SNK Ikari Warriors Arcade Core

Xbytez
Site Admin

SNK Ikari Warriors Arcade Core

Unread post by Xbytez »

It looks like RndMnkIII will be developing Ikari Warriors for MiSTer next!

https://twitter.com/RndMnkIII/status/15 ... 0158035968

Ikari_flyer.png
Ikari_flyer.png (43.54 KiB) Viewed 6321 times
fierman

Re: SNK Ikari Warriors Arcade Core

Unread post by fierman »

I have the original rotary sticks for this one. The wiring is incredibly complex, but would be so nice to be able to use them :)
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

fierman wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:35 pm I have the original rotary sticks for this one. The wiring is incredibly complex, but would be so nice to be able to use them :)
Me too and I'm excited for possible SNAC support for them. They are actually normal 8 way joysticks and a ribbon cable that feeds the 12 position rotary mech. It would be relatively simple to add support for it, but I'm not sure how to wire them up. I was thinking a DB15 connector cable.
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Nice, this SNK board also plays Athena.
mhartman

Unread post by mhartman »

I’ve used an original stick with mame. There is a way to wire the rotary part up with a bunch of diodes and an ultimarc encoder, which I forget exactly how to do. Very cool - love this game.
fierman

Unread post by fierman »

mhartman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:49 am I’ve used an original stick with mame. There is a way to wire the rotary part up with a bunch of diodes and an ultimarc encoder, which I forget exactly how to do. Very cool - love this game.
Was it something like this?
https://github.com/GadgetReboot/Arduino ... ystickMame

I don't own an ultimarc/ipac, but I assume i could leave that out alltogether.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

Unread post by RndMnkIII »

I know how the LS-30 rotary joystick works but the question is to build a proper hardware interface without adding a lot of lag with a software debouncer like what I've seen done with Arduino. It would be necessary to add resistors, capacitors and Schmitt Trigger inverters to the design for lag-free noise filtering. Or assume a lag of 10-15ms and hope that due to the characteristics of this type of input, the lag is not so critical.
eLLuiGi

Unread post by eLLuiGi »

I also have an snk rotary and it would be so cool to play with it ! I'll test it with my mister2jamma.
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

I noticed that T.N.K. III has a snac option. Does anyone know how to wire up rotary controls for it?
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

SNAC is not functional yet, I'm working on it.
XtraSmiley

RndMnkIII wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:52 am I know how the LS-30 rotary joystick works but the question is to build a proper hardware interface without adding a lot of lag with a software debouncer like what I've seen done with Arduino. It would be necessary to add resistors, capacitors and Schmitt Trigger inverters to the design for lag-free noise filtering. Or assume a lag of 10-15ms and hope that due to the characteristics of this type of input, the lag is not so critical.
OK, well, please let me know if I can help in any way on this, I'll be happy and willing to help!

Thanks for all your work!
Esoteric_rt

Unread post by Esoteric_rt »

What about using the Ultimarc rotary upgrades for Sanwa sticks? They just simulate keypresses that move the rotary left/right
XtraSmiley

Esoteric_rt wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:38 am What about using the Ultimarc rotary upgrades for Sanwa sticks? They just simulate keypresses that move the rotary left/right
That may be an option for many, but I want to use the actual LS-30s (or HAPP versions) so the 13 pins are necessary.
XtraSmiley

RndMnkIII wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:52 am I know how the LS-30 rotary joystick works but the question is to build a proper hardware interface without adding a lot of lag with a software debouncer like what I've seen done with Arduino. It would be necessary to add resistors, capacitors and Schmitt Trigger inverters to the design for lag-free noise filtering. Or assume a lag of 10-15ms and hope that due to the characteristics of this type of input, the lag is not so critical.
I just wrote you on Twitter, but this might be easier.

What if the two DB15 SNAC interfaces from Antonio Villena were used as player 1 and player 2 rotary functions. Then the joystick and buttons were via a USB into the MiSTer?

The reason I ask is because the controller I built uses a Brook Zero Pi PCB for the joystick and buttons, and the rotary is wired to a DB15. This set-up allows me to use the joystick on a real PCB and SuperGun because the rotary plugs into the PCB directly and the USB joystick/buttons go into an UNDAMNED USB to DB15 converter that plugs into the SuperGun.

This same joystick could be used with Antonio Villena's DB15 SNAC interface for the rotation.

But your core would have to accept joystick and buttons from MiSTer USB and rotation inputs from DB15.

If this is something that you can do, please let me know!
Beaps

Unread post by Beaps »

I used a standard encoder for movements and button but I cannot get the ultimarc rotary encoder to work.

IMG-20220721-084140.jpg
IMG-20220721-084140.jpg (318.04 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

My idea is to use one DB15 connector for both normal inputs and rotary data, as some games are two player, I want limit the number of DB15 ports to 2. I don't known nothing about using ultimarc interfaces.
eLLuiGi

Unread post by eLLuiGi »

Excellent idea ;-)
Beaps

Unread post by Beaps »

RndMnkIII wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:47 pm My idea is to use one DB15 connector for both normal inputs and rotary data, as some games are two player, I want limit the number of DB15 ports to 2. I don't known nothing about using ultimarc interfaces.
So no encoder, just wire the original stick loom to a DN15 connector?
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

12-> 4
or
12-> 2
encode
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

I've testing if it's needed hardware debounce or not using the original arcade circuit using Schmitt Trigger Inverters
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

software debounce can incur in several milliseconds of delay
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Sorry for pissing on your party guys, but can you inform me where one can source an OG LS-30!?

There's this recent HORI concept incorporating a rotary stick, but a surviving LS-30 one can get hold of is akin to buying the Mona Lisa ;)
Beaps

Unread post by Beaps »

Rotary-Encoder-LS-30-Harness.jpg
Rotary-Encoder-LS-30-Harness.jpg (86.13 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
XtraSmiley

RndMnkIII wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:47 pm My idea is to use one DB15 connector for both normal inputs and rotary data, as some games are two player, I want limit the number of DB15 ports to 2. I don't known nothing about using ultimarc interfaces.
Everything you do is great, bc you’re doing it!

But, if possible, can you set it up in MiSTer to take a 1-1 input for the rotary on a DB15 as an option?
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 pm Sorry for pissing on your party guys, but can you inform me where one can source an OG LS-30!?

There's this recent HORI concept incorporating a rotary stick, but a surviving LS-30 one can get hold of is akin to buying the Mona Lisa ;)
I don't know where you would find an original easily but I have Ultimarc rotary encoders on the sticks in my cabinet. They are non clicking with an optical encoder and usb interface.

You can go mechanical

https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-control ... ik-j-stik/

or optical

https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-control ... k-upgrade/
XtraSmiley

lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 pm Sorry for pissing on your party guys, but can you inform me where one can source an OG LS-30!?

If you want an original, I’ve got 6 that I’m working to put in a metal case and creat a joystick that works for both real PCBs and the MiSTer, that’s why I'm so interested in how the stick controls are implemented.

Once I get the first stick done I’ll make the rest and plan on selling them. It won’t be cheap though, just the parts are $500.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

Any plans to support usb spinner/paddle via MiSTer's hps_io paddle_x / spinner_x ?
drmister

Unread post by drmister »

XtraSmiley wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:04 pm

If you want an original, I’ve got 6 that I’m working to put in a metal case and creat a joystick that works for both real PCBs and the MiSTer, that’s why I'm so interested in how the stick controls are implemented.

Once I get the first stick done I’ll make the rest and plan on selling them. It won’t be cheap though, just the parts are $500.
If you have any extra, I'd be interested in buying one. Feel free to message me whenever. Thanks!
XtraSmiley

I've had a few people ask me about these. So bottom line, I'm in no rush to make these, as parts are super hard to get right now. I'll be doing the prototype soon and I'll get some pics, but the final versions will be specifically ordered metal joystick boxes that cost a ton, so the final stick price will be above $500 USD, if not a LOT above $500 USD, so I don't even know if I'll do all 6. I may just do one to see if it sells, then work on the next one etc.

If you're in a rush for LS-30s, I recommend the forums at KLOV as people list them every few months or so, about $200-300 for a pair, that's how I got my six.
drmister

Unread post by drmister »

XtraSmiley wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:42 pm I've had a few people ask me about these. So bottom line, I'm in no rush to make these, as parts are super hard to get right now. I'll be doing the prototype soon and I'll get some pics, but the final versions will be specifically ordered metal joystick boxes that cost a ton, so the final stick price will be above $500 USD, if not a LOT above $500 USD, so I don't even know if I'll do all 6. I may just do one to see if it sells, then work on the next one etc.

If you're in a rush for LS-30s, I recommend the forums at KLOV as people list them every few months or so, about $200-300 for a pair, that's how I got my six.
Thanks!