Daemonbite and Amiga Mouse

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
chunky_tesco

Daemonbite and Amiga Mouse

Unread post by chunky_tesco »

Does the Daemonbite adapter work with an original Amiga mouse or is it just joysticks and controllers?
limi
Top Contributor

Re: Daemonbite and Amiga Mouse

Unread post by limi »

I don’t think there’s any way to map a DE9 mouse to something that isn’t defined as a joystick. I just tested it on my DaemonBite, and it just ends up as the P2 joystick.
ArcadeTV

Unread post by ArcadeTV »

I use a "RetroAdapter" for almost every original controller and just built an Amiga mouse adapter.
https://github.com/rsn8887/RetroAdapterMod

Works like a charm. Connect these for Amiga mouse:

DB15 -> DB9 (Mouse input)
1,2,9,12 -> 8
3 -> 1
4 -> 3
5 -> 2
6 -> 4
7 -> 6
8 -> 7
10,11 -> n.c.
13 -> 9
14,15 -> n.c.

Leave Pin 5 of DB9 n.c.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

There was some interest in the Minimig forum for a SNAC Amiga mouse connection because of one game, Oil Imperium. Per a poster there, during one minigame, it polls the mouse on *every scanline* to determine movement. On a 200-line NTSC screen, that means 12,000 samples per second(!). This plays hell with, AFAIK, all existing emulators, so the mouse barely moves in that minigame, and players always fail.

Would the RetroAdapter have a prayer of keeping up, or is that going to be a SNAC-only thing?

I mean, 12000 samples per second is a crazy ask, I realize. It's only the weird and unique Amiga hardware that makes that kind of polling speed possible. But that kind of weirdness is the sort of thing that FPGA emulation is all about.
ArcadeTV

Unread post by ArcadeTV »

I can't really answer that, but the RetroAdapter is a general HID device, thus I think it's polled by the internal system of the MiSTer instead of whatever the Amiga does. Connecting the adapter via the given pinout it's recognized as a regular mouse. A wild guess would be, if Oil Imperium on MiSTer doesn't play well with a regular mouse then the RetroAdapter will not fix this behaviour.
To add more info to this: There's a 16MHz version of the FW in the repository, which is to be used when a 16MHz xtal is installed. Also afaik USB-polling of the system can be altered for faster rates, but I guess that would be the same for windows, linux, unix etc., I have no idea if this is a thing on the MiSTer platform.
chunky_tesco

Unread post by chunky_tesco »

So would oil imperium work properly on a MiST? Are the 2 DB9s on a MiST like SNAC on a MiSTer?

Also would Antonio Villena’s Mister Plus and his implementation of Enhanced SNAC with the Minimig DB9 core work as well?
antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

chunky_tesco wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:52 pm So would oil imperium work properly on a MiST? Are the 2 DB9s on a MiST like SNAC on a MiSTer?

Also would Antonio Villena’s Mister Plus and his implementation of Enhanced SNAC with the Minimig DB9 core work as well?
As I know the Minimig core has no SNAC support for mouse. In case of SNAC support, the DB9 port of the MiSTer with DB9 (SLIM, DRIVE, MINI, PLUS and IRONCLAD) has VCC on pin 5, so you can't connect directly to the port. You will need the DB9 splitter and select the switch to the inner part. The switch swaps pin 5 and 7 of DB9 port, so you will have VCC on pin 7 as required in Amiga mouses.
Quark999

Unread post by Quark999 »

I had originally posted about the broken mini game in Oil Imperium and so far I haven’t found an acceptable workaround. The various patches that appear to fix this on emulators don’t seem to help on Mister, and I got a bit lost as to whether SNAC for Minimig is possible at all - I seem to have read it needs a patched core? But given the previous comment, I’m not even sure what kind of adapter hardware I’d need. If someone could tell me I’d definitely go out and buy it, because Oil Imperium is at least two years of my childhood :)
ToothbrushThreepwood

Unread post by ToothbrushThreepwood »

Btw, how does a SNAC mouse on the minimig work in tandem with a USB mouse? Are the input merged, or separate? I’m thinking if playing two-mice 2-player games like Lemmings would be possible.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

From what people have been saying, Minimig may not have SNAC support. It comes from a different project, so that would have to have been added by someone on this side of the fence, and it doesn't sound like anyone has.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

I’m thinking if playing two-mice 2-player games like Lemmings would be possible.
Not possible at the moment, sadly. One of the few remaining missing features of the Minimig core.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

There are older builds with SNAC support actually, it was removed so the user port could be dedicated to MIDI I/O.
Quark999

Unread post by Quark999 »

Although beyond my capabilities could that be made configurable and added back in? Or is there a reason why it can only be either/or and needs a whole new core build?