Tekken 3 (USA) - Game Freeze During Credits and Theater Disk Swap

Haflip

Tekken 3 (USA) - Game Freeze During Credits and Theater Disk Swap

Unread post by Haflip »

Tekken 3 has a core-breaking freeze bug that happens after completing the Arcade ladder in Tekken 3. Just after the familiar, "The King of Iron Fist Tournament. Enter the Tekken," line, the game freezes on a black screen. This has happened every time I've tested it, with pretty much every setting I could think of. This probably needs a fix, but the current workaround is that the credits can be skipped if the player presses start before the voice line ends. To replicate, select Arcade, select Hwoarang, then press O and X for a while until the ending plays. Or you could load the savestate I've attached.

Next up is not really a bug, but a weird quirk that's worth bringing up. Once the player has beaten the Arcade mode with every character, they unlock a Theater mode which allows the player to view each ending in the game. The Theater mode also comes with a special bonus feature: Insert the disc from either Tekken or Tekken 2 to see the a gallery of that game's endings instead, all of which are unlocked regardless of those games' saves. This works in the core, but only if Tekken 1, 2, and 3 are all thrown into the same folder together. It's a bit clunky. I was hoping to be able to keep them sorted as separate games and still be able to switch discs without a reset. Will that be possible some day?

Lastly, I'm going to try to dig into my collection and submit reports whenever I can, but I'm unfamiliar with the process here. Is this where should I be making my bug reports? Is github preferred, or is it better to let a core developer verify a bug first and write in the report themself? I just don't want to overreach if filling in my own reports isn't welcome or something.
Attachments
Tekken 3 (USA) ending savestate for testing.zip
Tekken 3 savestate, for testing ending/credits
(2 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: Tekken 3 (USA) - Game Freeze During Credits and Theater Disk Swap

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

You can put a file "noreset.txt" in the same folder, so you can load different CDs.

More info here: https://vampier.net/PSX/

For the hang i can take a look later. It's suspisous, because the game was tested a lot and nobody told before. Maybe it broke recently.

Feel free to enter such bugs in github. If you attach a helpful savestate to a good description, that is already great.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The game used to freeze like that, after completing a character in arcade mode, in an early version of the core. It had been working fine since then.
gperezse82

Unread post by gperezse82 »

You might have a bad bin/cue rip. I had the same problem till I used redump files.
Haflip

Unread post by Haflip »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:10 am You can put a file "noreset.txt" in the same folder, so you can load different CDs.

More info here: https://vampier.net/PSX/

For the hang i can take a look later. It's suspisous, because the game was tested a lot and nobody told before. Maybe it broke recently.

Feel free to enter such bugs in github. If you attach a helpful savestate to a good description, that is already great.
Thanks for the info, I don't know how I didn't know about the noreset.txt. And yeah, I'll also be sure to be as clear and helpful as possible when making my reports.

Ok so you were right to be suspicious. After doing some more testing, it looks like it has something to do with the memory card saves. I just did a couple playthroughs on new saves and the credits play just fine. Was there a save corruption issue that got fixed in a previous update? These saves started as a fresh card in the stable core about when it came out. Not sure when or how it got corrupted but since my old save is no good, I'll be unlocking characters all over again so I'll let you know if it gets corrupted/doesn't play credits again.

Thanks for the help, everyone
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

There have been fixes to the memcards about 1-2 months ago, i can't remember exactly when.

There is also still a rare bug that when loading a game, the automapped memcard will not get loaded, but you get random garbage instead.
I could not yet identify the reason for this, but you usually notice it ingame as the game cannot read any data from the card and you can fix it by selecting the same card again in the OSD....