misterfs.exe Too Big to Fit In Memory

wdatkinson

misterfs.exe Too Big to Fit In Memory

Unread post by wdatkinson »

Trying to find an easy way to get files into the ao486 core. I'm running the 22.03.26 version and after finally getting mister.exe into a vhd and getting it into a booted core, I was dismayed to find it would not run.

I've had anywhere from 566k-592k free, but no joy.

How much memory does this thing need?

I've looking through open issues on github, stf'd here and the goog. No joy. Also tried QEMM (I used to run that and DESQview back in the day). Also tried emm386 and a clean boot. No go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: misterfs.exe Too Big to Fit In Memory

Unread post by Malor »

I'm running the DOS from Win98 (I think 7.1), and misterfs will run there. However, I cannot use loadhigh... it seems to wig out if I try to do that. It will only run in conventional memory, and it takes about 7.2K or thereabouts.

It's also very sensitive about its arguments. As far as I can tell, you have to either give it a single lowercase letter for the drive to install itself as (eg, misterfs z) or use the /u argument to uninstall: misterfs /u.

I don't routinely load it, I just use it for quick transfers, and leave it off most of the time.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

using the very latest misterfs from the repo right? I've never had issues with it not running or needing a bunch of memory. Maybe it is getting corrupt when you transfer it into the vhd?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I was using MisterFS yesterday and downloaded it wrongly, ending up with some XML stuff and a 200kb file, instead of the proper 7kb file.

I also use LOADHIGH on MiSTerFS to have it use highmem instead of conventional. But pretty sure there should be enough RAM for it. Can you show a mem print?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Are you sure that loadhigh works? It refuses to run for me if I use loadhigh, just throws the standard error message.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Malor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:23 pm Are you sure that loadhigh works? It refuses to run for me if I use loadhigh, just throws the standard error message.
Yes, I double checked, it fits fine. Its only 7kb after all.

The line is:
LOADHIGH C:\MISTERFS.EXE Z

Afterwards you should be able to find MISTERFS as a module in high mem by using the command:
MEM /D /P
The P is to stop at each page, or you wont be able to see where it lists misterfs in high mem. For me it uses two memory areas, one is 4kb another is 3kb.