Test Suite for DE10-Nano

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
aeberbach

Test Suite for DE10-Nano

Unread post by aeberbach »

Is there any test that might help to isolate a fully working board from a broken one?

Like a few others I have a board that can boot Linux just fine but never comes back from the reboot following Mr. Fusion's splash screen.

I connected the USB UART cable and was able to login through Putty. Looks like a fresh Mr. Fusion boots OK. Was able to login via console, run update.sh and see everything download and get unpacked with an ethernet cable attached. The really annoying thing is it looks like everything is up and running I just get no HDMI output (nothing at all connected) and no VGA output (I/O board 6.1 connected). Tried three different monitors - an Arcooda (used to work on this) a Dell UltraSharp 34 (HDMI only, no VGA), Thinkpad T22i.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: Test Suite for DE10-Nano

Unread post by Xbytez »

As far as I am aware no MiSTer project specific test suite exists, however the DE10-Nano manufacturer Terasic in a post on the forum, recommend the following should be undertaken on a new DE10-Nano to confirm all is functioning on the HPS and FPGA hardware of the main board.
Important notice: Before implementing your MiSTer project on DE10-Nano, please run the official user-acceptance testing provided by Terasic on the hardware. If you have any concern or question toward the quality of the kit received, please contact us immediately. We will consider the user has approved the quality of DE10-Nano once a homemade or other third-party daughter card is connected to the main board.
Before connect your DE10-Nano to any daughter card, please first follow \DE10-Nano_v.x.x.x_HWrevC_SystemCD\Manual\Getting_Started_Guide.pdf to make sure the HPS side and the FPGA hardware of the main board are fully functional. Only then are you ready to test your MiSTer project.
I would suggest following the setup in the DE10-Nano Getting Started Guide to check your hardware and see if this raises any issues present with your DE10-Nano board.

DE10-Nano_Getting_Started_Guide.pdf
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
aeberbach

Unread post by aeberbach »

Yep - can load the .sof files as described using Quartus. For the purpose of every test described in that PDF this nano is just fine. Only I can't make it work. One day I was playing arcade games, the next day it just didn't run on. Since then have tried different monitors, HDMI cables, VGA cables, power supplies, with or without any external hardware and all of the described switch settings.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

You're the second person I've seen complaining about this in the last few days. There was just an update to Mister a week or two ago, and I'm wondering if the new VRR support might be to blame.

Also, someone mentioned that the scaler chip is being overclocked, at least in some cases, which could be relevant.