Crazy Otto core?

SirScotty

Crazy Otto core?

Unread post by SirScotty »

Any chance someone can do the 4 or 5 versions of Crazy Otto that is in HB Mame? I wish I had the time, and I would learn how to do it myself, but sadly real life gets in the way. It is amazing what this thing can do, but I would LOVE to see Crazy Otto (Otto Project) from HB MAME.
shertz

Re: Crazy Otto core?

Unread post by shertz »

Me too!!
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I think that MRAs would work, no need for new cores.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

I think it could be the case.
An old YT video of NML32 shows it running in 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfymxIuCHNU
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

All the Crazy Otto versions out there are fan-made projects, not official leaks of the rom. As far as I know, no known official GCC rom has ever been dumped, so what we have in MAME is a fan-made approximation, not the actual code.
Personally, I would love to get an official leak of the actual rom, because it's a missing piece of arcade history that, to this day, only exists with GCC coders.
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

What is the history of Crazy Otto and what is so special about it? Never heard of it and it looks to me like just Ms. Pac Man with different sprites when I do a YT search...?

Thank you!
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:32 pm What is the history of Crazy Otto and what is so special about it? Never heard of it and it looks to me like just Ms. Pac Man with different sprites when I do a YT search...?

Thank you!
Crazy Otto is the original hack that GCC developed. After they won their lawsuit with Atari, they called Namco America and told/warned them about the release. Instead of fighting GCC, they licensed it instead and asked them to make changes to the hack, which ultimately resulted in Ms. Pac-Man.

So essentially, Crazy Otto will just be an earlier/prototype version of Ms. Pac-Man.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MRA-Alt ... er/pull/36

Your wish is my command.

EDIT: I only did one of them (the newest version) because I don't have a whole lot of motivation to do 5 different homebrews, but this should easily serve as a template for someone wanting to do the other ones.
birdybro~
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:40 pm As far as I know, no known official GCC rom has ever been dumped.
Only 3 PCB's were ever converted before it got changed to Ms Pacman, so chances of getting it that way are low.

however one of the programmers has a copy of the development disk so that is knocking around and does have sufficient code to create a working version of the game. (and an incomplete copy of the graphics, but enough to make it work)
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

macro wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:04 pm
Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:40 pm As far as I know, no known official GCC rom has ever been dumped.
Only 3 PCB's were ever converted before it got changed to Ms Pacman, so chances of getting it that way are low.

however one of the programmers has a copy of the development disk so that is knocking around and does have sufficient code to create a working version of the game. (and an incomplete copy of the graphics, but enough to make it work)
That is interesting. Steve Golson, one of the original GCC devs, set up a prototype of the original circuit board in 2012 at the California Extreme Arcade & Pinball Expo. I believe people were allowed to play it, that is how someone made a fan-made version of Otto, by studying mobile phone footage he took of him playing it. It would be a real shame if Steve's board went the way of the dodo, unless he's still got original code, or even dumped the board himself. Without these dumps we wouldn't have had Atari's Akka Arrh, for example, which is now playable in MAME.
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:28 pm That is interesting. Steve Golson, one of the original GCC devs
And that is the guy with the disk. he has the rom images on modern stuff, so they should be safe at least.

He also submitted a driver for Mame (back in 2009) with variations in, but since the roms were not available, it never went in.

+GAME( 1981, otto1012, 0, otto1012, mspacman, 0, ROT90, "General Computer", "Crazy Otto (prototype of 12 Oct 1981)", GAME_SUPPORTS_SAVE )
+GAME( 1981, otto1020, otto1012, otto1012, mspacman, 0, ROT90, "General Computer", "Crazy Otto (prototype of ~20 Oct 1981)", GAME_SUPPORTS_SAVE )
+GAME( 1981, otto1029, otto1012, otto1012, mspacman, otto1029, ROT90, "General Computer", "Crazy Otto (prototype of 29 Oct 1981)", GAME_SUPPORTS_SAVE )
+GAME( 1981, sp4n1029, otto1012, otto1012, mspacman, otto1029, ROT90, "General Computer", "Super Pac-Man (prototype of 29 Oct 1981 with Crazy Otto monsters)", GAME_SUPPORTS_SAVE )
+GAME( 1981, sp4o1029, otto1012, otto1012, mspacman, otto1029, ROT90, "General Computer", "Super Pac-Man (prototype of 29 Oct 1981 with Pac-Man monsters)", GAME_SUPPORTS_SAVE )

so you need to get him to release the roms!
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee