Sony Trinitron KV-FX29TD

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
marcof

Sony Trinitron KV-FX29TD

Unread post by marcof »

Can someone help me to understand if the magnificent Sony Trinitron KV-FX29TD from 1988 (first 100Hz Sony CRT that I'm aware) is ok to play 240p content?
I'm thinking to get one for sale, but the 100Hz is scary...does anyone own one and can confirm its ok for 8bit and 16bit retro consoles??

Any information about this Sony TV model is highly appreciated. I can't kind much on the internet.

Cheers,

MF
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Sony Trinitron KV-FX29TD

Unread post by akeley »

If it's really 100Hz, and it can't be switched off in some menu, it will turn 240p into 480i.

The other thing is that Trinitron brand is not a guarantee that this set will be in good nick after +30 years. So unless the seller can conirm 100% that it is in tip top shape, and that it's not 100Hz, I'd look for some other, less risky model.
pedroTFP

Unread post by pedroTFP »

I had it back in the day, I kept it until 2002.
Mine was kinda of a finicky set, took it to the repair shop a few times. Always caps problem.
It was 100hz but not *really* 100hz: https://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot.c ... -1988.html
Lag @100hz on CRT anyway is like 8ms, so totally not important IMHO.

Other than that, I loved it but it did NOT work with lightguns.
If I knew what I know about CRTs today, I'd have kept it.
marcof

Unread post by marcof »

Hum, 8ms, not bad.

But with proper scanlines? No shimmering? 480i content should be great for sure.

I'm hesitant in to acquiring this TV set...If I acquire it I will post my opinion on the set.

Cheers.

MF
pedroTFP

Unread post by pedroTFP »

It's all about price and condition, imho.
Keep it mind it a MONSTER to move.
50€ is ok if in good condition, but no more imho. Get a better 29" if so.
If you like cubes, PVM 2130\2730\2950 would be the best choice (I love my 2730), but price is of course different.
marcof

Unread post by marcof »

Very hard to get PVMs in Portugal...I rarely find them...and prices are too high.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

No need for a PVM, just try to find a decent consumer set. They can look absolutely stunning too, and not only Trinitrons. I know it's getting harder by the year, but it still can be done. Set up alerts on your local classified sites, post your own Wanted ad, etc...
marcof

Unread post by marcof »

Hi own the following CRTs (Trinitrons only):
1) KV-A2943E - My Main CRT used with my main setup with original consoles (NES up to the PS2)
2) KV-E2511D - Repaired and stored (amazing picture AE-1A chassis)
3) KV-X2571D - Repaired and stored (AE-2B chassis)
4) KV-A2123E - This one looks like new....I don't even have the guts to open it an clean it, with afraid to mess something up. Looks like new and I used it to test things up connected to my MiSTer
5) GDM-F520 - My VGA Trinitron connected also to the MiSTer. Its a fantastic monitor, but to be honest I prefer the consumer grade TV picture....It's a more nostalgic feeling...I don't know...

But the GDM-F520 @ 120Hz on the MiSTer looks amazing, PVM look and I cannot find any kind of LAG....Maybe I need to play Battletoads on the NES core and compare it to the experience on the original hardware to notice any kind of lag...

So, my decision it will be to dismiss the idea of buying this KV-FX29TD CRT (to the joy of my wife)....hehehhehe...

I still have a KV-A2923E repairing (Hi-Black Trinitron Tube), so I feel, to be honest, I have all the CRTs I will ever need.

Hope they can last for the next 30 years so my son can understand the joy and pleasure of playing on a CRT!

Cheers,

MF