PSX A SmokeMonster/HTGD Type of Database/List?

seastalker

PSX A SmokeMonster/HTGD Type of Database/List?

Unread post by seastalker »

Looking at the HTGD database lists, there is a PlayStation Redump Supplement.txt, but it looks like no one has started the gigantic task of creating a full on SMDB list yet?

I have been working on this somewhat but am still testing some Japanese games for play-ability. Removing titles where Japanese language is required to play is a tedious process. I'm also sorting some playable games (puzzle, racing, by sport, etc) by genre. The other issue is finding out some titles translate to USA/EU games already covered.

A Peripheral section would be great (light gun, racing wheels).

Is anyone else working on this? Also if someone knows a good way to list the CHDs as an XML or usable database file to share with others, I'm all ears.

Useful sites to discover if a title has another regional equivalent:
https://psxdatacenter.com/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/catego ... 2&region=2 (sorting puzzle games now...)
aberu
Core Developer

Re: PSX A SmokeMonster/HTGD Type of Database/List?

Unread post by aberu »

For the full list there isn't much point. Redump has that covered. Since it's so huge in file size I don't think there is any motivation from the leaders of the HTGDB project to make it happen.

The HTGDB was originally designed, and still primarily is, for flash carts.
birdybro~
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Please forgive my ignorance but how does Redump already have 'that' covered? One can manually go through all titles to find duplicates, etc. Is there a function of Redump I may be unaware of that states which games to ignore if you don't know Japanese, or something pertaining to the OP?

I can see where a GAME SERIES COLLECTION folder would be a huge space hog of duplicates, but a 1G1R (one game one region) and or Hyperspin Hyperlist setup may be in order.

...or maybe I should just ask others here, How do YOU organize your PS1 collection?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I have been building a database... but I guess what you might be looking for would be a tool that would check all games you have and their game id, to see if there are any duplicate CDs?

I have been working on a tool that can read game ids from CD images for PSX games. There are a few games without a game id on the image, but they are pretty rare. Should only be a few Japanese games or something like that.

But to be clear, what you want is a way to look through all your CDs and see if any of them are duplicates, whether or not the CD image file has the same name as the duplicate or not?

The database I am building does try to include supported languages, but I have put together data from different sources, and not all of them have data on what languages the game supports.
Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

There already is a "Playstation Supplements" HTGDB list. In addition to that, I can recommend Retool for your '1G1R' lists. I'm not sure how accurate and/or complete Retool's lists are, but it seems nearly there at the minimum and at the very least it is VERY easy to use.

At some point in the future I might be able to contribute a HTGD list, though creating a Game Series Collection like folder is a lot of work. And without it, a HTGDB just doesn't have that much value IMO.