USB Wiring Problem

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Bren McGuire

USB Wiring Problem

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

20220514-105557.jpg

This is a USB extension I made, I plugged it in itself just to show that every wire makes contact with the wire of the same colour when plugged.

Is this the correct way to wire it? Also: do I need to connect the outer shells to something (as of now they're not connected)?

The problem with this extension is that it doesn't work on the MiSTer, and neither on my PC. Well, on PC it works only partially: USB keyboards work (although windows gives out an error message), while controllers don't work and I just get the error message (windows says it can't recognize the USB device).

What could be the problem?

P.S. by "outer shell" I mean this:

Pearstone-USB-AA10-USB-2-0-Type-A-689965-crop.jpg

as of now it's not connected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bren McGuire

Re: USB Wiring Problem

Update: I checked some youtube tutorials (I don't know why I didn't think about doing that before) and I can confirm that my wiring is correct:

Opera-Snapshot-2022-05-15-192700-www-youtube-com.png

Moreover, I also checked the cables for continuity with the multimeter and I can say that every wire makes contact where it should and there are no short circuits.

At this point I'm at a loss, my only hypothesis left is that the plugs and/OR the sockets are somehow malformed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bren McGuire

Re: USB Wiring Problem

I feel like an idiot talking to myself but in case someday someone would find this useful I want to notify that I found the problem: it was those damned USB boards. Out of 4 that I bought only one works acceptably, on the other 3 in order for any peripheral to get recognized you have to tilt the plug after you insert it.

mainimage0-USB-Modulo-di-Alimentazione-Femmina-USB-Tipo-A-Femmina-Breakout-Tagliere-Scheda-di-Conver.jpg