MAS Classic (American Style Real Arcade Joystick)

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
seastalker

MAS Classic (American Style Real Arcade Joystick)

Unread post by seastalker »

Saw the video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWFVAHd1Jk

I have followed this story for a while. I love the aspects of carrying on the torch and legacy of the family, and that some proceeds go TO the family, especially after reviewing their backstory that led to where this product is today. I think the look and style of the new MAS joystick is fantastic! Both styles if you want to go with the American only stick/button style or the NEO style that can apparently take Japanese parts. Seriously BEAUTIFUL design!

That said, I respectfully ask the sincere question: is it is a fair price for the product(s) offered?

Emotional aspects aside, my question is sincere having not purchased arcade sticks before other than an X-arcade 2-player (non trackball version). Do others feel $300 for an American-parts only edition and $400 for a version that accepts Japanese parts but NEITHER actually include the parts is a decent value? This may be totally on me, but I presumed these sticks would be fully assembled (or come with the stick and buttons) and not DIY kits requiring sourcing of sticks and buttons. I'm happy to eat my words...

Is wood, T-molding , and art alone worth the price of admission at $300 and $400?

I am a MORE THAN WILLING CONVERT, but just don't get it yet. I mean, they could ask $1500 or $20k and I'm sure someone would buy it, and I mean no disrespect to the team nor family. Can someone explain the value and costs associated to justify such a purchase that excludes the electronics over a DIY project or Hori alternative?

I do write this with wanting one and to support the family, but in my ignorance, I need more convincing the price matches the materials and labor costs involved.
Stupid Dufus

Re: MAS Classic (American Style Real Arcade Joystick)

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

Personally, I don't think so. I used one of the original MAS sticks back around 2001 or so, and it was nice. Friend's stick was complete with all parts and worked on two or three different consoles, and I'm pretty sure he paid less than $300/each per stick. Of course there is inflation and other things to factor in.

But for $300 I'd much rather get something off the shelf from Hori or some other company and use that. Can throw in a UFB board and get compatibility with lots of consoles as well. and it'll still be cheaper than the MAS.

And if you're looking at the $400 MAS Neo, then yeah... way too pricey for my tastes.
annette

Unread post by annette »

seastalker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:46 am I need more convincing the price matches the materials and labor costs involved.
I think you ask the impossible, in my eye very over priced.

They want $299 for a routed mdf laminate box with t-moulding and printed cp overlay, or am I missing something??
fierman

Unread post by fierman »

The buttons and stick look like standard Sanwa components to me, and since they don't mention anything about the controller board, I suspect that is arduino based. Nothing bad with that by itself - but yes indeed: you will be paying for the woodwork and finishing mostly. (and I suspect they want to have a return on their investment for the vinyl cutter and the cnc router asap)
Fair price? Doubtful.. Maybe.. But not something I would pay 300 for myself. DIY is much more fun.