Outrun 128K How to Make It Work?

emuola

Outrun 128K How to Make It Work?

Unread post by emuola »

Hi,

setting p my mister and just transferred lots of games to the sd card. I then tried ZX Spectrum core and one of the famous (back then) 128k games, e.g. Outrun. For some reason I cannot get it to work, tried .sna. z80 and .tap. It always loads just fine, I can set the controls, but after trying to start the actual game, it drops to the "basic screen".

Is this a known feature or what? Other 128k games (modern ones from Zosya etc.), run just fine.

Any ideas?
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Outrun 128K How to Make It Work?

Unread post by akeley »

It's a multi load game, handling of which on this core warrants further investigating. I've had problems with it for some time.

You can grab the disk version (from Spectrumcomputing.co.uk, for example) and use it in the +3 mode, it works fine. Well, sort of...it's a slideshow. Changing core speed to 7Mhz makes it actually playable.
emuola

Re: Outrun 128K How to Make It Work?

Unread post by emuola »

akeley wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:04 pm It's a multi load game, handling of which on this core warrants further investigating. I've had problems with it for some time.

You can grab the disk version (from Spectrumcomputing.co.uk, for example) and use it in the +3 mode, it works fine. Well, sort of...it's a slideshow. Changing core speed to 7Mhz makes it actually playable.
Thank you 👍 Managed to laod the dsk files. Now I'm stuggling how to use those... If I Press F12 and select "Load disk *.TRD, IMG, DSK, MGT" and then select "Reset and apply" (or go straight back to basic) and type "cat", I get "Drive A: track 1, sector 0, no data - Retry, Ignore or Cancel".

How do I actually start the disk or boot the speccy with the disk already in?

Sorry, like I said, I'm a noob 🙈

*EDIT* Got it, just selected the Loader using +3. Works!