ROMs Work On Install, But Stop Working Later

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
GBJ

ROMs Work On Install, But Stop Working Later

Unread post by GBJ »

Hello there, new guy here. I've been running into a few issues getting my MiSTer set up; I like to consider myself more technically adept than the average citizen, but my reach may have exceeded my grasp here. I'll try to be quick and detailed with my issue.

-Purchased Digital IO kit from MiSTer Addons
-It came with a pre-config 8gb mini SD
-Ran update_all
-Removed SD to install ROMs manually via card reader connected to computer. Drag entire libraries over (100+ files each) to copy onto SD.
-Loaded .gb, .gbc, .nes, .snes, .sms, .32x, and .bin (Genesis) roms
-Only Genesis roms run
-Decide to start from scratch with brand new 256gb mini SD
-Use Mr Fusion installation method
-Run update_all
-Install same ROMs in smaller 6-10 file chunks, this time via SMB
-This time, everything seems to be running fine
-Add .gba and .pce files
-All ROMs with the exception of .gba, .pce, and Genesis stop booting
-Delete all ROMs from the SD via SMB except Genesis
-Install only .gb and .gbc ROMs 1 at a time, testing each one individually as I go. All work fine.
-Install .gba ROMs 1 at a time, testing each one individually as I go, occasionally performing warm and cold reboots and testing .gb and .gbc ROMs at random to make sure they are still functioning. They are.
-Once all are installed, I physically switch the MiSTer off, wait 10 seconds, and turn it back on and test ROMs again. Everything appears to be working.
-Switch MiSTer off and go to bed.
-Wake up 10 hours later, and turn on MiSTer to test.
-Only .gba and Genesis ROMs are functional.
-Run update_all; no effect

I've tried searching for answers to this problem myself, but I came up with nada. I feel completely out of my depth. Anyone have any idea what I'm missing? Thanks in advance!
Yim

Re: ROMs Work On Install, But Stop Working Later

Unread post by Yim »

Maybe an intermittent issue with your SDRAM? It’s optional for genesis, GBA, and PC Engine cores, so if they’re working but not other stuff that’s where I’d look. Odd that other things are working some of the time, though. Have you tried the SDRAM test core?
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Sounds like an SD card issue maybe. Can you try another just to test? I know the 256 is new, but unfortunately counterfeit SD cards are not uncommon.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

You should also make sure the sdcard is formated with EXFAT and NOT NTFS.
Because NTFS will most likely cause problems sooner or later!
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

>Only Genesis roms run

That really makes me wonder if something's not quite right with the SDRAM. Try running the memtest utility for a few hours and see what it shows you. That should already be on your SD card. The numbers will be completely opaque, so consult the project page on how to read them:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer
GBJ

Unread post by GBJ »

Hi all, thank you for all your responses and apologies for the delay in mine. Work has been a bit nutso these past few days, leaving little time for this project. I'm running the memtest utility now, I will follow up at a later time with the results.

I have another brand new 256gb SD card bought from Target, so if the SDRAM checks out, I'll start over on that one again and triple check it's EXFAT formatted.
GBJ

Unread post by GBJ »

Malor wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:36 pm >Only Genesis roms run

That really makes me wonder if something's not quite right with the SDRAM. Try running the memtest utility for a few hours and see what it shows you. That should already be on your SD card. The numbers will be completely opaque, so consult the project page on how to read them:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MemTest_MiSTer
Okay, maybe I don't need to run this test too long at all. According to this diagram that you have so helpfully directed me to, no memory board is detected (memory module size "0"). Not sure what my next step is, aside from cracking open the shell and checking that everything is connected properly? Continuing to run memtest, just in case.
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

GBJ wrote:
Okay, maybe I don't need to run this test too long at all. According to this diagram that you have so helpfully directed me to, no memory board is detected (memory module size "0"). Not sure what my next step is, aside from cracking open the shell and checking that everything is connected properly? Continuing to run memtest, just in case.
Probably got smacked in shipping or otherwise came a bit unseated. I'd go ahead and check.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

You might have plugged it in off by one. I did that with my first SDRAM board, and killed it.

Or it might be in the wrong connector, which I did first. Then I moved it to the right connector, but off-by-one, and that's what wrecked it. I felt so stupid, because I was.

If you have SDRAM plugged in, you should get a little symbol in the Mister title bar, just after the word Mister, when it first boots. You'll see a little chip icon (which means it has RAM), and then a little network icon about 15 seconds later if that's working, and then the time about ten seconds after that, as it sets itself from the Internet.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Did you use the contact form and contact misteraddons yet? If you have SDRAM installed and it's not detecting SDRAM, it's best to check with him first just in case, rather than go banging about inside the case.
birdybro~
GBJ

Unread post by GBJ »

aberu wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:50 pm Did you use the contact form and contact misteraddons yet? If you have SDRAM installed and it's not detecting SDRAM, it's best to check with him first just in case, rather than go banging about inside the case.
My apologies for catching this response a bit too late. Unfortunately however, I already had to do a bit of "banging about" in there when I first started using it. When initially attempting to insert the 256gb SD card, it actually slipped between the board and the casing and I had to remove a side panel to get it out.

I did just remove the casing entirely and put it back together again very carefully, and voila, all ROMs seem to be working fine again. Perhaps PistolsAtDawn was correct and it had just become a bit unseated; I don't have a better explanation at this time. Hopefully this issue is solved more or less permanently, but I will follow up if anything happens.

Thank you everyone for your help and all of your suggestions!
GBJ

Unread post by GBJ »

A further update: I turned on the MiSTer this morning and, of course, the same issues came up. It was clear it wasn't detecting the SRAM as the chip icon on the main menu was not filled in (thank you Malor for that helpful tip.)

I turned it off, disconnected the power supply from the MiSTer, plugged it back in, turned it on, and wouldn't you know it, the issues cleared up again.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here? I seem to have figured out the workaround, but if this is a symptom of a larger issue I want to make sure I take care of it, pronto.

Thanks again!
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Contact cleaner on the ram and ram socket. Just dont kill the chip with static
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I think you might have a slightly dodgy RAM board. If you keep having trouble, you might contact the seller you bought it from, and ask for help.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I would do what I originally suggested and use the contact form on misteraddons.com.
birdybro~
GBJ

Unread post by GBJ »

aberu wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 pm I would do what I originally suggested and use the contact form on misteraddons.com.
Will do, thank you.