Current Method for ROM Hacks

mef

Current Method for ROM Hacks

Unread post by mef »

New to MiSTer and have set up using update-all. I'm trying to figure out how to apply alternate-version rom hacks, but the examples I find are either no longer present, or describe outdated setups.

To install, for example, speed-up Ms. Pacman or Pac-mortem Ms. Pacman or anything similar, what is the current method please?

- Is there a repository for downloading roms?
- How to set up the mra and rbf files, etc.?

Many thanks.
Pitou

Re: Current Method for ROM Hacks

Unread post by Pitou »

Hello,

Basically if you did execute the update script, all the files structure is in place.
All you have to do is put your roms in the /media/fat/games/<machine> directory.
So if you have hacked roms, just put them there as well.
You can do it via sftp or just put your microSD card in your PC and copy the rom files.

Of course, you have to find the rom files by yourself.

Pitou!
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Arcade hacks may or may not work. They may use diffrent memory maps in which case they wont work. Its not just a case of dumping a rom in a directory and it magically working.
Pitou

Unread post by Pitou »

Yes you're right, I agree. I forget to mention *if* the hardware is identical and the rom knows how to talk to that hardware.

Thanks for pointing out

Pitou!
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I guess it boils down to copying the MRA of the original to the clone, replacing the <rom> lines with suitable values, and placing the ROMs in the _Arcade/mame/ folder.

I have not used hbmame so I don't know how that works.
mef

Unread post by mef »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:11 pm I guess it boils down to copying the MRA of the original to the clone, replacing the <rom> lines with suitable values, and placing the ROMs in the _Arcade/mame/ folder.

I have not used hbmame so I don't know how that works.
Thanks. I will try this. (1) Make a duplicate of the relevant existing/working MRA; (2) Edit the <rom> lines appropriately; and (3) ensure both (1) and (2) are in their proper locations. Am I missing anything?