8BitDo Pro 2 Wired Controller Button Issue

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Idelacio

8BitDo Pro 2 Wired Controller Button Issue

Unread post by Idelacio »

This one:
https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2-wired-controller/

Connects fine enough via direct input but then multiple buttons can't be pressed at once.
For example you can run with B but can't jump with A in mario withhout releasing run (B) first.
You can't jump in sonic with B, hold it down and then jump with Y, works in reverse order.

I notice none of the other owners have mentioned it but it was the first thing I noticed so maybe something is off about my setup?

Mister v220517
OS v220413
Any core
USB Hub 2.1 (https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/usb-hu ... ster-fpga/)
Tested with 1.02 and 1.03 firmware

Although I notice the 1.03 firmware DOES manage to automatically set to direct input (X) when before had to be done manually.

Now then here's the thing:
The button issue is semi-fixable from what little I've tested with 1.03 beta firwmare (need to do this with the 'Ultimate Software' and select beta firmware from the menu in the top left.
The catch is that you now have to hold down Y when you plug the pad in instead. Takes a couple of seconds to initialise.
You should now be able to press multiple buttons at once
So they fixed the limited X option but now have to use Y instead for full feature.

Am I alone in this experience? Is there a fix for needing to hold down Y while plugging it in?
If not and anyone else was wondering well here you go I suppose, better than a kick in the teeth but still not ideal.
Krypto

Re: 8BitDo Pro 2 Wired Controller Button Issue

Unread post by Krypto »

I'm using 1.03 beta and not seeing your problem. How does it react in InputTest?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

There's a slidey switch on the bottom of the stick to set it to XInput mode, which is how I use mine. The built-in Linux xpad driver handles it beautifully, and can set the stick to 1000Hz polling if you set it that way with the Mister utility script.

Your firmware is substantially out of date, as well. The one I bought months ago came with 1.05, and I think the current release is 1.08.
Idelacio

Krypto wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:10 am I'm using 1.03 beta and not seeing your problem. How does it react in InputTest?
Thanks, that helped isolate the issue: B was set to mouse sniper mode and that was overriding inputs.

So turned out to be user error. Interesting how this doesn't affect x-input mode, all the other controllers I tested use x-input so it presented a false correlation at first glance. Not really an issue as the pad has plenty of unused buttons that can be mapped instead.

Moral of this story is don't do this when you haven't had enough sleep... XD
Malor wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:53 am There's a slidey switch on the bottom of the stick to set it to XInput mode, which is how I use mine.
Sounds like you are using a different gamepad there, the one I'm using linked in my first post has no sliding switches and 1.03 is the latest firmware directly through their software.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

Malor, we are talking about the 8BitDo Pro 2 Wired controller, which is a completely different model from the wireless version.

Good you got it working. The only problem I see with this controller and the MiSTer is that rumble is completely broken with the current firmware which would be nice to have with the PSX core. I brought this to the attention of customer support, but they countered with a statement that Linux wasn't officially supported. That begs the question what exactly they think runs on the Raspberry Pi, which is supported? :) Hopefully they will stumble into full MiSTer support with a future firmware update. After all, their other wired controller, the SN30 Pro USB, works perfectly with the MiSTer.
Idelacio

Just glad the 1.03 firmware fixes that obnoxious connection issue, if they can improve though that's always welcome.

Curious as to what the actual latency of this pad is with the MiSter, the spreadsheet that's online only details the wireless Pro 2.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Sorry, I was entirely unaware that 8bitdo had also released a specific wired Pro 2 version; I have the Bluetooth flavor, but always use it wired.

How strange that they don't have the option to set the wired one to the various input modes.
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

try hold B and connect usb to mister
Idelacio

Malor wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:35 am Sorry, I was entirely unaware that 8bitdo had also released a specific wired Pro 2 version; I have the Bluetooth flavor, but always use it wired.

How strange that they don't have the option to set the wired one to the various input modes.
It is somewhat odd with these two, normally 8bitdo require button inputs to set mode for their wireless devices and switches for the wired. I guess it's to make it more intuitive.
MorkMikael wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:13 am try hold B and connect usb to mister
Don't need to do that on 1.03, automatically sets itself to direct input mode.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I was just having a really weird problem with my 8BitDo Bluetooth controller; no matter how many times I tried to set it properly, the 'select' and 'cancel' buttons for menu mode kept coming out backward. I probably tried reconfiguring it about ten times, and it just would not stick properly; it would work for the same session, but as soon as I'd reboot, the buttons would be swapped.

The solution that I eventually hit on was to delete the input config file on disk; if you look in media/fat/config/inputs, the main Mister config should be the only thing starting with 'input' directly. (everything else has a core name first.) Delete that file, immediately type reboot, and then run through a reconfiguration again, and it's possible your problems might go away. If you have any specific cores that give you trouble, doing the same thing with their config files (delete, reboot, and reconfigure) might also help.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Fellow owners of Pro 2 Wired: is it safe to update the firmware?