstable .rbf. Can you think of something else please?

Thanks!
That is odd. I suppose you assigned the controller buttons/sticks etc. correctly in MiSTer's main menu. Maybe someone in the Discord might have an idea what could be wrong.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:35 pm
Alkadian wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:31 pm

Thanks!
That is odd. I suppose you assigned the controller buttons/sticks etc. correctly in MiSTer's main menu. Maybe someone in the Discord might have an idea what could be wrong.
It is odd indeed. Yes I set it up in the main Mister menu. I will try one more time from scratch. Many thanks for your help!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Great news! Success!It is now working as expected!

I have started everything from scratch including the procedure for the bluetooth pairing. Thanks again!
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Does anyone use the PS Classic USB version of the original? I never had a PS1 back in the day, but I heard the analog controller (first w. thumbsticks) and soon after the Dual Shock both didn't even arrive until about 1999?? If true, that detail surprises me!

So do PSX veterans consider the dual shock the 'better' controller yet in the same breath feel the OG is more 'authentic' or 'nostalgic'?

I do look forward to really delving into the library soon.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Great to hear that @Alkadian! Enjoy!
seastalker wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:13 pm Does anyone use the PS Classic USB version of the original? I never had a PS1 back in the day, but I heard the analog controller (first w. thumbsticks) and soon after the Dual Shock both didn't even arrive until about 1999?? If true, that detail surprises me!

So do PSX veterans consider the dual shock the 'better' controller yet in the same breath feel the OG is more 'authentic' or 'nostalgic'?

I do look forward to really delving into the library soon.
I've used the PS Classic controllers on the MiSTer and they work fine, apparently they are also very low latency. And they are really light. Of course they do lack the analog sticks and rumble effects.

I personally appreciate the dual shock effects, when well done. Also using the original dual shock controller again, I much prefer its analog sticks over those of the DS4 and DS5. They are larger, more precise and much more comfortable.
seastalker

I think I hear the GENERAL consensus is that people prefer the dual shock but an interesting time capsule look would be the years before it existed- I imagine it is like people who played Sonic 1 but later in life had to get used to playing without the spin-dash of the sequels.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

That would be interesting to hear. I got my original model Playstation 1 pretty late, when the dual shock controller was already included.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

When I bought my PSX the digital controllers where the only pads available. I was fine with that, the only console with a packed-in analog controller was the N64 and from my point of view it looked like a nice gimmick but nothing life changing.
When MGS was released, I bought a Dualshock controller and quickly learned to love analog controls, the Dualshock controller was superior in every regard and I instantly fell in love with it (even if most of the PSX games didn't make use of both sticks in a meaningful way, some FPS did but most of the time it was only the left stick that was needed).
What I liked about the Dualshock controller was its weight it felt so much more robust then the standard controller.
fierman

Unread post by fierman »

I got myself a DS5 last week after I saw it recommended in another thread on this forum, and it works splendid here out of the box (using it wired, not over bt). Perhaps the d-pad takes some time to get used to, otherwise it is one of the better controllers for sure.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

fierman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:42 am Perhaps the d-pad takes some time to get used to
Yes you have too build up some nice thick skin :cry: .

I preferred PS layout over xbox at the time (the opposite now) the only problem i had was that the left thumb got raw many times due to the D-pad.

And Digital psx pad vs analog, i do think the dualshock felt a bit nicer because of the weight and maybe the balance.
But for digital only games that was played for a loooooooong time the lighter digital only pad was better (if the thumb did not bleed ;) )
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I'm looking to be as authentic as possible. That being said...

- Is there a USB adapter for the SCPH-1200 where the analog, rumble and analog/digital switching functionality works as expected from the controller?
- If not, will SNAC provide this?
- If neither of the above are true, does the DS3 (as close as you can get to authentic with USB, I think) support analog, rumble and analog/digital switching from the controller?
ChopstickSamurai

Unread post by ChopstickSamurai »

fierman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:42 am I got myself a DS5 last week after I saw it recommended in another thread on this forum, and it works splendid here out of the box (using it wired, not over bt). Perhaps the d-pad takes some time to get used to, otherwise it is one of the better controllers for sure.
I did the same thing as I had a Best Buy reward certificate I needed to use and they had some good deals on open box controllers. I have it paired via BT no problems with rumble working as it should.

I've tried using my original Dualshock controllers with a generic PS1 to USB adapter I got from Amazon but haven't gotten the rumble to work although the controllers work great. Same with my 8bitdo SF30 Pro, I tried pairing it a couple different ways but couldn't get the rumble to work. Anyone have better luck with this controller?

I'm absolutely loving this core so far. :D
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

rhester72 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:57 pm does the DS3 (as close as you can get to authentic with USB, I think) support analog, rumble and analog/digital switching from the controller?
Just a note if you are considering DS3, here are the MiSTer latency measurements for the Sony controllers (wired via USB):

DS3: 9.2 ms
DS4: 3.5 ms
DS5: 1.8 ms
seastalker

It is admittedly strange to me getting used to people using the terms 'DS2' 3 4 & 5 instead of 'PS2' etc. and took me a bit to realize the Dual Shock intended moniker. I thought all PS controllers after the very first model were a given that they were Dual Shock, but I wasn't raised on the PS consoles so I'm no authority on the matter. :) Of course I don't mean fighting/arcade controllers' layout exceptions.

The upcoming Retro Fighters Defender Wireless PS Controller (kickstarter) looks promising to use on the MiSTer and on original PS1/PS2 hardware (wait...PS3 as well). I have a BliSTer so I guess it's time for me to start testing my preferences between my PS classic usb controllers, OG PS1 (no sticks) and my PS2 Dual Shock.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@seastalker The OG PS1 controller wasn't DualShock and in fact had no analog at all. It was followed a few years later by a flight controller (yep!), then an analog controller (imagine the DualShock without motors), and finally the DualShock, which more or less became the gold standard design ever since.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

seastalker wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:54 am It is admittedly strange to me getting used to people using the terms 'DS2' 3 4 & 5 instead of 'PS2' etc. and took me a bit to realize the Dual Shock intended moniker. I thought all PS controllers after the very first model were a given that they were Dual Shock, but I wasn't raised on the PS consoles so I'm no authority on the matter. :) Of course I don't mean fighting/arcade controllers' layout exceptions.

The upcoming Retro Fighters Defender Wireless PS Controller (kickstarter) looks promising to use on the MiSTer and on original PS1/PS2 hardware (wait...PS3 as well). I have a BliSTer so I guess it's time for me to start testing my preferences between my PS classic usb controllers, OG PS1 (no sticks) and my PS2 Dual Shock.
Not every PS controller after the PSX was a DualShock controller. The original PS3 controller called SIXAXIS wasn't a DualShock controller, because it lacked the vibration effects. Sony introduced a DualShock SIXAXIS controller a year after the launch of the PS3 and introduced rumble to the system.