Olympus OEM203 PAL/NTSC Geometry Settings Interfere

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
raleigh

Olympus OEM203 PAL/NTSC Geometry Settings Interfere

Unread post by raleigh »

Hi all. My Commodore monitor just broke down which I had used for all pal content. I have used my pvm for ntsc content but now that I adjusted pal geometry in pvm's service menu, it messed up my ntsc geometry settings. It seems that there are several settings that are shared for both pal and ntsc formats. Is there a way around this or do I have to make separate settings for pal and ntsc for rgb-a and rgb-b outputs which means in practice I have to buy a second video cable if I don't want to switch cable constantly behind the monitor? :D Thanks!
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Olympus OEM203 PAL/NTSC Geometry Settings Interfere

Unread post by akeley »

There's no way to adjust geometry from MiSTer (outside of some arcade cores which have positioning controls). This will always be on the display side, since in most cases MiSTer outputs native signal, same as real hardware. Maybe you could try with modelines but it'd be a very deep rabbit hole.

Personally, I don't really bother tweaking anything past initial setup for NTSC, because PAL platforms mostly used borders anyway and their active areas are sized properly as is. The only really problematic core is Amiga, which is shifted horizontally (because it's the same on real one.)
raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Ah yes, I have made the settings in pvm menu because I'm using analog out. I'm using Amiga and C64 cores slot so that is why I'd like a solution.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

C64 looks fine on my setup, which is the same as yours. I also adjusted the horizontal shift so it's a compromise for Amiga and other cores. It's not perfect but doesn't bother me that much at the moment. My consumer Trinitrons are actually better at this because they have RGB centring in normal menu.

If you really want it sorted then there is no other solution I know of but to get another cable and use Direct Video + another display / inputs on your PVM, or write some modelines for these specific cores.
raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Allright, maybe I'll buy another cable at some point. Thanks for the help!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

If it's only positioning you want sorted then there are also these cheap Extrons (RGB192, I think) which handle the horizontal shift or some dedicated devices on Ali which handle both. Though I'm not sure how well the latter work, there was a thread about it somewhere...
raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Hmm. It seems that rgb a and rgb b settings both change simultaneously, so they have identical settings. So no use to get second cable? Pity.