Can't get analog sticks to work with PSX core? [Solved]

Waifu4Life

Can't get analog sticks to work with PSX core? [Solved]

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Solved thanks to rhester72.

I can set them in the Main MiSTer core, but they don't work the PSX core or mister input tester. Rumble works fine however. So far, I tried:

-8BitDo Pro+
-8BitDo Joystick, (has an option to use the stick as analog or digital)
-Switch Pro Controller
-DualShock 2 via a PS2 to USB Converter

NOTE: I edited this topic since there was too many changes made since then

UPDATE: Using another MicroSD card, I did a clean install and then used the update script. I configured my 8BitDo Pro+ and then tried the Input Test, still doesn't work, so I'm out of idea.

AtomicShroom

Re: Can't get analog sticks to work with PSX core? [Solved]

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

the_importer wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:05 pm I only get left and right to work when I used one of these controllers with a USB cable. Rumble works fine however.
They work fine for me. Make sure to configure your analog sticks in the MiSTer main menu (as opposed to the core menu). The core uses what is setup in the main menu.
Waifu4Life

AtomicShroom wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:10 pm They work fine for me. Make sure to configure your analog sticks in the MiSTer main menu (as opposed to the core menu). The core uses what is setup in the main menu.
I did configure it in the main MiSTer core. Are you configuring U/D/L/R on the D-pad or analog stick? I get the same issue with my Switch Pro Controller BTW.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

U/D/L/R should be on the d-pad. The main menu config asks you to do both sticks twice (right and then down), and asks you to do stick one again at the very end.
Waifu4Life

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:20 pm U/D/L/R should be on the d-pad. The main menu config asks you to do both sticks twice (right and then down), and asks you to do stick one again at the very end.
Perhaps this is the issue then, the Main MiSTer core's button mapping never asks me for Analog Stick inputs.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

i have the sn30 pro wired and it works just fine

but, you do need to set it up first in the main mister controller setup - Define joystick buttons (not in the PSX core)
Waifu4Life

PikWik wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:19 am i have the same controller and it works just fine

but, you do need to set it up first in the main mister controller setup - Define joystick buttons (not in the PSX core)
We've already talked about this.

UPDATE: I updated Menu.rbf and now I can configure my analog sticks in MiSTer. That being said, now I get no response in the PSX core from the sticks (and yes, I know how to change from digital to analog mode).

UPDATE 2: Same deal with Switch Pro Controller, also tried deleting the PSX config files.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

hmmm,
it could be related to a default mode the controller is in. like, its in a "nintendo switch mode" when you power on the controller and you need to manually change it over to PC mode

https://manuals.plus/8bitdo/sn30-pro-bl ... pad-manual
Switch
press & hold Y & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.

Android CD – input)
press & hold B & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.

Windows (X – input)
press & hold X & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.

macOS
press & hold A & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.
i actually have the sn30 pro wired and the sn30 pro+ may be different.
i would head over to the controller sub chat on the mister discord and ask them too
Waifu4Life

PikWik wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:31 am hmmm,
it could be related to a default mode the controller is in. like, its in a "nintendo switch mode" when you power on the controller and you need to manually change it over to PC mode

https://manuals.plus/8bitdo/sn30-pro-bl ... pad-manual
Switch
press & hold Y & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.

Android CD – input)
press & hold B & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.

Windows (X – input)
press & hold X & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.

macOS
press & hold A & start to turn on the controller then press pair button for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode. LED starts to rotate from left to right.
i actually have the sn30 pro wired and the sn30 pro+ may be different.
i would head over to the controller sub chat on the mister discord and ask them too
Just tried the Direct Input mode, didn't change anything.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

It works for me. First start it in xinput (x plus start to power on) mode and map the keys in main menu, then it will work.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

You did say you know "how to change from digital to analog" but that's still not super clear. The only thing I've gotten working is for the PSX menu controller to be set as dualshock. Then exit the menu and go in game, and by default pressing mouse button once is easiest, and the OSD should inform you that you are in analog mode. I'm not sure the analog menu option (i.e. not dualshock) in the OSD really works.

Also I really had to go to the very end of the main menu controller config and input stick 1 a second time, I had issues before I did that.
Waifu4Life

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:56 pm You did say you know "how to change from digital to analog" but that's still not super clear. The only thing I've gotten working is for the PSX menu controller to be set as dualshock. Then exit the menu and go in game, and by default pressing mouse button once is easiest, and the OSD should inform you that you are in analog mode. I'm not sure the analog menu option (i.e. not dualshock) in the OSD really works.

Also I really had to go to the very end of the main menu controller config and input stick 1 a second time, I had issues before I did that.
I press L1+L2+R1+R2 + Up/Down to switch between digital and analog. I see the message on the screen when I switch from Digital to Analog, but the analog sticks don't do anything. Also, is it normal that in the PSX core, the button mapping don't offer Analog stick setups like I see in the Main MiSTer core button setup?
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

you can try the mister input tester.
also all psx games dosent support the analog sticks. also it can be l3+r3+up/dn.
u set the analog sticks in main mister menu.
also you try pad test for ps1 https://www.psx-place.com/resources/padtest.396/

updated the post
Waifu4Life

MorkMikael wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:40 pm you can try the mister input tester.
also all psx games dosent support the analog sticks. also it can be l3+r3+up/dn.
u set the analog sticks in main mister menu.
I'll give the input tester tester a try, thanks. As for the games, I've been trying games that I know support analog such as Chrono Cross and Crash 3.

EDIT: Didn't work in mister input tester, so it's not just the PSX core then.
MorkMikael

i use my 8bitdo controllers in B-mode.but i dont have a sn30 pro+.
also try redo the controller. stick 1 test tilt rights is left stick and stick 2 test tilt rights is the left stick.
if it work you can use the left stick move up and down in the menu on the mister osd
Waifu4Life

MorkMikael wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 pm i use my 8bitdo controllers in B-mode.but i dont have a sn30 pro+.
also try redo the controller. stick 1 test tilt rights is left stick and stick 2 test tilt rights is the left stick.
if it work you can use the left stick move up and down in the menu on the mister osd
Here's a video of the current situation:

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

the_importer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:47 am
UPDATE: I updated Menu.rbf and now I can configure my analog sticks in MiSTer. That being said, now I get no response in the PSX core from the sticks (and yes, I know how to change from digital to analog mode).

UPDATE 2: Same deal with Switch Pro Controller, also tried deleting the PSX config files.
This sounds like you update everything manually and not with the update script. In this case make sure all components are updated. If you only update the rbf files your Linux and the MiSTer Main will not be up to date. This can be the issue.
Waifu4Life

Chris23235 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 am This sounds like you update everything manually and not with the update script. In this case make sure all components are updated. If you only update the rbf files your Linux and the MiSTer Main will not be up to date. This can be the issue.
How would I go about updating the Linux portion of MiSTer manually via FTP?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

the_importer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:28 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 am This sounds like you update everything manually and not with the update script. In this case make sure all components are updated. If you only update the rbf files your Linux and the MiSTer Main will not be up to date. This can be the issue.
How would I go about updating the Linux portion of MiSTer manually via FTP?
I have no clue, I always use the update script.
Waifu4Life

Chris23235 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:46 pm I have no clue, I always use the update script.
Guess this will require a new topic then.

Thank you

UPDATE: Using another MicroSD card, I did a clean install and then used the update script. I configured my 8BitDo Pro+ and then tried the Input Test, still doesn't work, so I'm out of idea.
MorkMikael

try remove the cable and then hold b and press start then plug in the cable.if you have a Bluetooth try connecting to it and see if you get the same result.
Waifu4Life

MorkMikael wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:04 pm try remove the cable and then hold b and press start then plug in the cable.if you have a Bluetooth try connecting to it and see if you get the same result.
I tried that before, it doesn't change anything. I've been playing around and I found a strange way to make this partially work. During the gamepad configuration in the Main MiSTer, is I skip over configuring Stick1, then Left and right and Stick1 will work and and all direction of Stick2 will work, only thing missing is Up and Down on Sitck1.

This makes no sense.
MorkMikael

then i would try to update your controller firmware (do it at your own risk) https://support.8bitdo.com/firmware-updater.html
and see if it helps
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

both my ds3 and ds4 dont work the analog sticks on mister :\
Chris23235
Top Contributor

the_importer wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:12 pm
MorkMikael wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:04 pm try remove the cable and then hold b and press start then plug in the cable.if you have a Bluetooth try connecting to it and see if you get the same result.
I tried that before, it doesn't change anything. I've been playing around and I found a strange way to make this partially work. During the gamepad configuration in the Main MiSTer, is I skip over configuring Stick1, then Left and right and Stick1 will work and and all direction of Stick2 will work, only thing missing is Up and Down on Sitck1.

This makes no sense.
Do both axis are recognised in the configuration, when you try to register them? Do you also map any mouse axis?
pbsk8 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:20 pm both my ds3 and ds4 dont work the analog sticks on mister :\
I have a DS4 and an 8BitDo SNES wired controller. On both the analog sticks work fine.
Waifu4Life

MorkMikael wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:57 am then i would try to update your controller firmware (do it at your own risk) https://support.8bitdo.com/firmware-updater.html
and see if it helps
My firmware is up to date
Chris23235 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:40 pm Do both axis are recognised in the configuration, when you try to register them? Do you also map any mouse axis?
I posted a video in my first post to answer your 1st question. For your 2nd question, no, I don't map any mouse axis.
pbsk8 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:20 pm both my ds3 and ds4 dont work the analog sticks on mister :\
What USB Hub are you using?
DarkForce_256

Unread post by DarkForce_256 »

I have the exact same issue. Doesn't matter the controller, wired or wireless I get no response from the sticks.
KneeTie

Unread post by KneeTie »

Two suggestions:
1. Delete all your controller inputs.
2. When you configure your controller in Main, skip anything that says "Mouse"(Including Emu/Sniper) by clicking the User button.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

this

try making a fresh setup on the inputs. i have made the correct setup on main and the buttons on the core and everything works like a charm.
Waifu4Life

KneeTie wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:31 am Two suggestions:
1. Delete all your controller inputs.
2. When you configure your controller in Main, skip anything that says "Mouse"(Including Emu/Sniper) by clicking the User button.
neogeo81 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:40 am this

try making a fresh setup on the inputs. i have made the correct setup on main and the buttons on the core and everything works like a charm.
As stated in my main post: "Using another MicroSD card, I did a clean install and then used the update script." Also, I never mapped the Mouse or Sniper and the problem is also there in the MiSTer Input Test.