Update all: Mame Getter Problem

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
jca
Top Contributor

Update all: Mame Getter Problem

Unread post by jca »

I wanted to test the new Alpha Mission arcade:
I installed the rbf and the 3 mras.
I ran the update all script.
Mame Getter found the 3 new mras but downloaded only the ASO rom, I had to manually download the 2 other roms.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: Update all: Mame Getter Problem

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Not an issue the rom is merged. Aso contains the roms for the other 2 games
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Not on my side: ASO was OK but when I tried the 2 others it told me that alphamis.zip and arian.zip were not found. Mame Getter got the aso.zip.
This is what ASO.mra says:
<rom index='0' md5="None" type='nonmerged' zip='aso.zip'>
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Seek MAME 0.193 (split) romsets.

You'll want the alphamis and arian sets, before the mras get updated to the merged set which can be downloaded "automagically" ;)
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

To confirm: what I said in the 1st post is correct?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

jca wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:14 pm To confirm: what I said in the 1st post is correct?

no. The script is set to seek from the 0240 dump currently.

Just wait for a day, and the merged romset which can be downloaded automagically, will be available ;)
(in fact the already downloaded "aso.zip" is the one you want. Just the mras need to be edited to point to that)
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@lamara
I understood that the mras have to be modified and I saw they were "strange" when I experienced the "problem". What I am trying to understand is what happened with the update script.
Until fairly recently I was using the old update script and did not use the new downloader because when it came out I did not like what it did. Now that I am using the new downloader I watch carefully what it does. With this core it appeared to me that it failed to download 2 zip. After reading your post I may be understanding what is the problem: you mentioned that the script looks for 0240 so the aso.zip must come from that version, as for the 2 zips I manually downloaded they came from FinalBurn Neo - Arcade ROM Set (Full Non-Merged) which does not mention the Mame version. Does that mean that alphamis.zip and arian.zip are not present in 0240 and is the reason they were not downloaded?
Basically I have 3 mras containing:
<rom index='0' md5="None" type='nonmerged' zip='alphamis.zip'>
<rom index='0' md5="None" type='nonmerged|merged' zip='arian.zip'><rom index='0' md5="None"
<rom index='0' md5="None" type='nonmerged' zip='aso.zip'>
The update script should have downloaded these 3 zips but it did not, it just downloaded aso.zip. I just want to know why.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Both the old update script and the new Downloader script would never have downloaded roms. They are official scripts and so dont engage in such things.
Update all calls the Downloader along with other scripts one of these is the mame getter script which grabs the arcade roms.

So the use of Downloader or update would have 0 impact on how this script works.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I did not mean that using the new or old downloader was the problem: if you read the title of the thread it says all "Update all: Mame Getter Problem".
I only want to know one thing:
Why did I get only 1 rom and not 3?
Can anyone have an answer to that question?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The current Mame getter gets the merged 240 mame Set ASO which has all 3 roms merged into it. The MRA files of the unreleased core are not finalised and so need different rom sets. When the MRA is updated it will just work with the merged set. There is no error in the mame script

https://github.com/atrac17/MiSTer_MAME_ ... -getter.sh

line 1100
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks very much to FPGA64 for then answer and Lamarax for the 0240 hint.
One thing I don't like is when things do not work as I expect and cannot find the answer. I already had "fixed" the problem by downloading the 2 "missing" roms or I could have waited for the mras to be updated and have the problem automagically disappear but these 2 solutions did not satisfy me.
Thanks again and finally after 2 days going insane I will have a good night sleep today :lol: