MiSTer Multisystem Laptop - LT prototype

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
multisystem

MiSTer Multisystem Laptop - LT prototype

Unread post by multisystem »

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick few images of the Multisystem LT prototype.

Spec -
Using the Multisystem (MiSTer) Motherboard
10" 1920x1200 Gaming Screen
Integrated speakers
Front mounted full sized SD card slot
Integrated keyboard - looking for a better and higher quality, but not bad for the first prototype.
Plenty of space inside for a SSD and/or or battery pack if required.
All running on a single +5v input (4A).

Obviously inspired by the PC engine LT / and the old IBM Thinkpads -

Let me know what you think?

Cheers,

Rich.

MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_Front_panel_open.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_Monkey.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_back_ports_closed.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_back_open.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_Front_open.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_ISO.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_SF.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_menu.jpg
MMS_LT_Prototype_May2022_MiSTer_Side_screen_controls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
venice
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer Multisystem Laptop - LT prototype

Unread post by venice »

Cool!
Please try to make the SNAC Port and a Headphone Connector available.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

This looks fantastic. How well does the screen handle non 60hz screen modes (50hz PAL, 70hz for ao486)?
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I think this is a brilliant idea! Always wanted a MiSTer handheld, yet the issue with a MiSTer handheld for me is that there's no uniform control scheme that suits every game type. Whereas this would be amazing as a tabletop console that you can bring with you anywhere and plug whatever controller you want into it.

Here's my personal wishlist for a MiSTer laptop (excluding everything you mentioned Rich):
-a headphone jack
-touch screen support (not necessary and don't know what it'd be used for, but it could be a futureproof idea for future cores)
-an integrated mouse on the integrated keyboard (either a nub or a touchpad mouse with left and right click)
-an HDMI port that allows you to plug the laptop into a TV, making it a hybrid platform (think docking it like a Switch)
-a SNAC port or even better 2 SNAC ports to differentiate your board from other MiSTer boards

Lastly, I know this isn't part of the original MiSTer Multisystem plans, but it'd be nice to have a digital I/O option so Dual RAM can be supported. It's way too early to say, but Saturn and Jaguar cores may need those in the future.

Tbh, I think this is an amazing idea and proof of concept, and I totally want one, but I don't want to sacrifice Dual RAM or other features when I already have a MiSTer setup that can do both. I'd 100% get one if it was feature complete as a standard MiSTer with the obvious added flexibility of being portable.

TLDR; I'd totally buy one and pass my current MiSTer on to my brother if this setup can be on par feature wise with a Digital I/O board, Dual RAM standard MiSTer setup. Hope my feedback helps :)
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

You've got my attention! :)
MrMister1985

Unread post by MrMister1985 »

Wow! this looks really cool! Would love one of these as well!
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

I love the concept.

My concerns:
- a bigger screen would be nice (I really can't stand these 9 or 10 inches screens);
- 3D printing is still bumming me (to the point I passed on the Multisystem because of that);
- MT32 is a must because it would be great for computer systems;
- ports should be on the sides and behind, not in front (but that is a Multisystem limitation, I know).
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

My only suggestion is to include a headphone jack
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

That big sticky-outy switch on the front is probably going to be massively unpopular with people trying to use it as an actual laptop. Similarly, that USB placement is uniquely bad. I realize you're trying to re-use the existing boards, but putting important stuff on the front plate is a non-starter for a laptop. You'll need a board that routes the I/O to the sides or to the back.

If you did a Multisystem II board that used an I/O plate and screw pattern compatible with ATX, it could be plugged into any case, and should also then work fine as a laptop, since laps and stomachs wouldn't be blocking the most important ports, or accidentally toggling switches that probably shouldn't be toggled.

Even if you figured out the switch problem, cables digging into your stomach would be uncomfortable, and would put a heck of a lot of stress on both the controllers and on the ports. Warranty fixes would probably eat all your profits.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Slipard wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:21 am- MT32 is a must because it would be great for computer systems;
The MT32-pi would probably come close to doubling power consumption, so that might not work well in laptop format. You'd either cut runtime substantially when it's being used, and somewhat even when it's in standby, or you'd need a much larger battery.

edit: well, close to doubling what the DE-10 itself takes. I don't know how much load the screen and keyboard impose.
multisystem

Unread post by multisystem »

Malor wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:41 pm
Slipard wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:21 am- MT32 is a must because it would be great for computer systems;
The MT32-pi would probably come close to doubling power consumption, so that might not work well in laptop format. You'd either cut runtime substantially when it's being used, and somewhat even when it's in standby, or you'd need a much larger battery.

edit: well, close to doubling what the DE-10 itself takes. I don't know how much load the screen and keyboard impose.
This prototype is not using a battery - it's still externally powered with a 4A 5v PSU - that's doing all the Multisystem (MiSTer) and the Screen etc.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

So adding an MT32-Pi would probably add another 2A to be safe... a 50% increase in power consumption. That's not important if it's to be a plugin-only device, but if the plan is to make it battery-powered, that would hurt a lot.

Also perhaps worth noting: 30 total watts is real laptop territory. We're used to thinking of the Mister as a low-power solution, but in the laptop space, that's not wonderful. It's not terrible either, but many laptops take less power, probably even while running game emulators.
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

I wanna have the MT32-Pi, because part of the MiSTer appeal is to revenge your youth when you had just a S3 video card with an Adlib card, but I don't mind keeping a desktop solution.

At least, there is a valid reason not to have this extension on a portable MiSTer.
ToothbrushThreepwood

Unread post by ToothbrushThreepwood »

A Pi Zero 2 draws around 0.5 A when run headless under max load, and draws very little power when idle, so power/battery life is not that big of an issue when using this Pi.
That said, I don’t think a peripheral SBC should be a priority for this sort of AIO setup. Those who cannot live without midi can use the onboard ARM core for fluidsynth/munt or connect an external Pi.