Jaguar Controller Question

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
ZForceFFC

Jaguar Controller Question

Unread post by ZForceFFC »

On a recommendation on another forum, I picked up a Jaguar Controller and a USB Adaptor to use on the MISTer for the "keypad" systems (Intellivision, Coleco and Atari 5200) The system recognizes the setup for the most part, but when I tried to configure the keypad buttons on the core, it would not let me configure certain number buttons. I skipped over them and when trying out the games, it seemed as if the buttons in question had already been set to other functions. Has anyone tried a similar set up and know what i might be doing wrong, or how to properly configure these keys for general use?
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Jaguar Controller Question

Unread post by aberu »

It really depends on the adapter. I haven't tried one of those, but if the adapter uses DInput it might need special exception handling added in order for it to even work. Can you try and get the VendorID and ProductID from the adapter when you have it plugged in and provide it here? Here's the command you run from the terminal:

Code: Select all

lsusb
birdybro~
ZForceFFC

I don't know if this will help, but this is the adaptor in question

http://www.2600-daptor.com/Jaguar-daptor.htm
ZForceFFC

I did a bit of experimenting and found the following with trying to configure this on 3 different cores

Intellivision: Keys 7 and 9 are already set to side action buttons (Unable to configure)
Coleco: Key 7 cannot be configured
Atari 5200: Keys 6 8 and 9 cannot be configured

I'm guessing the way this is set up are that those number keys are somehow linked to the other buttons I am trying to program.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

The Jaguar "Pro" controllers (the 6- "Action" button ones with shoulder buttons) have some of the keypad keys mapped to the extra "action" buttons and should buttons so they are shared. So I suggest for the the cores that you need the keypad, don't map the shoulder buttons and the top 3 of the action buttons.
Shared Buttons:
Z = 7
Y = 8
X = 9
LShoulder = 4
RShoulder = 6
ZForceFFC

OK that was the problem I was having. I bought a replica pro controller from Atariage, so those shared buttons were tripping me up. Now I can configure all the buttons correctly. Now I just need to figure out why the dpad seems wonky, especially when trying to press "Up" I might look into one of the dpad enhancements I saw on Ebay.
AfterBurnett

Unread post by AfterBurnett »

ZForceFFC wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:28 pm OK that was the problem I was having. I bought a replica pro controller from Atariage, so those shared buttons were tripping me up. Now I can configure all the buttons correctly. Now I just need to figure out why the dpad seems wonky, especially when trying to press "Up" I might look into one of the dpad enhancements I saw on Ebay.
Wait, what? There are replica Jaguar pads?
Mirest

Unread post by Mirest »

AfterBurnett wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:52 am Wait, what? There are replica Jaguar pads?
Atari Jaguar Pro Controller (remade)
AfterBurnett

Unread post by AfterBurnett »

Mirest wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:51 pm
AfterBurnett wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:52 am Wait, what? There are replica Jaguar pads?
Atari Jaguar Pro Controller (remade)
Thanks! That looks really good. How is the d-pad though? The one on the original Jag par was awful. If this has a good d-pad it could almost be the perfect controller for MiSTer...
Mirest

Unread post by Mirest »

AfterBurnett wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:06 am

Thanks!

Welcome.

AfterBurnett wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:06 am

How is the d-pad though?

My brief experience with this shows that diagonals are unreliable. For example, when pressing diagonally down and to the right to crouch and face right in a precision platformer, the character onscreen may get up from the crouch and walk a step or two to the right.