Connecting Dell LCD Monitor via VGA

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
neodasan

Connecting Dell LCD Monitor via VGA

Unread post by neodasan »

Hi,

I bought an OLD DELL 1907FPT (1280x1024, 60hz, only VGA and DVI supported) for my new MiSTer FPGA. I tried to connect MiSTer to this LCD monitor via VGA from the IO board and I checked many suggestions about .ini file. The result looked like this:

PXL_20220709_170828743.MP_2.jpg
PXL_20220709_170828743.MP_2.jpg (4.11 MiB) Viewed 1906 times

As you can see there are big black spaces on the bottom, up, and right sides. OSD doesn't allow me to adjust the screen position and size any better.

I wonder if there is any user who is using the same monitor or faced the similar problems previously? If you are using a similar dell monitor, how can you connect your MiSTer to the monitor? VGA is not a good idea for the connection probably?
virtuali

Re: Connecting Dell LCD Monitor via VGA

Unread post by virtuali »

I use a similar monitor, although it's the 2007fp that has 1600x1200 res, and I connect it with Mister with a HDMI->DVI cable. Works perfectly fine, very sharp, no display issues.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

By default you're going to get 240p analog out of the VGA side, which its up to the flat panel how they want to scale it. You can use vga_scaler=1 and an appropriate video mode to match the panel's native resolution, but best bet is to use HDMI->DVI for the cleanest signal.
neodasan

As mentioned in two posts above, I think the solution is to use hdmi->DVI if you are trying to use old LCD monitors. Thanks for your posts! Please do not use VGA to VGA.
catallo

Unread post by catallo »

DVI inputs on old LCDs add additional lag in my experience, so if that's more important to you than slightly better picture quality, I'd recommend using the VGA input with vga_scaler=1.
neodasan

catallo wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:51 pm DVI inputs on old LCDs add additional lag in my experience, so if that's more important to you than slightly better picture quality, I'd recommend using the VGA input with vga_scaler=1.

Thanks for your opinion. I already set vga_scaler=1 and video mode = 4 and the result looks like this picture.

The picture quality is fine but as you can see it has some problems with screen position and size. Could you please let me know some other VGA I/O settings with vga_scaler=1? or am I misunderstanding?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Some of these old flat-panels also do a poor job centering analog input, even when it's supposedly the panel's native resolution. The only control you have here is going to be on the monitor side rather than Mister.
neodasan

I purchased HDMI->DVI cable. all of the issues are resolved with this cable, and this display has no latency issue with DVI. I would like to utilize the analog VGA feature but DVI is the only solution. If you are using 2007FP or 1907FP, use HDMI->DVI.
Toaster

Unread post by Toaster »

Do you mind linking your hdmi to dvi cable? I picked up an Amazon basics one and I'm getting nothing from my 1908.

It may be the dvi port that is at fault but it's easier for me to check another cable that to lug to monitor to my pc.

mapf

Unread post by mapf »

If you get no picture, check if you set DVI mode correctly:

Code: Select all

; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.
dvi_mode=1

Also double check that the video_mode is correct.

Toaster

Unread post by Toaster »

mapf wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:23 am

If you get no picture, check if you set DVI mode correctly:

Code: Select all

; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.
dvi_mode=1

Also double check that the video_mode is correct.

Had dvi_mode=1 set and changed resolution to the native resolution of the monitor but no good. I've got a new cable to try out today.