Steel Ranger : Saving Issues

angelotax

Steel Ranger : Saving Issues

Unread post by angelotax »

Hi all,
Having tried alot of stuff, cannot still get the game to save.
  • Both .crt and .d64 tested
  • All C64 bioses including Jiffy,
  • empty disks d64 G64 D81 mounted on ,8 ,9
  • tried all the options in core

Basically the .crt seems to get the game saved on the empty slot, but if i reset, the save is gone
Using the D.64 if i try to save, the game freezes completely

the autosave feature on my device is also off/unsupported for the core, is that happening to you?
This is also a fresh Mister SD card build, my older one was too old.
Did any of you have any luck saving for this game on Mister ?
Any help is appreciated.
fierman

Re: Steel Ranger : Saving Issues

Unread post by fierman »

The behaviour for easyflash crt images is expected - you need to save the crt state from within the osd menu to make saves permanent.

As for the .d64 saving issue: did you format the diskimage first?

Also, where did you find an easyflash release for this game? it was never done in ef format I think
angelotax

.crt stands for cartridge. Ol’c64 could ost cartridges in its back port. It has nothing to do with Ez Flash. Maybe that card can only read Cartriges format.
Yes D.64 is writeable as i used basic to write and save little programs in it.

Steel Ranger is available in digital purchase as Cartridge and disk format from Psytronik website.

I only use Mister, no flash carts.
Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

It's not EZ Flash. Fierman means EasyFlash, which is a flashable Cartridge for the real C64. Steel Ranger (digital purchase) is indeed a .crt image in EasyFlash format that can save the game inside the .crt.
angelotax

Retro-Nerd wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:24 pm It's not EZ Flash. Fierman means EasyFlash,
Same .crt is catridge. And it’s original C64 format.
Of course these Flash cards can run .crt format as they Go in the original C64 expansion slot as original cartidges did.

There is not an Easy Flash format in existance, it is still a C64 format.
angelotax

So a little update: what i had to do in order to make the game save and circumvent the issue; still i’m searching for alternative solutions.

Using DIRMASTER on Windows i copied the entire content of the .D64 Steel Ranger disk (wich had 0blocks free) to an empty .D81 that i renamed Steel Ranger ( name doesnt matter ) . Now the disk has more Than 2000 blocks and it can save.

I wish this core had an osd save feature or that Psytronik (or other devs)could release games also in D81 format, so if a save feature is implemented, those with no OSD features can still save without going through this massive pain in the back.
At the moment this is all i have.
Please advise if you think there is a way to save directly to other drives in Steel Ranger other than on its self disk or cart.
Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Of course there is an EasyFlash CRT format. There are tons of different CRT formats for the C64. 8KB, 16kB, Ocean, MagicDesk, Domark etc. You might want to inform yourself about this, before you ask further questions how it's supposed to work.
Also, where did you find an easyflash release for this game? it was never done in ef format I think
The digital download package was updated at some point, they added an EasyFlash version too.
angelotax

I was about to quote you and reply.
Found out about the C64:32 .crt format updated for easy flash.
Good stuff ,i didn’t know.
Retro-Nerd wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 pm You might want to inform yourself about this, before you ask further questions how it's supposed to work.
oh, did't notice.
I never asked how the .crt is supposed to work, it is not rocket science, it is not the point of the topic.
I asked how to handle it in Mister as it cannot save on itself here and Neither original cart formats can without OSD, so it was totally expected.
Infact i asked specifically for the autosave feature in OSD (that it's not implemented in this core apparently).
the .d64 that you download uses the same system, it's full, and i did not find the way to make it save on other drives in Mister, apparently.
This renders the game as you download it from the store unplayable in Mister.
Again, if someone has alternative solutions, please let me know.
As said above, the only strategy i've found to play the game on Mister is to use a "larger disk".
angelotax wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:17 pm Using DIRMASTER on Windows i copied the entire content of the .D64 Steel Ranger disk (wich had 0blocks free) to an empty .D81 that i renamed Steel Ranger ( name doesnt matter ) . Now the disk has more Than 2000 blocks and it can save.

I wish this core had an osd save feature or that Psytronik (or other devs)could release games also in D81 format, so if a save feature is implemented, those with no OSD features can still save without going through this massive pain in the back.

Please advise if you think there is a way to save directly to other drives in Steel Ranger other than on its self disk or cart.
fierman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:03 pm The behaviour for easyflash crt images is expected - you need to save the crt state from within the osd menu to make saves permanent.

As for the .d64 saving issue: did you format the diskimage first?

Sorry for the above posts about the format, i was still in the 80's apparently lol.
Go figure the C64 cartridges have different updated formats nowdays.

The whole point of the post though was to understand if there is a way to make this game save on other drives on Mister other than his self media.
This, as said above, is also a problem i was unable to circumvent for the disk format, not only for the .crt