Strange results after running update_all script

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
ban

Strange results after running update_all script

Unread post by ban »

I've just received my DE10-Nano and finished putting it all together.

The first thing I did was to setup the Mister using the Mr Fusion image and ran the update script.
Then I downloaded and ran the update_all script and ran that as well, but I noticed that then the update_all script finished, I noticed a few things happened:
- I lost quite few games folders and possible cores (games folder originally had 84 folders for games and now has 54)
- Some of the remaining folders have been renamed

I ran update_all with the default settings - could this be what caused the above to happen?
What would be the recommended settings for the running this script?
Or did I download the script?

Thanks in advance
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Strange results after running update_all script

Unread post by jca »

54 folders in games is a little short, on my system I have around 110 but this includes many unofficial cores, some folders which are not created by the update scripts (mainly from the Other category, but also APPLE-1, PDP1). The update script deleting folders seems strange to me. Could you give an example of a folder being renamed?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Is this to your SDCard or is this on a USB drive that is formatted NTFS? The new Game & Watch core has an unusual internal name with the ampersand character, so I'm assuming there might be some bug there, possibly.
birdybro~
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I have a USB drive formatted ext4 and Game & Watch is not a problem but I created it manually when I was using the old unofficial core.
I just tested on my PC with NTFS and the name is not a problem. This does not mean that there is no problem with the update script.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I'm using update_all here; I think I ran the regular update script once or twice, too. I presently have 91 folders under games.

In its Settings screen, I have Main and jtcores enabled. Theypsilon unofficial and LLAPI cores are disabled. BIOS and MAME getters are enabled; HBMAME is disabled. Names.txt is disabled, Arcade Organizer is enabled.

In the Misc category, Use New Downloader is enabled. The next four options are disabled. Autoreboot is Yes, Pause is 2 seconds, Countdown Timer is 15 seconds.

I seem to have a very complete system here.

edit: oh, most of my ROMs and settings are kept on an SMB3 share, under /media/fat/cifs/. I have symlinked most of the other subdirs in /media/fat/ to live under /media/fat/cifs instead.

As an aside, that links to a Samba share on ZFS. The server runs sanoid, and the hourly snapshots saved my butt once... I was trying to hexedit the FF3 save for the SNES and bollixed things up horribly. (I was trying to change the character names to lowercase, which I'd forgotten to do until a ways into the game.) I was able to recover a backup, and lost no playtime.

ZFS snapshots are goddamn wonderful, and they seem to play nicely with Mister.