Linux Q&A + Troubleshooting Megathread

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Natrox
Scripting Wizard

Linux Q&A + Troubleshooting Megathread

Unread post by Natrox »

W4y9wFD.png
W4y9wFD.png (78.28 KiB) Viewed 520 times

Generally what I've seen in the community is that many of you are not very familiar with Linux and the shell.
That is obviously fine, considering you did not build a MiSTer to play around with Linux necessarily.

Regardless, perhaps there is something you would like to do on your MiSTer that requires a little more knowledge?
Maybe you are getting a strange error, maybe you are having an issue with storage, or maybe with network access?.

Sometimes, to solve these kinds of issues, there may be a way to do this via the shell - rather than resetting the entire device.
Perhaps, maybe you are wondering if it is possible to do something that you have in mind but is not provided for you by the scripts?

Thus, I am starting this thread as a general place to foster more knowledge about Linux.

This is a fairly open-ended thread where you can both ask for help and help others, and talk about interesting things you've done.

Some examples of what you can post about:
- Questions regarding errors you are seeing, particularly ones while running scripts.
- Questions regarding fundamentals of Linux and the shell.
- Questions about whether you can get the MiSTer to do something that it does not do out-of-the-box.
- Theorycrafting on potential improvements that can be made for the general user of the MiSTer.
- Sharing of scripts and methods that help users.

I do want to put some limits in place to prevent help requests from getting drowned and to keep the thread on-topic and sensible.
Please refrain from doing any of the following:
- Promotion of desktop environments / kernel replacements / system replacements. Don't get me wrong, that's cool stuff, but it generally is not going to help the average user.
- Any kind of rant on which tool is the best, unless you can stay calm and factual. It is okay to say something like "that tool has some issues you should be aware of...", it is not okay to say "that tool sucks, this tool is better...".
- Belittling of new Linux users or elitism regarding your own power level. This is a place to learn and share, not to discourage and shame.
- Sharing of malicious scripts, obviously.

With that all out of the way, please, if you need help or have some ideas you want to see become reality, go ahead!
My hope is that this thread will help us improve the experience for the average user, while also giving people a chance to learn a bit of Linux (which can come in handy later).