IREM M72 & M84 Core (R-Type, R-Type II, Image Fight, Ninja Spirit, Gallop : Armed Police Unit)

MadDog

Re: IREM M72 & M84 Core (R-Type, R-Type II, Image Fight, Ninja Spirit, Gallop : Armed Police Unit)

Unread post by MadDog »

Image Fight and Ninja Spirit were added! :D

Commit here:
https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m7 ... 475c170728

Grab the latest releases here (and update your old MRAs):
https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m7 ... n/releases

Ninja Spirit (Japan) requires a tinker to the MRA if using non-merged MAME roms. You'll need to grab the 'Ninja Spirit (World)' and 'Saigo no Nindou (Japan)' MAME roms, then Line 26 in the MRA needs to be changed to the following to work correctly:

Code: Select all

<rom index="0" zip="nspirit.zip|nspiritj.zip" md5="none">
I believe the line is supposed to indicate it's a merged rom like this (I think?):

Code: Select all

<rom index="0" zip="nspirit.zip" md5="none" type="merged">
I'm no MiSTer dev, so I'm not sure. Just here to game and hope this helps others who may be in a jam! 8-)
AmanoJacu

Re: IREM M72 & M84 Core (R-Type, R-Type II, Image Fight, Ninja Spirit, Gallop : Armed Police Unit)

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

I just got the mra's and rbf's from github, and update_all got the roms, I could play gallop, ninja spirit and image fight with no problem, no additional changes needed. Thanks!
Insert Disk Two

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

I am having an issue with the in-core 57/60hz option. When I enable these the game works and get a display, but there is like noise in the picture. I tried on 2 different panels. Issue very visible when enabling a crt shader like Trinitron or PVM.
fierman

Unread post by fierman »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:30 pm I am having an issue with the in-core 57/60hz option. When I enable these the game works and get a display, but there is like noise in the picture. I tried on 2 different panels. Issue very visible when enabling a crt shader like Trinitron or PVM.
Keep in mind that the core is still in an alpha status. Just wait it out. Core works fine on a crt with the original frequency (~55Hz)
Alarm

Unread post by Alarm »

Dragon Breed, Mr. Heli and Legend of Hero Tonma have been added to the core:

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Alarm wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:26 am Dragon Breed, Mr. Heli and Legend of Hero Tonma have been added to the core:

Great this means only Hammerin' Harry and X-Multiply are unsupported.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Alarm wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:26 am Dragon Breed, Mr. Heli and Legend of Hero Tonma have been added to the core:

Awesome! I can't wait to give it a go!
Vilhelm

Unread post by Vilhelm »

This is very cool! R-Type has been one of my favorites for a very long time. Some of these games have been on my want to play list for a long time as well. Thank you for your hard work and sharing!
Donpachi

Unread post by Donpachi »

I updated/dowloaded all the files with coin op. Only Ninja Spirit and Image Fight are not working, because CO is not downloading the roms.
What romset is used? Mame 0.246?
AdamM

Unread post by AdamM »

Officially released. Grabbed with update_all and played some R-Type this morning! Awesome stuff.

CMR

Unread post by CMR »

Thank you wickerwaka. I'm looking forward to playing Gallop and Dragon Breed on mister.
gusmoney

Unread post by gusmoney »

It doesn't seem like the organizer script is organizing the M72 stuff for me. I am curious if either there is a lag between its release and the script organizing the new materials or if there is a problem on my end. Anyone else seeing this issue?

On a positive note, how great is it to have these games? I played R-Type on the NAC today and it was AWESOME!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I mentioned several times on this forum that the Organizer script seems to be broken. I discovered it when the Sega 16 was released. It is not that the script does not find the mras as they show up in the alphabetized lists. They just don't show up in the various categories.
When I made these posts no one confirmed the problem, the only comment was I have to wait until the script is updated. This does not make sense: why would the script have to be updated when all the necessary information is contained in the mra itself?
I did not open an issue on Github as no one confirmed the problem.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

It's not a problem with the script. The organizer uses an external database and it probably hasn't been updated. I know someone was making improvements to the organizer database, so hopefully that'll be done soon.

And just to answer before the question is asked: it's a database because 1) parsing hundreds of xml files on the mister is slow. 2) MRAs are not consistent about which information they contain, so someone made a database that (theoretically) is more consistent.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for this information. It looks like this project has been totally abandoned as the database has not been updated in a very long time, before the release of Sega 16 as I saw the problem before that but did not pay any real attention.
To me it seems that this database maintenance is an impossible job: if one was to update it now he would have to figure out which mras have been added since the last update and next figure out what information to put in the database. Not a fun job.
May be parsing the mras would be a much better solution: having something instead of nothing would be better even if there are inconsistencies in the mras. The script could also flag these inconsistencies in order to be able to open issues on Github and slowly have coherent mras.
The script could also start with a question:
Are you sure you want to run this script as it will take several days to complete (Y/N)?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Many thanks @wickerwak for the latest release of your awesome core that now includes Hammerin' Harry as well! Super cool!

I have just tried Air Duel but I didn't manage to get any audio/music. Could somebody please confirm?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:
All sorted! I have re-downloaded manually the .mra.
NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Amazing release! I've been looking forward to this release for a long time!

Thank you for your contribution to the community!
TrevorKevorson

Unread post by TrevorKevorson »

Thanks for the awesome release. Really looking forward to giving Hammerin' Harry a try, I loved that game back in the day in the arcades and haven't played it in a long time. My best friend will also be wanting to get a Mister when he sees R-Type running on it :-D
CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

X-Multiply is incredible!! I have possibly ony seen this game once in my life, many years ago… pure joy to play this on a 15khz crt. All the cores look and play so great really. Thank you!!!
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

R-Type II is now supported by the core.

R-Type_II_flyer.jpg
R-Type_II_flyer.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 8070 times
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Wow, how great is that. :) Does update_all take care of the rom?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Beeble wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:40 am Wow, how great is that. :) Does update_all take care of the rom?
Yes, it does! :)
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

So, Just ran Update all and it downloaded the roms etc for R_Type II but when I try to load it I get a ic17.4f not found in the rtype2.zip - world or Japanese version..

Tried swapping it for different roms, but the same happens. Any pointers welcome?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I would delete the 2 mras, the rom, may be the rbf and run update all again.
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

jca wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:30 pm I would delete the 2 mras, the rom, may be the rbf and run update all again.
Yup, weird. Deleted the lot and re-ran. Works fine now. Thanks.
bob69

Unread post by bob69 »

Does anyone know if Major Title is supported yet?
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

bob69 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:56 pm Does anyone know if Major Title is supported yet?
Currently supported games are here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... rted-games
n4spd

Unread post by n4spd »

When will the DB15 user IO option be available? These games are so classic that I really would like to use SNAC input to play with.
kold666

Unread post by kold666 »

Today I sent to mame dumping union the undumped romset of Gallop running on M84 hardware

I put it here in annex if the core devs want to update the core
gallop_m84.zip
(697.37 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
wmd

Unread post by wmd »

About the Video Timing option in this core - does this only affect the vertical screen size / refresh rate or is game logic also affected by this setting? E.g. does the game run slightly slower at 50Hz compared to 55Hz?