CGC Round 6 core: Nintendo Game Boy Advance

Join other MiSTer gamers, take part in high score challenges.
PistolsAtDawn

CGC Round 6 core: Nintendo Game Boy Advance

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

This week's random core is the Nintendo Game Boy Advance!

Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance.jpg
Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance.jpg (31.48 KiB) Viewed 5695 times

Core info

Core review video

I think this handheld needs no introduction. There are a huge number of fantastic games available for this system, so it's going to be difficult for me to come up with only three nominations!

Please make your nominations (up to three) for games to add to our first list, and please second others' nominations as well.

When a week has passed, we will again make a game selection at random and begin playing!

CGC Game 5 - Riot City [Arcade] - is open for play!

Nominations:
Drill Dozer
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Wario Land 4
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Ninja Five-O (U.S.) / Ninja Cop (EU)
Gunstar Super Heroes
Warioware Inc
Astro Boy: Omega Factor

And the random game is Castlevania: Circle of the Moon!
PistolsAtDawn

Re: CGC Round 6 core: Nintendo Game Boy Advance

I nominate:

Drill Dozer

Gunstar Super Heroes

TMNT

The GBA had a ton of games that were ports from other systems. Lots of remakes too. I tried to choose some that would be good for quicker plays. Something like Metroid: Fusion might not be well suited to this club due to its long-form gameplay (meant for saving and multiple hours of playing). Then again, I wouldn't NOT second it if someone else thinks they'd like to play it.

I've also played a large portion of the GBA catalog, so I tried to stay away from nominating those I'd played a lot before. It was tough, but I'm satisfied with my picks.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

I'll second Drill Dozer as that was on my list after going through a top 100 video.

I've only played the Zelda games on an emulator from this handheld, so all games are new to me and I've not used the MiSTer core yet either.

So others that looked interesting are...

Mario vs Donkey Kong
Wario Land 4

Like you I'd also play the Metroid games if nominated.
PistolsAtDawn

Hetzen wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:53 pm I'll second Drill Dozer as that was on my list after going through a top 100 video.

I've only played the Zelda games on an emulator from this handheld, so all games are new to me and I've not used the MiSTer core yet either.

So others that looked interesting are...

Mario vs Donkey Kong
Wario Land 4

Like you I'd also play the Metroid games if nominated.
Those seem to be good picks, so I will second all three.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Ninja Five-O (U.S.) / Ninja Cop (EU)

Looks and sounds unostentatious, but is one of the best portable 2D action games ever made. Deft combo of Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, Bionic Commando.

It's nice that this is one fewer people will have played.

As far as Castlevanias go Circle of the Moon is a rather interesting one. Imperfect but unusual.
she/her
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Wave wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:45 am Ninja Five-O (U.S.) / Ninja Cop (EU)

Looks and sounds unostentatious, but is one of the best portable 2D action games ever made. Deft combo of Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, Bionic Commando.
Good shout. The top 100 I saw didn't show much gameplay when it mentioned this one.

Seconded. Possibly thirded.
charmless

Unread post by charmless »

I'll second Gunstar Super Heroes. I have played Gunstar Heroes on the Mega Drive a lot. It's awesome som I'm hoping the GBA version will be good too.

And I nominate:

- Warioware Inc. (just because of how crazy it is and I want to play more of it)
- Mario Golf Advance Tour (never really played the GBA version but I really like the Gamecube one)
- Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (played the first one a ton but never got in to the second one)

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

PistolsAtDawn

I second Warioware Inc. I almost had that as one of mine.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Astro Boy: Omega Factor... great game by Treasure

I third Wario Ware Inc and Circle of the Moon, both amazing games that everybody should try at least once...
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Newsdee wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:47 am Astro Boy: Omega Factor... great game by Treasure
I took another look at a long play video and it looks like a Megaman type of game where you decide which level you want to play next on a hex type progression map. Is that right?

It also looks as if you put experience into your abilities.

I'd play that. So seconded.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Hetzen wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:59 pm I took another look at a long play video and it looks like a Megaman type of game where you decide which level you want to play next on a hex type progression map. Ishat right?
It's a mix of megaman, a shmup, and gunstar heroes. The first part of the game is linear, you get a "bad" ending after world 7 but its not the real one (don't skip the credits to get an additional upgrade).

After that you can replay levels to unlock even more upgrades and unlock new levels until you get the true ending (e.g. make sure to replay the tutorial as that unlocks an extra level). World 8 is only available in this mode.

There's an evolving story going on for the whole thing so it doesn't feel they just loop the game. If you like astro boy / atom its really fun (based on one of its mamga reboots). If you dont know the character, the game story is quite detailed anyway.

I got the game when it came out and it was so good it was a huge surprise :)
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Newsdee wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:22 pm
Hetzen wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:59 pm I took another look at a long play video and it looks like a Megaman type of game where you decide which level you want to play next on a hex type progression map. Ishat right?
It's a mix of megaman, a shmup, and gunstar heroes. The first part of the game is linear, you get a "bad" ending after world 7 but its not the real one (don't skip the credits to get an additional upgrade).

After that you can replay levels to unlock even more upgrades and unlock new levels until you get the true ending (e.g. make sure to replay the tutorial as that unlocks an extra level). World 8 is only available in this mode.

There's an evolving story going on for the whole thing so it doesn't feel they just loop the game. If you like astro boy / atom its really fun (based on one of its mamga reboots). If you dont know the character, the game story is quite detailed anyway.

I got the game when it came out and it was so good it was a huge surprise :)
That's a strong recommendation. I'll definitely give it a go.
PistolsAtDawn

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is the random pick this week!

Also: I may have to travel this week for a funeral. If I do, I will most likely just pull another random game from our list for the GBA and post that as a bonus round in place of a new random core. We have a great selection of games this time, and I was thinking of suggesting we do that anyway. I should know for sure by tomorrow at the latest.
PistolsAtDawn

I am going to be traveling this week and may not be available next weekend, so I am going to go ahead and hit the randomizer again on this list instead of on a new core. This will serve in place of the new game that would have been selected after nominations this coming weekend (the 10th), and unless anyone objects we'll do this again on the 17th along with randomly selecting a new core from the Computer category. This is so there's no gap in games to play and also because this core is so excellent and our list for it was too.

GBA Bonus Round I: Astro Boy: Omega Factor!
charmless

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:27 pm I am going to be traveling this week and may not be available next weekend, so I am going to go ahead and hit the randomizer again on this list instead of on a new core for this week. This will serve in place of the new game that would have been selected after nominations this coming weekend (the 10th), and unless anyone objects we'll do this again on the 17th along with randomly selecting a new core from the Computer category. This is so there's no gap in games to play and also because this core is so excellent and our list for it was too.

GBA Bonus Round I: Astro Boy: Omega Factor!
Sounds good. Take it easy and focus on your travels.

PistolsAtDawn

Wave wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:45 am Ninja Five-O (U.S.) / Ninja Cop (EU)

It's nice that this is one fewer people will have played.

As far as Castlevanias go Circle of the Moon is a rather interesting one. Imperfect but unusual.
I gave this game a spin, and I wholeheartedly agree it's a great portable game! My only gripe is that you can't always attack when you want to, but once you get used to the rhythm of the game it's not too hard. I wish it was a little bit longer though.
phillai

Unread post by phillai »

I nominate...
1. Rhythm Tengoku (Japan) (My number 1 pick) - This is such an amazing game - More people need to know about this incredible and addictive rhythm (Japanese release only) game!
2. WarioWare: Twisted! (US) - Great game if you have the physical cart, impossible to play on MiSTer (try and you will see what I mean!) 😉
3. GT Advance (US)
PistolsAtDawn

phillai wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:55 pm I nominate...
1. Rhythm Tengoku (Japan) (My number 1 pick) - This is such an amazing game - More people need to know about this incredible and addictive rhythm (Japanese release only) game!
2. WarioWare: Twisted! (US) - Great game if you have the physical cart, impossible to play on MiSTer (try and you will see what I mean!) 😉
3. GT Advance (US)
Hello! I'm happy that you would like to participate! However, I am sorry to say that we had already closed the nominations off for this core, but we will randomly select a new core this coming Saturday (next up is one of the computer cores), and nominations will be open for that core as soon as the thread is posted. I may even post it tomorrow since I've got my in-laws in town this weekend.

Please do check back soon!

Also, about WarioWare, I think it may be possible to support the motion controls in it eventually since modern controllers have them too. I thought I'd remembered someone talking about getting it to work on MiSTer before, but I could easily be wrong. Wario Land 4 was nominated and seconded for this round, and I know that is able to be played on the MiSTer.
mister_fan

Unread post by mister_fan »

Check out this Japanese to English Romhack for Rhythm Tengoku, it is definitely worth a play
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1762/
mister_fan

Unread post by mister_fan »

Can't help but post even though GBA game selection is closed sorry haha :mrgreen:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is one of what I think of as "comfort food JRPGs". You know what I mean maybe? These are usually easy, chill, wholesome games with nice vibes and relaxing grindy gameplay. Another example on the GBA would be Harvest Moon Mineral Town. Games like Megaman Legends and Dark Cloud.

Never understood why people compare Tactics on Playstation (amazing game) to Tactics Advance (amazing in totally different ways IMHO). I guess Tactics Advance is too easy for many. Still the game was ambitious for GBA and had a unique system by where you learn your abilities from weapons, making stealing really important. I kind of think of Tactics Advancce as a management game almost. Need a relaxing grind you can put like 300 hours into? Give it a try maybe, its worth getting through the snowball fight.

For people who hate the law system in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance here's a law removal romhack https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/941/

Bonus: Best diablo clones on the GBA? Shining Soul 2 and LOTR Return of the King.
charmless

mister_fan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:42 am Bonus: Best diablo clones on the GBA? Shining Soul 2 and LOTR Return of the King.
Yes!