Does a Metal Enclosure Need to Be Grounded?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
JayRockets

Does a Metal Enclosure Need to Be Grounded?

Unread post by JayRockets »

is this something I need to look out for when picking a metal enclosure/project box for the de-10?
WILL1384

Re: Does a Metal Enclosure Need to Be Grounded?

Unread post by WILL1384 »

If you have something like three wire AC 120v going into the metal case, then yes you should ground the metal case, that is just standard wiring, and I always try my best to have all the ground wires all go to the same point on the metal box, and that ground point is normally a nut and bolt, bolted to the case.

You ground a metal case for safety reasons, if the case is grounded, and there is a wiring problem or short, the electricity will go to ground, and not you.

BTW, you should also have a fuse holder mounted into the case, and use a low amperage fuse.

If you have DC 5V going into the metal box then no, but a fuse would be some nice extra protection.
JayRockets

I'm just putting the de10 nano inside and drilling a hole for the power supply and usb, hdmi, and ethernet panel mounts. I'm not doing any wiring just plug extension cables into ports. I had just noticed on the reviews for this nice inexpensive vented project box I bought that people were mentioning thats it not grounded or shielded and wasnt sure if thwt would matter for what I'm doing with it.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

It wouldn't be hard to ground the case. As there multiple places to tap onto ground, example screwing the brass stand-offs into the metal of the case is often enough to get a ground connection going. Grounding would also protect from any static discharge.

If you are real nervous about it, having a wire going from the case to any of the many ground points on the DE 10 Nano, USB Hub or any connector with a shield ground would work fine.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
JayRockets

Here's the case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y7GWKGR/

Reviews mentioned that the top part of the case doesnt contact the bottom and all you'd have to do is put a screw or clip to make them contact and ground. But the front and back panels, where I'm putting the usbs and hdmi panel jacks, only contact the plastic frame so I was wondering why nobody seemed concerned with that.

Also, I'm not mounting the de10 directly to the bottom of the case. I was going to mount it to a piece of plexiglass on spacers and mount that with the screws that go into the feet under the case.

Not sure if this even something I need to worry about.
JayRockets

darksakul wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:29 pm screwing the brass stand-offs into the metal of the case is often enough to get a ground connection going.
Oh, maybe I should just skip the plexiglass then.
darksakul

JayRockets wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:39 pm
darksakul wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:29 pm screwing the brass stand-offs into the metal of the case is often enough to get a ground connection going.
Hard to say without knowing what enclosure you are using
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
darksakul

JayRockets wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:39 pm
Hard to say without knowing what enclosure you are using.

You can always have a wire going from top of the brass stand off going to a spot on the metal case.
There lot of places you can tap ground from, standoffs, the GPIO pins, the negative pole of the DC jack, the ground from one of the USB ports, ect.