8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter 2

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
CMR

8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter 2

Unread post by CMR »

I'm just wondering if anyone has tested this version yet. It has compatibility with newer xbox controllers and bluetooth 4.0 support, so I think the hardware might be a little different than the orange and gray ones. I just wanted to see if someone could confirm that it works with mister before dropping $20 on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M8CVMYF
AngelicLiver

Re: 8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter 2

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

I have a collection of these adapters; the OG, the PS1 Classic version and the recent 2. They all work identically with a similar amount of variable lag (generally around a frame).

I've not had time to test the latest release and there are no result on here but yes, they do work.
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

USB Wireless Adapter 2 FAQ

Note: Xbox Bluetooth controllers on the latest firmware released in Sep, 2021 are NOT supported any longer, due to their bluetooth change from Classic to BLE.

* Other products which are affected by this change also include: USB Adapter, USB Adapter for PS classic, NES Receiver, SNES / SFC Receiver, Classic Receiver & MD Receiver.

https://support.8bitdo.com/faq/wireless ... ter-2.html
AngelicLiver

MorkMikael wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:49 pm USB Wireless Adapter 2 FAQ

Note: Xbox Bluetooth controllers on the latest firmware released in Sep, 2021 are NOT supported any longer, due to their bluetooth change from Classic to BLE.

* Other products which are affected by this change also include: USB Adapter, USB Adapter for PS classic, NES Receiver, SNES / SFC Receiver, Classic Receiver & MD Receiver.

Oof, yeah I don't use Xbox controllers with them but that sucks. I absolutely loathe the d-pad on Xbox controllers (including the latest revision) anyway.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Just use a bluetooth 5.0 adapter and a controller that supports x-input over bluetooth. These adapters kinda suck usually because they replace the vendorID and ProductID with one in the adapter itself (hence screwing up compatibility with MiSTer), and their lag results generally are not great when compared to a cheap bluetooth 4.x/5.0 adapter.
birdybro~
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really interested in it for the xbox compatibility since I don't own one of those controllers. I just thought it might be a nice one to try since it's so compatible with so much stuff. I'm actually looking for a good dongle to use with my Dual Shock 3 controller (CECHZC2U). Is there one any of you can recommend for it?
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

CMR wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:48 am Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really interested in it for the xbox compatibility since I don't own one of those controllers. I just thought it might be a nice one to try since it's so compatible with so much stuff. I'm actually looking for a good dongle to use with my Dual Shock 3 controller (CECHZC2U). Is there one any of you can recommend for it?

I use the V2 with my misterFPGA and a PS dual sense controller, works great.
spikemorrissey

Unread post by spikemorrissey »

Bunker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:54 am
CMR wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:48 am Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really interested in it for the xbox compatibility since I don't own one of those controllers. I just thought it might be a nice one to try since it's so compatible with so much stuff. I'm actually looking for a good dongle to use with my Dual Shock 3 controller (CECHZC2U). Is there one any of you can recommend for it?

Hi Bunker,

How did you get this to work please? I run the mister bluetooth_pair.sh and it just comes up with 'bluetooth adapter not found'
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

spikemorrissey wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:04 pm

Hi Bunker,

How did you get this to work please? I run the mister bluetooth_pair.sh and it just comes up with 'bluetooth adapter not found'
have you tried holding the pair button on the receiver and controller while running the script?
AngelicLiver

These 8bitdo Bluetooth adapters do not work like conventional bluetooth adapters, the adapter themselves handles all the pairing and present the adapter itself to the operating systems as a controller. This is why they identify themselves with the same productID/vendorID regardless of controller paired.

Have a read of 8bitdo's manual, it will explain how to pair controllers.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

AngelicLiver wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:23 pm
MorkMikael wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:49 pm USB Wireless Adapter 2 FAQ

Oof, yeah I don't use Xbox controllers with them but that sucks. I absolutely loathe the d-pad on Xbox controllers (including the latest revision) anyway.
Yes the updated BLE Xbox Controllers only work with the new V2 Adapter. And yes it works perfectly with the Mister.
spikemorrissey

Bunker wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:11 am

Hi Bunker,

have you tried holding the pair button on the receiver and controller while running the script?
Thank you for the reply - I did try that but it sadly still didn't work - the dualsense 5 is connected via usb as is the 8bit do and the controller works in wired mode and the 8bitdo has a flashing light on it but it says it cant find the bluetooth adapter as the picture shows
Attachments
mister.jpg
mister.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 4558 times
spikemorrissey

AngelicLiver wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:50 am These 8bitdo Bluetooth adapters do not work like conventional bluetooth adapters, the adapter themselves handles all the pairing and present the adapter itself to the operating systems as a controller. This is why they identify themselves with the same productID/vendorID regardless of controller paired.

Have a read of 8bitdo's manual, it will explain how to pair controllers.
Thank you for the reply - sadly it just doesn't see the bluetooth adapter when the script is run
spikemorrissey

spikemorrissey wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:11 am
Bunker wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:11 am

Hi Bunker,

Thank you for the reply - I did try that but it sadly still didn't work - the dualsense 5 is connected via usb as is the 8bit do and the controller works in wired mode and the 8bitdo has a flashing light on it but it says it cant find the bluetooth adapter as the picture shows. Also when I type in hcitool dev it doesnt show any devices
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

you dont connect your 8bitdo usb adaptor 2 by using bluetooth_pair.sh to the mister it connects by usb to the mister. thats only for standard usb adaptors not the 8bito wireless usb adaptor 2.there is a reason why the 8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter 2 has a paring bottom on it. you have literally no bluetooth adaptor on your mister thats way you get that error.and thats why normal bluetooth adaptors do not have a paring bottom on it they uses bluetooth_pair.sh to connect.

1. Connect the USB Wireless Adapter 2 to your Mister.
2. Press pair button on the USB Wireless Adapter 2, LED starts to blink rapidly.
3. Press SYNC button on your 8bitdo controller for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode
4. LED becomes solid when connection is successful.
spikemorrissey

MorkMikael wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:44 pm you dont connect your 8bitdo usb adaptor 2 by using bluetooth_pair.sh to the mister it connects by usb to the mister. thats only for standard usb adaptors not the 8bito wireless usb adaptor 2.there is a reason why the 8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter 2 has a paring bottom on it. you have literally no bluetooth adaptor on your mister thats way you get that error.and thats why normal bluetooth adaptors do not have a paring bottom on it they uses bluetooth_pair.sh to connect.

1. Connect the USB Wireless Adapter 2 to your Mister.
2. Press pair button on the USB Wireless Adapter 2, LED starts to blink rapidly.
3. Press SYNC button on your 8bitdo controller for 3 seconds to enter its pairing mode
4. LED becomes solid when connection is successful.
Thank you so much for the reply and the information.
The controller I am using is the ps5 dualsense. I tried the steps you described with that but it didn't pair sadly
Lezzer

Unread post by Lezzer »

For step 3 above try this:
To enable the DualSense controller to be paired, put it in pairing mode. To do this, hold down the PlayStation logo button and the Create button at the same time. The PlayStation button is between the two analog sticks, while the Create button is at the top-left of the trackpad.

You’ll know the controller is in pairing mode when the light under the trackpad blinks blue rapidly, goes dark for a second, then blinks again.
spikemorrissey

Lezzer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:49 pm For step 3 above try this:
To enable the DualSense controller to be paired, put it in pairing mode. To do this, hold down the PlayStation logo button and the Create button at the same time. The PlayStation button is between the two analog sticks, while the Create button is at the top-left of the trackpad.

You’ll know the controller is in pairing mode when the light under the trackpad blinks blue rapidly, goes dark for a second, then blinks again.
Thank you so much.

The really strange thing was that I had seen that step before and had tried it but it didn't work but after I read your message, I tried it once more and this time it worked! Thank you!
Lezzer

Unread post by Lezzer »

Yeah it’s not a simple process. Unless you know what the PS5 controller lights mean and what they should be doing it is tricky.
narshe

Unread post by narshe »

I'm using this adapter with a PS5 controller and after some time, maybe 15-30 minutes, some buttons stop working. I have to unplug the adapter and plug it back in for it to start working properly again.