Saves in Earthbound, Need Help

Vara

Saves in Earthbound, Need Help

Unread post by Vara »

Hey all

I played up to level 8 in Earthbound yesterday, went for a save at the telephone (save point), when I came on black this morning to "continue" the game from the main menu, I suddenly saw I was only level 3. I am totally confused now. What must I do to properly, 101% make sure, that in Earthbound, it actually saves from the normal in-game save points (telephone) ? Very frustrating now, not knowing if it actually saves or not.

Autosave is ON (no idea if this is of any importance in games that have in-game save options). How about that Save Back Up Ram etc? Must I do anything there?

I am deeply confused here and afraid to replay all for the exact same to happen again.
AngelicLiver

Re: Saves in Earthbound, Need Help

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Did you remember to open the OSD (this is when saves are written to disk) before cutting the power to your MiSTer?
Vara

Unread post by Vara »

yeah, I did. Do I have to also turn the auto-save function on each time I play and then enter the OSD before turning it off? I am not that familiar with the SNES core save functions I'm afraid.
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

Vara wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:49 pm yeah, I did. Do I have to also turn the auto-save function on each time I play and then enter the OSD before turning it off? I am not that familiar with the SNES core save functions I'm afraid.
The auto save option will be permanent if you save the settings in the core menu. Thereafter, the only thing that you need to remember is to open the core menu before powering off.
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

If you want that extra level of reassurance and have an IO board, the OSD LED will light when new save data is ready to be written to disk. When you open the OSD you should briefly see the saving notification and the LED should go out. But yeah, just check that your core settings are saved and that it is persisting between core changes/power cycles.