Can Somebody Talk Me Through Guncon Setup Please?

RascalUK

Can Somebody Talk Me Through Guncon Setup Please?

Unread post by RascalUK »

Hey. So I originally plugged in my Guncon 2 months ago when I was trying the core on a 14" portable CRT and from memory it worked fine although I never fine tuned it. I have since moved my set-up to a bigger Sony Trinitron and having probs a) remembering how to do it and b) getting anything to work with the core.

So I have my Guncon in the USB and connected to the Composite in (yellow) on the Sony.

From the Mister Main Menu I can press F10 to bring up the gun calibration and it asks me to point to the edge of the screen and press the trigger. Now my trigger does nothing here but B on the gun does so I assume that's just me messing the setup up. So Press B and the Bottom one starts flashing, so I point to bottom edge etc, then left and then right and it returns me to main menu.

Load up the PSX core and then say Point Break and get to the game's calibration there and I absolutely cannot hit the target, rarely even the screen. Occasionally I see a hit on the screen but not all the time.

If I put the crosshair on via the menu I see that in the centre but in no way does it move where I am pointing?

Any advice would be wonderful..

Ta
chopperthedog

Re: Can Somebody Talk Me Through Guncon Setup Please?

Unread post by chopperthedog »

Think you're skipping the in core calibration. The read me has calibration steps.

https://github.com/NolanNicholson/GunCon2-MiSTer

good day.

RascalUK

Ooh cheers, will check it out.
RascalUK

Hmm yeah it doesn't work. I can do the Calibration in core with the test suite and get all the numbers at the screen edges to change as I move the gun, but as soon as I finish the crosshairs stays in the centre and nothing :(
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

So I have my Guncon in the USB and connected to the Composite in (yellow) on the Sony.
Are you sure you are getting csync OUT of the Sony TV? You may need to tap the composite signal from the input. Assuming you are using RGB SCART you can try one of these adapters. You may need a male-female RCA cable to extend the cable to the Guncon 2.
RascalUK

Yeah I think it's going to be something like that cos it worked on the other CRT out of the port on the front I have a suspicion that Sony isn't doing that. It's sensing the gun movement as I can do the OSB calibration but nothing in games...
RascalUK

I have that adapter somewhere too... now where would it be.....
RascalUK

Hmmm doesn't work with the RGB SCART adapter either. Same result. Can do the Calibration but as soon as you get in-game the crosshair doesn't move. Wonder if it's the gun. They are pretty basic though.
zoopster

Unread post by zoopster »

It took me ages to get it working. I'm using RGB via component into a BVM montior and switched from tapping the green signal input to the h/v sync input. I'll see if I can document the steps I took to get it working tomorrow. I even bought the Guncon 3 out of frustration at one point!
naylord

Unread post by naylord »

If you get the snac adapter it has a yellow composite terminal outputting the sync. You can use this to strip a sync signal for either a guncon 1 used on the same snac adapter or even a guncon 2.