Using an analog joystick with Moto Racer?

thorr
Top Contributor

Using an analog joystick with Moto Racer?

Unread post by thorr »

This is probably impossible due to the current restrictions in the MiSTer's input system, but I thought I would ask...

I have a CH Products Mach III analog joystick that I have converted to a USB 3-button dual-axis analog joystick (X, Y, 3 buttons).

DSC_2202-300x200.jpg
DSC_2202-300x200.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 557 times

In the game Moto Racer, it uses the left thumbstick for steering left and right, and it uses the right thumbstick from throttle and brake.

I want to use my joystick instead, but I have no idea if this is possible. I want up/down on my joystick to register as the left thumbstick's up/down, and right/left on my joystick to register as the right thumbstick's left/right. I want to map the three buttons to other functions in the game, such as turbo/stunts and possibly gear shifting.

Is there any way to accomplish this? I used to play this game on a PC using this joystick and it would be great to use the PSX in the same way.

I also want to get Forsaken working with my Thrustmaster Hotas joystick like I did on the PC, but I probably will run into the same issues and won't be able to use it the way I want to. I haven't tried yet.

I keep wishing that the input system on the MiSTer could be replaced to be like the Mame system where any device's control can be mapped to anything, even using multiple different devices pretending to be one device. This is just another example of why this would be beneficial. I have posted other examples in the past.

Also, is there a way to have per-game joystick mappings, instead of per core?

Thanks!
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Using an analog joystick with Moto Racer?

Unread post by akeley »

thorr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:20 am Also, is there a way to have per-game joystick mappings, instead of per core?
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/538