tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
michelefornasini

Re: tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Unread post by michelefornasini »

the thing was simpler than expected, I renamed the jpg file with the displayed name by opening the mister menu with f12, in the case of Legend of Hero Tonma it was lohtj.jpg not loht.jpg, same thing for Dragon Breed
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

michelefornasini wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:07 pm the thing was simpler than expected, I renamed the jpg file with the displayed name by opening the mister menu with f12, in the case of Legend of Hero Tonma it was lohtj.jpg not loht.jpg, same thing for Dragon Breed
Thanks for reporting. This is very interesting and need some inspection. Normally, tty2tft should find a shorter name. For example: MiSTer is looking for "lohtabcdef", tty2tft can't find such a picture and strips down the needed name character by character until it finds a matching name, here "loht", which is/was existing.
I'll have a look the next days. No "real" work on this weekend as we're doing a massive work in gardening ;)
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
RealLarry
Top Contributor

michelefornasini wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:07 pm the thing was simpler than expected, I renamed the jpg file with the displayed name by opening the mister menu with f12, in the case of Legend of Hero Tonma it was lohtj.jpg not loht.jpg, same thing for Dragon Breed
Congrats, you have found a bug! While my routine, which strips down the CORENAME character by character, was okay, I have found and removed a bug that resets the CORENAME to the originally transmitted one after looking for a video.

The procedure is:
1) Set a variable with the transmitted CORENAME
2) Have a look at SD for that picture name
3) If not found, strip down the filename until something matches or length of filename <2
4) If still not found -> show "not found"
5) If found, the shortened filename will be the base for video and picture
6a) Play video if available
6b) Bug: reset filename/variable
7) Play picture if available

There will be an update tomorrow after some more testing. This update will include the WiFi Bugfix as no one complained/commented (or has tested) this fix, but which is working fine for me.
After that update you can rename your pictures to the "correct" (shorter) filename, which will match all versions of that game with longer titles.
michelefornasini

Unread post by michelefornasini »

Really happy to have been helpful
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220828

This time two issues got fixed:

The first one is an extension to the WiFi scan, which timeout issue occurs from time to time. I'm sure that it is located somewhere in environments, where WiFi mesh and/or mixed WPA2+WPA3 is in use, which are already known to be problematic with some ESP devices (but not for all devices and not always, which makes it more difficult to solve).

The second one was an issue with the "shortening name" routine as already explained above.
Thanks to @michelefornasini who pointed me to this bug!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

New! Hot! Sexy! Free chicks and beer! Erm, no, unfortunately, not. But even hot!
General purpose update script for tty2xxx displays (including i2c2oled and update_all)
FDA

Unread post by FDA »

thank you for the update and the script! :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220914

With this update, tty2tft will be able to update itself instead of uploading and flashing by script/esptool. To achieve that, you'll have to enable WiFi in /wifi.txt of ESP's SD card and to set the new option TTY2TFT_UPDATE_BY="WEB" in tty2tft-user.ini (default is "USB" in tty2tft-system.ini).

Other changes worth mentioning:
  • Update to the latest version of the display drivers
  • Spinner of "Downloading..." banner fixed (wrong positioning)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

As promised, I've just published the Source Code of tty2tft. Feel free to adapt or fork and do whatever you want, as long as you respect the license.
Welcome @Ahmadexp for the reminder. We look forward for your additions :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220926

Nothing new for the existing users, but a new experienced user (Thanks @Ahmadexp) bought an ILI9341 SPI based display and got it to run with changes/additions to a few lines of code only. And that's the cause for this update.
See the project's documentation for details.

The very interesting detail with this display is that it MIGHT be possible to get the touch functionality to work. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned for news on this.
Edit (220927): Touch IS working with this display!

• Added ILI9341SPI as a new option to the variable TTY2TFT_DISPLAY in tty2tft-system.ini, respectively tty2tft-user.ini
salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

RealLarry wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:27 pm Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220926

Nothing new for the existing users, but a new experienced user (Thanks @Ahmadexp) bought an ILI9341 SPI based display and got it to run with changes/additions to a few lines of code only. And that's the cause for this update.
See the project's documentation for details.

The very interesting detail with this display is that it MIGHT be possible to get the touch functionality to work. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned for news on this.
Edit (220927): Touch IS working with this display!

• Added ILI9341SPI as a new option to the variable TTY2TFT_DISPLAY in tty2tft-system.ini, respectively tty2tft-user.ini
nice news!!!!

:D Let's see if I can try later
RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:59 am :D Let's see if I can try later
Just go on! :) But there will be another update this day (or tomorrow), which will include rudimentary touch support for the ILI9341 SPI and a new (better: changed) function that will show any Core picture centered...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220928

As already announced, here is the new release with rudimentary touch support for the Adafruit 2.8 SPI based ILI9341 and centered pictures. The latter was a request from @OnCor and easier to implement than I thought first.

Changes in detail:
  • Revised header in source code for easier configuring and compiling
  • Touch support (rudimentary, just for testing and only for the specific mentioned display)
  • Pictures are always shown centered. This means if you are having/creating a picture that is lesser in X or Y size than display's dimension, it will be shown centered on the screen instead of the top left as before
  • Fixed an outstanding bug with HTTP requests resulting in 302 - redirected
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 221005

Nothing new for the users of the parallel displays, but full touch support for the Adafruit 2.8 SPI based ILI9341 !

Changes in detail:
  • Six user definable touch buttons, two fixed touch buttons (SysInfo, OSD)
  • Updated Daemon and tty2tft-system.ini for touch support
SysInfo is based on the work of @ahmadexp who gave me the info about this display and wanted to implement his own code, but I was faster :ugeek: Thanks a lot, mate!

As you can see, the buttons are ordered as usual from left to right, from top to bottom. The picture below demonstrate this numbering scheme.
Buttons "User1", "User2" and "User3" are "undefined", but in tty2tft-system.ini set to log an entry into MiSTers system log when one of the buttons is touched.
"Reset MiSTer", "Reset Core" and "Exit to Menu" are predefined with their appropriate functions in tty2tft-system.ini. But all these six buttons can be redefined by copying and editing the corresponding line(s) from tty2tft-system.ini to tty2tft-user.ini.

touch-assignment.png
When the touch menu is displayed, screensaver is set to off. There is no timeout, means that touch menu is displayed until you touched a button. To exit, touch the Trash can (giggle)

Download the picture below and throw it onto your SD to /jpg/320x240/#/
If you are going to define and title your own buttons, just edit that picture and replace it on SD.
Anything I forgot? Dunno. Shouldn't. Just ask if in doubt :)

000-touchscreen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warham

Unread post by warham »

Are there instructions for how to build this new adafruit display version version?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

warham wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:19 pm Are there instructions for how to build this new adafruit display version version?
Jep, still at the project page. If in doubt to anything, just ask :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

A tiny update to the Daemon and tty2tft-system.ini :
Touch button 8 is also user definable now and is pre-defined with a real F12 keystroke, not a simulated one.
Credits are going to @warham for the hints!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the source and the "open binary" 221022

This bugfix update for the touch screens fixes the touch buttons when rotating the screen by 180° (ROTATE="yes" in tty2tft-user.ini).

Changes in detail:
  • Removed portrait mode from Daemon, but can still be used when manually compiling
  • Default orientation of display can be selected by variable in sketch now (see DispRotation at top)
Credits once again go to @warham for rotation his screen :)
blacklistedcard

Unread post by blacklistedcard »

Checking to see if someone was successful using this screen as mention before. I have my mister in a Arcade 1up cabinet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801434923521.html

Dwaine
RealLarry
Top Contributor

blacklistedcard wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:34 am Checking to see if someone was successful using this screen as mention before. I have my mister in a Arcade 1up cabinet.
No way. Even if there might be ways to drive this display, I''m sure that an ESP is way too slow to drive a display with such a huge display resolution.
This display is a case for tty2rpi.
warham

Unread post by warham »

user ini settings for volume and escape thanks to RealLarry

TOUCHBUTTON1="/media/fat/Scripts/mbc raw_seq :72"
TOUCHBUTTON2="/media/fat/Scripts/mbc raw_seq :71"
TOUCHBUTTON3="/media/fat/Scripts/mbc raw_seq :73"
TOUCHBUTTON4="/usr/sbin/reboot"
TOUCHBUTTON5="/media/fat/Scripts/mbc raw_seq MUUO"
TOUCHBUTTON6="/media/fat/Scripts/mbc raw_seq E"

TOUCHBUTTON8="/media/fat/Scripts/mbc raw_seq :58"

ZJrcLG8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blacklistedcard

Unread post by blacklistedcard »

RealLarry wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:40 am
blacklistedcard wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:34 am Checking to see if someone was successful using this screen as mention before. I have my mister in a Arcade 1up cabinet.
No way. Even if there might be ways to drive this display, I''m sure that an ESP is way too slow to drive a display with such a huge display resolution.
This display is a case for tty2rpi.
Thanks. I will look at the other project to getting the raspberry pi to display on the LCD
warham

Unread post by warham »

08F7yyq.png
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Nice update to the touch screen buttons warham! :) I made some changes for mine as well to give it a more "3D" feel.
000-touchscreen.jpg
I like how you have all the buttons spaced evenly. Did you have to tweak the code to change the position of each virtual button to do that or do all the buttons work (especially that return button) with the positions that RealLarry set?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:22 pmDid you have to tweak the code to change the position of each virtual button to do that or do all the buttons work (especially that return button) with the positions that RealLarry set?
We already spoke to each other. His buttons are at the exact position like mine, except the return/trash can button. For the next update I'll either set a new option to specify the position of the lower left button - or maybe better I'll align this button to the grid.
Another option by his request will be switchable option not to exit the touch button screen after a touch - he is partially using the touch screen as a remote keyboard, like arrow up/down/etc/enter and the automatic exit to core's picture is rather a hindrance then.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

RealLarry wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:41 pm
OnCor wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:22 pmDid you have to tweak the code to change the position of each virtual button to do that or do all the buttons work (especially that return button) with the positions that RealLarry set?
We already spoke to each other. His buttons are at the exact position like mine, except the return/trash can button. For the next update I'll either set a new option to specify the position of the lower left button - or maybe better I'll align this button to the grid.
Another option by his request will be switchable option not to exit the touch button screen after a touch - he is partially using the touch screen as a remote keyboard, like arrow up/down/etc/enter and the automatic exit to core's picture is rather a hindrance then.
That is great news! As always a million thanks for the work you do on this project. :D
warham

Unread post by warham »

Thanks for all the cool stuff guys~!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

User @OnCor (now named MiSTer Consoles) bought a commercial license for tty2tft. He is now an official licensee! Hooray, welcome and thank you very much!

We (Venice, d.ti and I) decided to donate any (so his) license fee and donation we make with our projects to a charity organisation.

That said, OnCor's fee of ~$100 went to Aktion Deutschland hilft:

Donation receipt for transparency:

donation.pdf

The difference from €88,- to $100,- is based on exchange rate and PayPals fees (Bastards!)

MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

RealLarry wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:32 am

User @OnCor (now named MiSTer Consoles) bought a commercial license for tty2tft. He is now an official licensee! Hooray, welcome and thank you very much!

We (Venice, d.ti and I) decided to donate any (so his) license fee and donation we make with our projects to a charity organisation.

That said, OnCor's fee of ~$100 went to Aktion Deutschland hilft:

MiSTer is such a cool project and adding these little screens takes it to a whole new level. The color displays look particularly amazing in my custom 3D printed cases. I'm happy to be able to contribute to the TTY projects and also to some very worthwhile charities. Thanks to Real Larry, Venice, and d.ti for all their hard work and for being so generous with their time and the proceeds they are collecting from the commercial licenses! :D

IMG_4741 (2) - Copy.jpg
Hackula

Unread post by Hackula »

@RealLarry
I am trying to find out the folder structure. Issue I am having is the cores images function fine however upon initial boot, its shows the error I attached.
Now like I said once I open a core, all is fine.
Folder structure and format I have setup is
Root of SD card formatted in fat:
jpg/480x320/#,A,B,C etc
mjpeg/480x320/#,A,B,C etc
It matches what your folder structure is from the files found on GitHub.
I do have wifi on so I can upload any images needed.