Cannot Update Main MiSTer Using Update All

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Cannot Update Main MiSTer Using Update All

Unread post by Malor »

Your fundamental problem is that you've plugged in a new hard drive *after* downloading everything to the SD card, so that the update script is getting confused. You've got some files on the SD and some files on the HD, which is an unanticipated configuration.

One way to fix it is to get everything moved properly to the HD. You'll have to do that manually. Another way to fix it, which would be easier but take longer, is to remake your SD card with a new image, attach your hard drive and ensure it's visible in the filesystem, and only *then* run update_all. At that point, the USB filesystem will take priority and should receive everything from update_all.

Note that you'll want to be sure to change the INI settings to be absolutely certain that update_all is downloading to the correct location before running it the first time.

I use my Mister running against an SMB3 share, so I've moved almost everything out of /media/fat into /media/fat/cifs, and manually created symlinks so that nothing gets confused. Hard links don't work across filesystems, but symlinks do.... ln -s /path/to/target /path/to/symlink.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I guess your post refers to my latest post. What you said is not the case for my current setup but you are right about not running the update script before connecting the USB drive and setting everything correctly, I know from experience.
A little history:
Until fairly recently I was using the old update script as I did not like it when it came out, I just tried it once.
Some 3 months ago I decided to give it another try and as I did not want to mess up my current setting I copied everything from my work HD to a temp HD and made a new SD card. At this point, stupid of me, I ran the update script on the SD card fresh from Mr. Fusion and with no USB HD connected.
When I realized my mistake I deleted everything on the SD card which is on the USB HD, connected my USB HD, created the symlinks, ini files ... and ran again the update script which realized that thing were now on USB and tried to move things from the SD card to the USB drive, as I had deleted this stuff it failed. At this point I deleted /media/fat/Scripts/.config, which I should have done before, and ran update_all again, this time with no problem.
After testing for a while I decided to switch to the downloader on my work system. My work SD card has been in use for a very long time so I decided to redo it. This time I made sure to setup everything properly and connect the USB drive before running update_all. Since then I had no problem updating and I run the update frequently, usually as soon there is an announcement on the forum.
The problem appeared only after downloader 1.5 from 05/06 when I ran the update for MISTer main 05/17.
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

Malor wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:33 pm Your fundamental problem is that you've plugged in a new hard drive *after* downloading everything to the SD card, so that the update script is getting confused. You've got some files on the SD and some files on the HD, which is an unanticipated configuration.
Absolutely not correct. My configuratuin was set up way before the "new" update script. There was no problem with the "old" one.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

eh, nevermind. You've decided what the problem is, and there's no way to convince you otherwise.
jvas

Unread post by jvas »

Malor wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 pm eh, nevermind. You've decided what the problem is, and there's no way to convince you otherwise.
Not really. The downloader supports the files to be split on different volumes. There is no need to have everything either on the internal SD or the USB. The donwloader.ini is configured accordingly.
I would like to have the cores and scripts on the internal SD and the CD images and game roms on the USB.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

If you still have the problem look at one of my posts:
viewtopic.php?p=54387#p54387
I should help you to figure out what to do. You can put whatever you want on the USB drive and create the symlinks accordingly. Just pay attention to mame getter and hbmame getter, you may have to create ini files for those.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

jvas wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:30 pm I would like to have the cores and scripts on the internal SD and the CD images and game roms on the USB.
This is similar to what I'm doing at the moment. The HDD has Amiga/PC/PSX/Mega & PC Engine CD stuff on it. Everything else is on the SD. I'm pretty sure I've done at least a couple of update_alls since setting that up and did not see any errors yet.

Also, I did not touch any configs or made any symlinks. I simply plugged that HDD in and renamed the corresponding /Games/ directories on the SD card so they are not recognized first anymore.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

akeley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:29 pm
jvas wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:30 pm I would like to have the cores and scripts on the internal SD and the CD images and game roms on the USB.
This is similar to what I'm doing at the moment. The HDD has Amiga/PC/PSX/Mega & PC Engine CD stuff on it. Everything else is on the SD. I'm pretty sure I've done at least a couple of update_alls since setting that up and did not see any errors yet.

Also, I did not touch any configs or made any symlinks. I simply plugged that HDD in and renamed the corresponding /Games/ directories on the SD card so they are not recognized first anymore.
Renaming on the SD isnt needed, The Mister looks first on the USB HD then the SD card. So the USB HD folder overrides the SD folder
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:48 pm Renaming on the SD isnt needed, The Mister looks first on the USB HD then the SD card. So the USB HD folder overrides the SD folder
You're right, seems to work now just like that. So it really is just Plug'n Play.
mastershakelock

Unread post by mastershakelock »

jca wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:27 pm You can try to delete the /media/fat/Scripts/.config directory and run the update_all script, the script will think it has never been run and will take longer than usual but it should, hopefully, fix the problem. If not redoing the SD card will be the easiest method.
Was having the exact issue as this user with my main setup on SD and large collection on 4tb drive.. deleting the config folder and starting from scratch fixed for me.. thx!
tdmax7377

Unread post by tdmax7377 »

hello, today I received my de-10 Nano, recorded the mr-fusion-v2.7.img disk image, then inserted the memory card and turned on my mister, then I downloaded the update_all.sh script, typed F12 on the keyboard, then ran the update script .all.sh , but suddenly an error, what did I do wrong? when I try to open the WIFI script, the same error pops up.