Final Fantasy 6 (T-Edition)

PikWik

Final Fantasy 6 (T-Edition)

Unread post by PikWik »

AfirerH.png
AfirerH.png (30.79 KiB) Viewed 6388 times

FF6 T-Edition is a popular Japanese ROM hack of Final Fantasy VI for the Super Famicom. It's intended for Final Fantasy VI fans who would like to play the game with new twists.

Think of Final Fantasy VI T-Edition as a fun, lengthy, and more difficult version of Final Fantasy VI from an alternate universe.

3MeKRKF.png
3MeKRKF.png (7.6 KiB) Viewed 6388 times

In simple terms, this ROM hack:

Retains the original story, but adds a LOT of new content *around* the main story, including side quests, locations, dungeons, super-bosses, unlockable character costumes (each with stat changes), a music player, and more Celebrates the Final Fantasy series in countless ways, including hundreds of pieces of music from other games in the series.

Updates the game's mechanics with bug fixes, difficulty modifications, new spells, new attacks, new items, and a whole lot more.

EiOhfAj.png
EiOhfAj.png (29.7 KiB) Viewed 6388 times

This Japanese ROM hack was developed many years ago using older tools and emulators. For this reason, some music tracks might sound strange/glitchy on actual hardware and on modern, accuracy-based FPGA systems. If this is a concern, then I recommend using the Music Fix Patch in this post

First, note there are two main patches to download and two additional patches to update things for the MiSTer:

* Final Fantasy VI T-Edition A3R11.ips
* Final Fantasy VI T-Edition EX A3R11.ips
* T Edition_Music_Fix.ips
* T Edition_Costume_Fix.ips

Think of the EX patch as a super-difficult post-game DLC for the main patch, and the other patches refine the game further.
The Costume Fix updates the stat upgrades when equipping the various costumes you will find.
This new Costume system replaces the original games magicite stat leveling.

Apply the first two patches to a Japanese Final Fantasy VI Super Famicom ROM, and then apply both of the additional patches (Music & Costume) to the patched ROMs. Noting, patching the first two patches must be done to a 1.0 version of the Japanese ROM, and must have a CRC of: 45EF5AC8

Free Online ROM Patcher - https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

The bonus EX patch requires the player to defeat Ultima in the main FF6 T-Edition patch. Once you've done this, go to the "Developer's Room" in Narshe's Beginner's House, then go to the "Mog House" room. Next, save your game at the save spot in the room.

We need to do a "save swap" now. It's kind of like swapping memory cards in real life, but it just involves renaming your save file on the computer/MiSTer instead.

Close your emulator, then find your FF6 T-Edition save file on your computer/MiSTer. Usually, it's the same name as the ROM's name, except with ".sav" at the end. So if you're playing "ff6t.smc", then your save file is in a folder marked "Saves" and is probably called "ff6t.sav". (If you haven't already, apply the EX patch to a **CLEAN** Final Fantasy VI v1.0 Japanese ROM, and call it "ff6t-ex.smc".)

Now, rename your save file to match the EX ROM's name. So if your EX ROM is named "ff6t-ex.smc", then rename your save file "ff6t-ex.sav". Make sure the newly renamed save file is still in the same folder that the original save file was in.

Once you've done this, load your EX ROM in your MiSTer, and if all went well, you should wake up in the Mog House again, but with a new door available.

SQtS8Gp.png
SQtS8Gp.png (16.65 KiB) Viewed 6388 times

---------------------------

now grab the ZIP file included in this thread and have fun!

more information can be found at the current team whos managing the mod - http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/top ... h-10-11922
the original creator has stepped away from the mod and left it to the above folks to refine it further
Attachments
FF6 T Edition - A3R11.zip
Last Updated 2/11/22
(3.78 MiB) Downloaded 648 times
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Final Fantasy 6 (T-Edition)

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for your post.
At some point in your post I became lost:
I used the correct ROM with the correct CRC.
I applied the 4 patches and now have Final Fantasy VI (Japan).sfc as the patched version.
What do I get at this point as I became lost after
"The bonus EX patch requires the player to defeat Ultima in the main FF6 T-Edition patch.....".
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

ahh, apologies if that was confusing.
the order of patching is like this -

patch the original japanese FF6 ROM with Final Fantasy VI T-Edition A3R11.ips,
then patch T Edition_Music_Fix.ips,
then patch T Edition_Costume_Fix.ips

and then if you want to prepare the EX version,
patch the original japanese FF6 ROM with Final Fantasy VI T-Edition EX A3R11.ips,
then patch T Edition_Music_Fix.ips,
then patch T Edition_Costume_Fix.ips

you will have 2 final SNES ROMs.
the regular game, Final Fantasy VI T-Edition A3R11, and then the EX game, Final Fantasy VI T-Edition EX A3R11.
noting, you will only be able to play the EX version once you defeat Ultima
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks, it is much better now. Applying the 4 patches did not result in a playable ROM to say the least.
Following your new instructions I created the first ROM which is basically the English translation.
The 2nd ROM is more like a precursor to the EX version which can only be played by doing some voodoo as you explained by first playing the first ROM up to a certain point and making a save file ...
The cool thing is that I tried the EX ROM without making a save file first and it gives the instructions.
Now the hard part: I am not a good player so I guess I will have to die a gazillion times before getting the save file. Such is life.